Calories vs protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    mredge73 wrote: »
    Your current diet is a maintenance diet (you have been the same weight for a while). To gain muscle you need to add 500 calories per day to your diet in whole foods. Need roughly 100g protein and 3500 calories for 1 lb of muscle. Make sure you are lifting heavy at the gym, do 3-4 sets of each exercise for 4-6 reps each at 60-80% your max. Use compound exercises and work with a partner if you can to keep rest times between sets under 45 seconds.

Why whole foods?
  • jgzunich09
    jgzunich09 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Guess I should be happy with my BMI just want to cut body fat down a bit I don’t do cardio so I’m guessing that will help towards the cause with what I’m doing right now as far as my diet and workouts......
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    Thanx everyone for the info very helpful!!!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    jgzunich09 wrote: »
    Thanx everyone for the info very helpful!!!

This was actually a good post for a lot of reasons so don't feel like it was a silly question at all. A lot of people don't understand calories vs macros vs micros etc. Just remember that all macros are energy sources and producing energy is the primary goal of your metabolism. If you don't have enough energy you could eat 500g of protein and still not gain muscle since your body would be using much of it for energy requirements.

Good luck to you as you move forward.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Your current diet is a maintenance diet (you have been the same weight for a while). To gain muscle you need to add 500 calories per day to your diet in whole foods. Need roughly 100g protein and 3500 calories for 1 lb of muscle. Make sure you are lifting heavy at the gym, do 3-4 sets of each exercise for 4-6 reps each at 60-80% your max. Use compound exercises and work with a partner if you can to keep rest times between sets under 45 seconds.

So I can eat a whole cheeseburger, but not half a banana?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

So I can eat a whole cheeseburger, but not half a banana?

No, because, "whole foods." Duh!
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    Thanx wheelhouse I am much more informed now and am glad for this post have a great weekend people!!