Vegan/Vegetarian Breakfast Ideas

Options
Hi everyone! I'm needing some plant based breakfast ideas! Bonus points if they're low carb. Trying to get back into the swing of weight loss post-baby and I'm struggling with ideas. TIA.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Plant based diets are typically higher carb diets.

Most vegetarians I know also eat eggs...vegans don't obviously...so a low carb vegetarian breakfast could be an omelette with some sauteed vegetables or something.

A vegan friend of mine usually has either oats or lentils for breakfast...not low carb, but I think low carb and plant based don't really make particularly good bed fellows...not that it can't be done, but it would be extremely limited in regards to variety.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Avocado and nuts
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies every morning. You could probably do the same and sub the milk for almond milk or silk or whatever your sub for milk is.
    serves 2: 2 bananas, 1 cup milk, 1 cup frozen fruit, 1 cup kale, splash of oj or 1-2 clementines, (optional: yogurt of some sort)blend and serve
    Oatmeal with fruit
    avocado toast
    peanut butter on just about anything
  • osowskip
    osowskip Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can use quinoa as a substitute for oats if you want a higher protein option. I use an instant pot, but this seems like recipe pretty close to what I use.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I honestly would have no idea how to go about low carb vegan. My favorite breakfasts usually contain eggs and some kind of starch. So maybe an English muffin with avocado, sautéed mushrooms and spinach, and two eggs (for two open faced sandwiches). Or scrambled eggs (or scrambled tofu for vegans) with black beans, leftover grilled vegetables, and hot sauce stuffed in a small pita. I guess you could get rid of the bread element of these items to reduce carbs if need be.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veg are almost entirelly made of carbs.
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Soy protein or other vegan protein powders plus fruits for AM smoothies. Also you can add chia see to the smoothies (grind first). I tried an interesting BF item that I saw on a blog the other day: use a baked sweet potato slice as the 'bread', then top with mashed avocado and an egg (If you're going vegan, then sub in another protein that you like). It was pretty good and kept me satisfied.
    Peanut butter is always a good protein item to add to smoothies or top fruits or waffles with.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried those particular ones, but how about something like these savory breakfast muffins?

https://www.kiipfit.com/flourless-zucchini-chia-savory-breakfast-muffins/

Make a batch on the weekend and freeze the extras. Take one (or two depending on your calories) out to thaw in the evening and enjoy it in the morning.
  • Simplyjesslauren
    Simplyjesslauren Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Avacado toast topped with tomatoes! Extremely filling!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Definitely not low carb (do you need to go low carb?), but I generally have oats every workday.

50g thick rolled oats
    5g hemp hearts
    7g ground flax
    4g unsweetened cocoa powder
    10g dried fruit
    80 g pumpkin puree
    half a banana (weighed - anywhere from about 55g to 80g)

I boil hot water in my electric kettle, pour over oats, and eat. I don't cook the oats.

I also love oats with just dates and apple, but adding everything else keeps me full until lunch - just oats, dates and apples don't.

Sometimes during the summer I'll do smoothies - half a banana, around 30g each of a frozen berry and some other frozen fruit, same amount of hemp hearts and flax as in my oats, 85g spinach or mixed greens, I think around 10g of shredded coconut, add water. Also often add carrots and cucumber and ginger.

ETA: I love avocado toast, especially with sauerkraut and paprika. But, I tend to eat half an avocado with my lunch every workday, so I don't eat avocado for breakfast often.
  • coffeebean1988
    coffeebean1988 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs practically every morning but I am dairy free due to severe lactose intolerance. I tried the vegan approach a few years ago and loved to make scrambled tofu (as an egg substitute) with added green veggies (typically high fiber = low net carbs). There are also a variety of low carb/ high fiber wraps and breads out there you can try with avocado or PB in the am! Or of course, protein shakes. I like to have something to actually chew for breakfast though so if I have a shake I usually have a snack with it ;)
  • ToriGabrielle
    ToriGabrielle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. I've recently been doing 2 scrambled eggs in the morning. I just mix up what I do with them. So like yesterday I scrambled them with spinach, mushrooms and red peppers and then topped them with green onion. This morning I did them with black beans, corn and peppers and then topped them with salsa and half an avocado. I think if you're vegan than you can just switch out the eggs for tofu.
  • DANELSY17
    DANELSY17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you want a low carb vegan breakfast then I suggest scramble tofu. If you don’t like tofu then try mixing some low carb nuts with things like berries, unsweetened cocoa powder, shredded coconut, chia seeds (or even make chia pudding), hemp seeds. Also, bulletproof coffee is still an option (minus the butter. I add MCT oil, unsweetened cocoa powder, sometimes PB2 (peanut powder).