How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• Prudentes888
    Prudentes888 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Daily, however, I would say that ultimately it really doesn't matter. If this is the ultimate factor in whether someone is losing weight, they have bigger issues to tackle. I have struggled with weight loss for about 35 years ( I like to say I'm on "The 35 Year Diet Plan" ) but I've finally got it beat. I have been vegan for nearly 10 years and recently levelled up to a 100% whole foods plant-based eating regimen. Bingo! Within days my food cravings disappeared and finally, I'm in control of what I eat. I have been losing steadily no problem. It's actually easy now. For the first time, I have absolutely no doubt that I will reach my goal weight and maintain it for life.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    About 4-5 times per week, but I count my "official day" as Wednesday. I like several data points to be able to compare (i.e. - this Friday to two weeks ago, etc.) For me, weighing in several times helps to keep me accountable AND takes the pressure off a once a week expectation. It's been interesting to see how much my body fluctuates - I try not to stress over it and just aim for the overall trend of heading downwards. ;)
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Saturday morning, right after going to the bathroom, totally unclothed.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I have the Aria scale and weigh myself at least once in the morning. It also sync's with trendweight.com which I use to see whats going on. Right now what is going on is my weight is slowly going up and I know exactly why.

I can sometimes see a swing of 5lbs a day and this is usually connected to me not drinking enough water.

I wish MFP had a " I see you have gained a little weight since last weighing in. Your better then that come on man"
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Daily is very motivating for me.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    I'm really struggling with the whole thing at the moment, my eating has been out of control this week, I struggle to stay on track, I quite often have a bad day then say "Ohhh I'll start again next week", I normally weigh-in once a week but I'm not wondering if maybe weighing daily would be beneficial for me just to help me stay on track.

This works for me. "Next week" is too long an interval, you can backslide a couple of weeks worth of progress by being willfully ignorant.
  • rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a routine. I work for a medical/dental clinic. Every weekday I come into work and do a specific task. Once that is completed, I walk up around the clinic and check the scale as part of my walk. I don't weigh myself on the weekends. I track using Libra.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily first thing in the morning and after supper. I kind of want to have a feel for fluctuations. The only time that actually 'counts', though is Sunday AM, right after getting up and using the bathroom. Everything else is just to give me some idea of what to expect on weigh-in day.
  • neijya
    neijya Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Daily, in the evening (because it's convenient, right before I shower).
    Since weight fluctuates so much from day to day, I feel that a weekly weigh in could give the wrong idea (either positively or negatively). Plus, I like looking at the Google Fit graph! :smile:
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Daily! I used to do weekly but I would dread my weigh-in day and really stress about it the night before.
    Now it is just a pain because it is cold in the morning and I have to take off my nice warm pjs, but I am not stressed anymore.
  • Daze97
    Daze97 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I get up, do my business and then weigh myself. Every day.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Daily. It helps me see the fluctuations and keep me calm when the number goes up slightly. I feel way more in control of things because I can see if a certain food impacts me, as far as bloating ect...
    I also plan to weigh daily in maintenance. I'm nervous about maintaining so I'm hoping daily weigh ins will keep me in line. This way if the weight starts creeping up I can adjust as needed before it gets out of hand!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, in the morning post pee. I sometimes will weigh myself immediately before bed, post bathroom break as well. I do that to watch the trend and patterns of how much weight I carry at the end of the day compared to what I am the next morning. I've found I'm almost consistently 2.0lbs heavier before bed.

That's funny, I do that too, just to see how much I lose in my sleep, I refer to it as my active rest.
  • carrotsaregood
    carrotsaregood Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, at about the same time each morning. I record each change in mfp. Sometimes I weigh myself during the day (mainly if the am total changed a lb from day to day). I find it a little habit forming, so fascinating to see how it fluctuates over a day. I need it to help keep me accountable. Also it helps me to focus on the overall goal because there isn’t a magic number but rather a general range.
    I don’t measure either. I had planned to, but I can’t keep it in the same place. For that I’m looking forward to having collarbones and how things fit.
  • Hannah5147
    Hannah5147 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, really appreciate all the comments.
    Think i am going to weigh daily for a week or two and see how that goes. Will be nice to not have the pressure of a weekly weigh in.

I've lost 20lbs so far and have been at a little stand still for a few weeks, I've also had lots of celebrations recently so party food and lots of alcohol has been consumed. Hoping a daily weigh in will keep me in check and make me put down the snacks! Feel like i'm going into stage two of my weight loss!
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    neijya wrote: »
    Daily, in the evening (because it's convenient, right before I shower).
    Since weight fluctuates so much from day to day, I feel that a weekly weigh in could give the wrong idea (either positively or negatively). Plus, I like looking at the Google Fit graph! :smile:

Google Fit?!?!?
    I love Google, but have never heard of this! Must check it out!!!
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    When I did MFP before I only weighed once a week or even every other week. Daily can put you on an emotional roller. Weekly or less and you can really see if you are losing.
  • higdonaaron75
    higdonaaron75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and was feeling like I was obsessing with it but it's nice to see I am not the only one.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Daily and I use the weight trend app Libra to balance out the fluctuations.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    Daily, but don't allow it to mess with my mood