Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    btente wrote: »
    jenster540 wrote: »
    Hey all its only been a few weeks that i have been diagnosed with high cholesterol. Just looking for some tips on what to avoid or great recipes of any of you have. Also could use some friends for support
    What was your cholesterol measured at? Did you have multiple measurements taken at month intervals?

Serum cholesterol is produced naturally by the body, but it also can be present from foods high in saturated fat and/or cholesterol.

If it's super high (like 300+) it could come from a genetic condition called familial hypercholestemia. If that's not the case, reducing cholesterol can happen very quickly. Many people have been able to reduce serum cholesterol by 100+ in a month from low-fat, plant based diets.

NOTE: I've reduced mine in personal experiments by 203 in less than 23 days.

If you want to provide the answers to the questions and some more diet info I'd be glad to help.

even with a low fat diet those with FH also have to incorporate exercise and for some meds. I have FH. foods high in fat will not effect a person who doesnt have FH like it does those with FH. I have to have my cholesterol levels tested every 3 months.The thing with FH it signals your body to make more cholesterol even when its high. your liver cannot process fats and cholesterol efficiently compared to those without FH.

so excess fats and cholesterol get stored in your arteries and so on,which can lead to heart attack,TIAs and stroke, left untreated it can also cause diabetes. you can also get cholesterol deposits under your skin called xanthomas and xanthelasmas(which I have) I also have fat pads/cholesterol deposits on my ankles and one on my knee from my cholesterol being high in the past.

I was thin when I first was diagnosed with high cholesterol. they had no idea it was genetic until a few years ago. It kept going up and up even though I was eating a low fat diet and on meds back then too,this time Im on a different medication,exercising and eating low fat ,low cholesterol and high fiber. had this for 15 years so far and for the first time my cholesterol is in the normal ranges.it took a long time for the cholesterol to come down even with meds. so it wont always come down fast in those with FH.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Hey all its only been a few weeks that i have been diagnosed with high cholesterol. Just looking for some tips on what to avoid or great recipes of any of you have. Also could use some friends for support
    What was your cholesterol measured at? Did you have multiple measurements taken at month intervals?

Serum cholesterol is produced naturally by the body, but it also can be present from foods high in saturated fat and/or cholesterol.

If it's super high (like 300+) it could come from a genetic condition called familial hypercholestemia. If that's not the case, reducing cholesterol can happen very quickly. Many people have been able to reduce serum cholesterol by 100+ in a month from low-fat, plant based diets.

NOTE: I've reduced mine in personal experiments by 203 in less than 23 days.

If you want to provide the answers to the questions and some more diet info I'd be glad to help.

even with a low fat diet those with FH also have to incorporate exercise and for some meds. I have FH. foods high in fat will not effect a person who doesnt have FH like it does those with FH. I have to have my cholesterol levels tested every 3 months.The thing with FH it signals your body to make more cholesterol even when its high. your liver cannot process fats and cholesterol efficiently compared to those without FH.

so excess fats and cholesterol get stored in your arteries and so on,which can lead to heart attack,TIAs and stroke, left untreated it can also cause diabetes. you can also get cholesterol deposits under your skin called xanthomas and xanthelasmas(which I have) I also have fat pads/cholesterol deposits on my ankles and one on my knee from my cholesterol being high in the past.

I was thin when I first was diagnosed with high cholesterol. they had no idea it was genetic until a few years ago. It kept going up and up even though I was eating a low fat diet and on meds back then too,this time Im on a different medication,exercising and eating low fat ,low cholesterol and high fiber. had this for 15 years so far and for the first time my cholesterol is in the normal ranges.it took a long time for the cholesterol to come down even with meds. so it wont always come down fast in those with FH.
    FH is pretty rare. I understand if it is FH then there will be different approaches needed.

Exercise doesn't directly reduce serum cholesterol levels.

in patients with FH exercise is recommended,especially cardio since it helps with blood flow and helps with the cardiovascular system. exercise has been proven to help with cholesterol levels. since people with FH have problems with the liver processing fats and cholesterol every little bit helps.and since we are at risk for cardiovascular issues its help to keep those things strong.

BUT some with FH especially those who inherited the gene from both parents and have it from birth or a very young age even those things may not be enough and, they have to go through a type of dialysis called apheresis to clear the cholesterol out of the blood stream. exercise can have effects on the lipids by reducing LDL Cholesterol and triglycerides and increasing HDL Cholesterol.so yes exercise can help.
  • jenster540
    jenster540 Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm not sure what the exact number was. My doc showed me but it didn't quite register. I only had 1 panel done.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I'm not sure what the exact number was. My doc showed me but it didn't quite register. I only had 1 panel done.
    Variance of cholesterol is usually up to 20% week to week. It's completely possibly you just had a high week. You need to get a couple more measurements at month intervals to make a real determination unless it was 260+. Call the doctor, ask for the results, and schedule another lipid panel.

depending on where she lives and her insurance some lipid panels can only be done every 3 months,some every 6 months. losing weight can also raise cholesterol for a short time too. Thyroid issues can also cause high cholesterol too. But I agree get your results and see what they are.I would ask about getting tested for FH since your parents have issues with cholesterol and early heart attack. OP Has your cholesterol ever been high before?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Variance of cholesterol is usually up to 20% week to week. It's completely possibly you just had a high week. You need to get a couple more measurements at month intervals to make a real determination unless it was 260+. Call the doctor, ask for the results, and schedule another lipid panel.

depending on where she lives and her insurance some lipid panels can only be done every 3 months,some every 6 months. losing weight can also raise cholesterol for a short time too. Thyroid issues can also cause high cholesterol too. But I agree get your results and see what they are.I would ask about getting tested for FH since your parents have issues with cholesterol and early heart attack. OP Has your cholesterol ever been high before?

Perhaps from an insurance coverage standpoint, but lipid panels can cost as little as $60 if you get the draw done outside of a hospital (private office, lab site, etc.). Nothing stopping her from getting them done, and even if her doctor isn't diligent enough to make the recommendation for more draws many other doctors do.

Yes, cholesterol can go up with weight loss. Glad to hear someone else pointing that out!

well yeah if she wants to pay for them sure she can do that. but for many even $60(again depending on area), can be too much for some to afford.I agree if her doctor isnt serious about checking into things then she needs to be proactive and find another doctor if possible. FH sucks to have and needs to be treated asap. Im just lucky that mine being misdiagnosed all those years didnt have a negative impact on my health if it has it hasnt reared its ugly head yet