Chantix

Options
Has anyone experienced rapid weight gain with chantix?
My eating habits are roughly the same as when I started it (which are unhealthy in multiple ways) but I wasn’t gaining until I started it. I do plan to start living a healthier lifestyle anyway though.
Quitting smoking is more important to me than the weight gain, but I’m worried I will continue to gain more weight.
I want to continue taking it because of how well it is working for me as far as quitting.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to get through this?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Are you replacing smoking a cigarette with snacking? Are you more hungrier than usual?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on deciding to quit! I'm four days in on what I hope will be my final attempt, because I really, really don't want to do this again. >.<

As for the Chantix, medication-induced weight gain almost always comes down to a change in appetite, and I think people are surprised how easy it is to add a few hundred calories to their day without really noticing it. I would suggest that you watch your calories more closely, although depending on how much time it's been, it's possible that you're just seeing a water weight increase. Good luck!
  • kittycatmeorw
    kittycatmeorw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’m just starting to track everything. I haven’t noticed an increase in appetite, but it is possible.
    I definitely noticed an increase when I tried to stop cold turkey. Which is why I kept smoking instead haha.

Thanks for the input. I’ll continue to track.

And congrats on trying to quit as well. 4 days is a huge accomplishment! It’s all about one day at a time!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Well done for trying to quit. I quit 2.5 years ago, cold turkey, after 20 years at 2 packs a day. I was advised at the time to concentrate on the quitting as it is a life threatening issue (not in my perticular case, but in general for everyone) and not on my diet. And this is exactly what I did. I didn't pay attention to it at all. After about 6 months I had enough confidence I've quit for good so I started losing weight by logging here. I had gained about 10-15lbs during these 6 months.

Since then I've lost 30lbs in total and never had another puff. It was successful for me so my advise is to do as I did.

Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I've done in my life (yes, I have kids :wink: ). It is of paramount importance that you quit. Use whatever help you can get. Including food. It won't be forever. You can lose it after. Don't jeopardise your attempt!!

Good luck!
  • dovnkels
    dovnkels Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I quit with Chantix. I gained weight and blamed the medication. I stopped taking it. Although I was still successful with my quit, I should have stuck with the medication to make it a gentler process. The weight gain was coming from all the hard candies and suckers I was using in place of the smokes... I didn't think they were a big deal so I never tracked them. Easily up to 500 calories added per day!
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the dr. tomorrow to get a prescription for chantix. I'm nervous about appetite and gaining. I've been losing for 3 months so now it's time to quit smoking and really focus on overall health.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the dr. tomorrow to get a prescription for chantix. I'm nervous about appetite and gaining. I've been losing for 3 months so now it's time to quit smoking and really focus on overall health.

Weight gain is reversible if it happens (or even preventable if you keep an accurate calorie log), what I would be very careful with is the mental side effects some people can experience. Some people don't experience that, but I had to stop taking it after a few days because it was making me not right in the head.
  • jefamer2017
    Options

Weight gain is reversible if it happens (or even preventable if you keep an accurate calorie log), what I would be very careful with is the mental side effects some people can experience. Some people don't experience that, but I had to stop taking it after a few days because it was making me not right in the head.

I took it before but I stopped early because I quit smoking. I felt that I didn't need it anymore. I had some crazy dreams one of which if I close my eyes I can still see it like it's happening now. I quit for 1.5 years.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    me and chantix did not get along.
    it is considered weight neutral
    i think the weight gain is often due to people putting things in their mouth instead of cigarettes
  • amy740404
    amy740404 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I quit a 30 year pack or more a day habit 6 years ago. i took Chantix for about two months. I had nightmares that today I can’t even put into words! Woke up in terrors. I have never had a med side effect before. This one was so bad it actually scared me. I tell people my story cause to me - the side effects were amazinly scary.

I did gain but it was from over eating not the Chantix.

• Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used chantix when it 1st came out. I guess about 10 years ago. ;Didn't gain weight & can't remember any side effects. I recommend it - for me it was 100% successful. Pack a day smoker - worked for husband as well & he was up to 2 to 3 packs a day.
  • jbrooks3645
    jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My husband has been taking chantix for a Month now and hasn't gained any weight. His only side effect has been irritability/mood swings.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I believe I've read somewhere that smoking has an impact on the metabolism; not sure if this is true or not. But, between needing something to put in one's mouth and a changing metabolism, weight gain when quitting is not unusual. That's one reason it is not recommended to stop smoking and start weight loss at the same time. Being aware helps, so do what feels right for you--and yes, the weight is less significant than the smoking. Congrats on quitting.
  • tomorrowperfume
    tomorrowperfume Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Nicotine is an appetite surpressant. It's not the Chantix making you gain weight; the lack of nicotine is making you hungrier. If you haven't quit yet, it might be anxiety over quitting that's leading to nervous eating.

I quit cold turkey a year and a half ago, and non-smokers cannot understand what that's like. I have never felt like something controlled me the way cigarettes controlled me. Even the thought of quitting smoking filled me with dread. Congratulations on re-committing and good luck on your journey. You're close to being free.
  • jefamer2017
    Options
    On day 5 of chantix. Started having the vivid dreams 2 nights ago and my energy is way up and my mood is fabulous. I am usually easily annoyed by somewhat minor things but nothing is bothering me. I was so worried that chantix was going to cause me to be angry rather than just annoyed. It is so weird. I don't think I've ever felt so happy almost euphoric. This is crazy. Been smoke free for 16 hours now.
  • beccapax
    beccapax Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting!!! That is awesome. I'm a former smoker and now how hard it is. Get through the first month or so and it is a lot easier. You're going to feel so much better. :)

Regarding Chantix, weight gain is listed as a side effect in <1% of patients. Much more common are the following:

>10%:

Central nervous system: Headache (12% to 19%), insomnia (9% to 19%), abnormal dreams (8% to 13%), irritability (11%), suicidal ideation (11%), depression (4% to 11%)

Gastrointestinal: Nausea (16% to 40%), vomiting (5% to 11%)

1% to 10%:

Cardiovascular: Angina pectoris (4%), chest pain (3%), peripheral edema (2%), myocardial infarction (≤1%)

Central nervous system: Anxiety (8%), malaise (7%), agitation (5% to 7%), sleep disorder (3% to 5%), tension (4%), drowsiness (3%), hostility (2% to 3%), lethargy (1% to 2%), nightmares (1% to 2%)

Dermatologic: Skin rash (3%)

Gastrointestinal: Flatulence (6% to 9%), constipation (5% to 8%), dysgeusia (5% to 8%), abdominal pain (7%), diarrhea (6%), xerostomia (6%), dyspepsia (5%), increased appetite (3% to 4%), anorexia (≤2%), decreased appetite (≤2%), gastroesophageal reflux disease (1%)

Respiratory: Upper respiratory tract infection (5% to 7%), dyspnea (2%), rhinorrhea (≤1%)

When you quit smoking, you have a shift in your metabolic rate. This can effect your weight regardless of what you're eating, but you should definitely continue to track your intake to minimize the damage. Also, when you have a craving, try doing some kind of activity like 10 push-ups or 20 jumping jacks (for example - tailor to your needs) to take your mind off the craving.

The average weight gain during smoking cessation is 4-5 kg. Try not to let that get you down. The benefit of quitting greatly outweighs the risk of that weight gain, which you can work to take off after you've been though the quitting process a bit longer. However, if you are really concerned, you can ask your health care provider about other options available that can help to augment the smoking cessation-related weight gain.

Source:
    UpToDate.com
  • Thediamond13
    Thediamond13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Chantix didn’t work for me. I had to use the nicotine lozenges which worked amazing. I’m now 16 months quit. Congrats on quitting and keep up the good work!