I feel terrible...

Options
Ok,

So I'm on day 3 of my weight loss and overall healthy eating journey and since day 1 I've felt like crap.
Got a dull but consistent headache and a huge lack of motivation and energy.
My first thought was my hydration was wrong so increased my water intake and it has not helped.
I'm consuming about 1500 cal per day and according to the app I'm hitting my daily protein and carb targets as well as most of the vitamin targets.
I don't know what to do and I don't know how much longer I can suffer this... I even took a taxi to work today because I couldn't face walking for my train like I always do.

As an example of my daily food:
Day 1
Breakfast consisted of a cup of hot water with lemon and ginger, a bowl of oatmeal with 180ml whole milk and 2 hard boiled eggs.

Lunch consisted of a large self made salad with various dark leafy greens such as baby spinach and kale with baby tomatoes, spring onions and bell peppers with a very light splash of an olive oil and vinegar mixture.

Dinner consisted of a whole grilled chicken breast (about 120g) with some herbs and spices, 1 cup of cooked wholegrain brown rice and 2 cups for steamed broccoli.

An hour before bed I had another bowl of oatmeal and between breakfast and lunch I had a juice consisting of 4 carrots, 2 oranges and a large piece of ginger from my coldpress juicer.

I'm drinking 2-3 litres of water with no additives per day and urinating like a race horse.
What can I do to feel better and stop this headache and energy drop?

Many thanks!

Replies

• darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you were eating a lot more, let's say 3k calories before this, it may be too drastic of a change. Some would suggest slowly converting to your new calorie goals would be a way to not shock your system too hard (lowering your calorie goal for the day by 100-200 per week until you get to 1500). If this new lifestyle change you are doing is too drastic, it could cause you to quit.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,757 Member
    Options
    Did you cut off soda, energy drinks, or coffee?
  • DuaneBarbour
    DuaneBarbour Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Two questions, one did you happen to cut out anything like caffeine, and two what are your stats? It may be that your deficit is too extreme for your stats.

Yes, I've stopped drinking tea and coffee and coca cola etc.

I'm 6ft and 238lbs, male.
    Add table salt to your food, yw.

I thought adding too much salt led to water retention and bloating? Is the natural salt in food not enough?
  • brig220
    brig220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is not based on any science, but if you have been eating a lot more than 1500 a day, it may be too big of a deficit too quickly. It could be a shocker to your system. When I started, I was also uncomfortable at 1500 cal/day and I just had 10 # to lose, now it is a lot easier and I feel good, even when I workout. MFP tend to underestimate how much you should eat. It put me at 1200 but I lost easily at 1500-1600 cals/day.
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    If you really want to cut caffeine completely, give it like 2-3 weeks. Deal with the headaches for now, but thats how long it usually takes to completely withdrawl from it. I do agree you should add a little more food, like maybe some protein during lunch with your salad. For breakfast try to make your food more flavorful like, eggs/spinach/bell peppers/onions, or Toast with all natural peanut butter topped with sliced banana and or strawberries. Try half cup of rolled oats with 1 cup coconut almond milk, topped with organic maple syrup, cinammon and banana or strawberries.
  • DuaneBarbour
    DuaneBarbour Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Two questions, one did you happen to cut out anything like caffeine, and two what are your stats? It may be that your deficit is too extreme for your stats.

Yes, I've stopped drinking tea and coffee and coca cola etc.

I'm 6ft and 238lbs, male.
    Add table salt to your food, yw.

I thought adding too much salt led to water retention and bloating? Is the natural salt in food not enough?
    You have the symptoms of hypothyroidism from cutting out iodine in your diet. Headaches, weakness, mental fog. I'm fairly positive, go ahead and add salt and see if there's no improvement, what's the worse that can happen, bloating?

I'll look to add more salt too! Thanks for this!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Quick is not always better. You want your loss to be sustainable, now is the time to set the habits and way of eating that you can stick to long term so that when you get to your goal weight you're more likely to stick to it.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    This happened to me for the first 4 days. Ibuprofen didn't do anything to help the headache. By day 5 I felt fine.
This discussion has been closed.