PCOS diagnosis and inositol

Options
FranksSandwich
FranksSandwich Posts: 22 Member
Obviously, by the title, I have PCOS. I'm looking for anyone that also has PCOS and has tried taking inositol. I bought the brand "ovasitol" and have been taking it for two weeks. So far, I have not noticed a difference. However, it's still early. Anyone else want to share their experience?

Replies

• crita50
    crita50 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Who recommended inositol and what is the goal related to PCOS? I have PCOS and had my hormone levels tested. My estrogen was high, insulin was high, and testosterone was very high. I was prescribed four supplements and balanced my hormone levels within six months. If you've only been using something for two weeks I wouldn't expect you to notice a difference.
  • FranksSandwich
    Options
    crita50 wrote: »
    Who recommended inositol and what is the goal related to PCOS? I have PCOS and had my hormone levels tested. My estrogen was high, insulin was high, and testosterone was very high. I was prescribed four supplements and balanced my hormone levels within six months. If you've only been using something for two weeks I wouldn't expect you to notice a difference.

Thanks for the reply. I am in medical research and noticed several studies where inositol was found to have a net positive effect on PCOS symptoms, namely metabolic syndrome. After years of standard approaches by several physicians which did not help, I decided to try this since it is available OTC. Which supplements did you take?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Obviously, by the title, I have PCOS. I'm looking for anyone that also has PCOS and has tried taking inositol. I bought the brand "ovasitol" and have been taking it for two weeks. So far, I have not noticed a difference. However, it's still early. Anyone else want to share their experience?

well the site says it takes 3 months to see a difference. why not go to a dr so they can see what your hormone levels are and then they can prescribe something to adjust them to levels where they need to be? its best to get a dr to check your levels and go from there, IMO you should not try and treat your condition yourself because there could be other underlying conditions. many with pcos have thyroid or other health issues that go hand in hand.
  • FranksSandwich
    Options

well the site says it takes 3 months to see a difference. why not go to a dr so they can see what your hormone levels are and then they can prescribe something to adjust them to levels where they need to be? its best to get a dr to check your levels and go from there, IMO you should not try and treat your condition yourself because there could be other underlying conditions. many with pcos have thyroid or other health issues that go hand in hand.

I'm trying this after the standard approaches by physicians, including endocrinologists, didn't help. They had me on several drugs and vitamins over the years, after which I saw no improvement. However, I still take some of the vitamins, because I probably do not metabolize them adequately through diet alone. Because of the current research, I decided to try the inositol. I plan to continue to take it, but was wondering if anyone else had any experience with it.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I'm trying this after the standard approaches by physicians, including endocrinologists, didn't help. They had me on several drugs and vitamins over the years, after which I saw no improvement. However, I still take some of the vitamins, because I probably do not metabolize them adequately through diet alone. Because of the current research, I decided to try the inositol. I plan to continue to take it, but was wondering if anyone else had any experience with it.

sometimes you have to keep going to different doctors or trying different meds to get results. my mother in law had health issues it took her 6 different doctors and a lot of misdiagnoses of her condition to figure out what really was the issue. my daughter is hypothyroid and it took her 2nd endo to diagnose her thyroid issue. the first one just told her she was insulin resistant(she is not) and needed to do a low carb diet and do 1200 calories(most days she ate less than that). didnt even try and treat her otherwise.

she went to another endo and found out she had a thyroid issue and she is not insulin resistant or pre-diabetic. she also tested my daughter for PCOS and her levels of hormones are fine. some drs will treat pcos with birth control. as for vitamins, they should not be prescribed unless deficient in said vitamin and sometimes it takes months to see results.

many here do low carb or keto for pcos as it seems to help them with symptoms. If you do not metabolize vitamins from diet alone then you have another health issue that needs looked into. how do you know you dont metabolize them like you should? many vitamins are fat soluble so you need adequate fat in your diet to metabolize them.

I have a few health issues and a lot of them were misdiagnosed as other issues too. then when other doctors did tests they found out it wasnt what was previous thought but something else entirely and once I was diagnosed properly and put on the right meds I started feeling better. if you think something is off or not right then get a second or even a third opinion until you get things figured out. not all doctors know what they claim,they often can miss things.so its worth checking into I think so anyway.
  • crita50
    crita50 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I took saw palmetto for my high testosterone, berberine for insulin, and EGCG and DMI for estrogen. I went to a Naturopathic Physician after my doctor and endocrinologist where of no help. At one time I was on the pill and a diabetes medication. I couldn't take the side effects of either. The naturopath did a full hormone panel to see exactly what I needed to take. My progesterone, thyroid, cortisol, and progesterone were all normal so she knew exactly what to prescribe. If you can find a good naturopath it might be worth seeing one. Sometimes it helps to start back at square one. Get the full panel and go from there. Like the other poster said it does take a long time to find a good doctor.
  • FranksSandwich
    Options
    I appreciate the responses. I don’t metabolize certain vitamins because of gastrointestinal issues and, likely, genetics (as with vitamin D, like a lot of people.) I’m fortunate enough to have access and the palate for a healthy, rounded diet.

It does take lots of time to find a good doctor, but I’ve been treating this, as well as my other issues, for 14 years. I’m in medicine myself, so I think it’s important to stay on top of current research. As we all know, the things we use to treat people are constantly changing. That’s why the research on inositol was intriguing, as it’s been found to help with the metabolic disease components associated with PCOS.