Eating Someone elses Cooking

Options
Last night i ate dinner that had not cook my self it was dish my friend made i didnt want to seem rude by asking 100 questions about the food before i ate and it was really good but wasnt sure what to put i my diary afterwards How do guys handle these types of Situations?

Replies

• karikariboberry
    karikariboberry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    always offer to bring a dish, load up on yours, and have a little bit of theirs.
    Remember to always compliment what they made though!!
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Say you liked it a lot and ask for the recipe?
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Say you liked it a lot and ask for the recipe?

Great idea!

Otherwise, I would just choose something similar from the database and estimate.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Eat just a little bit and try to fill up on salad and/or veggies. You know what in those. You really can't add it, you just have to try not to overeat and count it as a "free" day! :)
  • KnottyRae
    Options
    I just ask. My friends know my situation and what I can/can't eat and they are very good about working with me on it. I'm not going to nag every one to death about every little thing, but if I tell them I'm eating vegetarian and they serve me meat, I respectfully decline. Likewise, if they just cook something, I ask what it is and inquire as to the ingredients. I think if you explain why then they will understand. And if they don't, maybe you shouldn't eat dinner with them anymore. (j/k ;) )
  • Staffyman
    Staffyman Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had that situation Sunday gone. To be honest, I just didn't fill in my diary for that day but just tried to work around it.

I didn't want to upload something that was inaccurate.
  • HazelAngelstar
    Options
    i had similar problem at weekend, was away from home for a family christening .... buffet was vegetarian - so i just had a big plate of salad, and roughly guessed the amount of coleslaw & potato salad I had (and it was made with light mayonaise, as my hubby prepared it).

I have a wedding on friday - so having melon as a started, and my main is chicken ... cant eat any of the desserts, so i am taking my own, plus a slice of wheat/dairy free fruit cake for when the wedding cake is passed around. That way, i can still enjoy my meal, but keep track at same time.
  • jkincaid0202
    Options
    OMG. I am going to run into this every Sunday. My fiancee and I have dinner at his parents house EVERY week without fail. I just started on here, so I haven't had to deal with it yet.

I'm thinking just try to make a general guess on what you're eating and then workout really well afterward?
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    If the ingredients aren't obvious to you I'd ask a bit about it. Your friend probably wouldn't be offended if you seemed like you were showing interest in his/her recipe.

As for adding it to my diary, I add each ingredient seperately by guessing how much I ate. ie. 1 cup of broccoli, 200 grams of ground beef, 1 tablespoon sour cream etc. I would use full fat/cal versions of the ingredients (regular ground beef, full fat sour cream/ cheese etc.) and then after adding the obvious ingredients I throw in a tablespoon or two or three of fat (butter, veg oil, olive oil) to account for the way things were cooked or the sauces and things that are less obvious. I feel that this gives me a decently accurate calorie count, and if anything I'm probably guessing more calories than less.

This is how I do it, I'll be interested to see how others do it :)
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If the ingredients aren't obvious to you I'd ask a bit about it. Your friend probably wouldn't be offended if you seemed like you were showing interest in his/her recipe.

As for adding it to my diary, I add each ingredient seperately by guessing how much I ate. ie. 1 cup of broccoli, 200 grams of ground beef, 1 tablespoon sour cream etc. I would use full fat/cal versions of the ingredients (regular ground beef, full fat sour cream/ cheese etc.) and then after adding the obvious ingredients I throw in a tablespoon or two or three of fat (butter, veg oil, olive oil) to account for the way things were cooked or the sauces and things that are less obvious. I feel that this gives me a decently accurate calorie count, and if anything I'm probably guessing more calories than less.

This is how I do it, I'll be interested to see how others do it :)

I do it this way too :)

I also take a small pocket size notepad and discreetly jot down notes & estimates of amount & ingredients - lots easier to log afterwards!

Asking for the recipe is good too - most of my friends are aware of my using MFP and are really helpful about sharing info.

Good luck!!
  • proats
    proats Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Its one meal!

Guesstimate as best you can, and go on with your life. The end.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I just ask. My friends know my situation and what I can/can't eat and they are very good about working with me on it. I'm not going to nag every one to death about every little thing, but if I tell them I'm eating vegetarian and they serve me meat, I respectfully decline. Likewise, if they just cook something, I ask what it is and inquire as to the ingredients. I think if you explain why then they will understand. And if they don't, maybe you shouldn't eat dinner with them anymore. (j/k ;) )

^ This. I am blessed with multiple food allergies some of which are kind of serious so I just ask, about EVERYTHING. Honestly, I invite people over instead. It's easier.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I demand printed recipes with all nutrients listed before I accept the invitation to their house.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I either ask for the recipe (epecially if it's something I truly enjoyed and want to try making myself) or guesstimate and find something comparable in the food database here.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't make friends with people in real life. If they try to invite me over for dinner, it's awkward asking them how they prepared it. It's just easier to not have friends.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,424 Member
    Options
    Its one meal!

This!!!
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    If you are that concerned about the meal DO NOT accept the invitation, stay hiome and cook for yourself, It was thoughtful of you friend to give you an invite,Im sure the last thing he/she wants is to be asked a milion calorie questions about the meal they just prepared for you ! One day isnt going to kill you ...Eat it and be gracious. Worry about the calorie intake later. This may cause them NEVER to invite you again .
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I stand behind people while they are cooking, scoff when they reach for oil and butter, and generally peeve them off till they ask me to leave.

:laugh:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Just ask. When someone asks me I am more than happy to tell them what's in it. If they have invited you to dinner I would suspect that they are proud of what they made.

Try saying this, "Oh, my gosh! This is delicious! What's in it?"
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Its one meal!

This!!!

+1