Feeling discouraged

Options
Hi everyone...1st time posting here...I re started my diet and working out on March 1st...only lost 1 lbs so far and feeling discouraged by it. I track everything, eat good (at least I think so) and allow myself only 1 cheat day a week. Just venting to amyone who will listen.

Replies

• robinlynns2
    robinlynns2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you Babydoll! I hear ya! It’s tough. I’ve been on a diet for about 30 years now lol. In January I was the biggest I’ve ever been and decided to try Weight Watchers again. I’m lovin the new Freestyle program and have lost 22 lbs. maybe you should check it out. I figured I use my premium status here for some new food ideas and extra support.
  • Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi,
    Please don't take this wrong as I am only trying to help :)
    We are all biologically the same, if you have only lost 1lb in all that time the answer is very simple.
    You're eating too many calories on a daily basis, there is also a very slight chance that you're drastically under eating also, but I would have still expected a greater initial amount of weight loss, so I doubt this is the case.

This is my advice.
    A simple 500 calories deficit is enough for good weight loss.

The key to any diet is knowing exactly how many calories you need on a daily basis, and just eating under that number).

First you need to workout how many calories your body needs in a day (Total daily energy expenditure).

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning.

Input your data in this website www.tdeecalculator.net
    Choose whichever activity level is closest to yourself.

Then click the cutting calories button (under the macronutrients heading), this will give you your starting calories, and what you need to stick to on a daily basis.

Try to get as close as possible to your cutting calories every day, a little over or under is fine but no more than say 20 - 30 calories either way.

Foods to eat:

Absolutely anything you want, Just weigh and track everything you eat and drink inc milk in tea & coffee etc. (don't add calories back in when you've exercised, MFP will ask if you want to do this).

Check your TDEE on a weekly or daily basis, because it obviously drops as your weight comes down, and adjust calories accordingly in Myfitnesspal.

If you want quicker weight loss you can obviously add in cardio and or resistance exercises, not only will this help build muscle but it will also create a bigger calorie deficit.
    If you were to do this I would recommend just a 30 min incline walk on the treadmill or walk outside at a steady state.

Drink plenty water, at least 2-2.5 ltrs a day.

And that's it, just carry on until you are at the weight you want to be.

Good luck and have a great day!
  • kbsaclolo
    kbsaclolo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello friend! I am in no way a dietition, but, essentially, the amount of weight you lose will depend on your calorie deficit over time. You'll hear the phrase "calories in vs. calories out" a lot in the fitness community. Here's some more data.

To put it into perspective, 3500 calories is around 1 lb of fat. If you decide to go on a diet eating at a 200 calorie deficit every day, you will lose a pound in in around 18 days (This is super simplified, of course).

Now, put this cheat weekly "Cheat" scenario into perspective:

It's Monday. A new week has started and you tell yourself "I'm going to start my diet today!". You're able to maintain a daily 200 calorie diet up until Thursday. All in all, you've burned 800 excess calories (0.22 lbs).
    Uh - oh! It's Friday and the friends want to go have a night out. You tell yourself "Eh. I've had a pretty solid streak on my diet. I deserve this "cheat" night!". So you go out, you have some fun, but low and behold you decide to have 4 drinks and have a little snack. Suddenly, you've just ingested 800 calories in one night. You don't realize this, but you just ate 4 days worth of work in the span of an hour.

This scenario goes on repeat for over a month and then you get unmotivated and quit.
    /end scenario

Tl;Dr Calories in vs. Calories out. Cheat meals are evil. Weight loss comes with consistency and longevity.
    Good luck! :)
  • kashcopyright
    kashcopyright Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You just started! You gotta cut yourself a little slack. At first it's so much of a change just trying to get in the habit of logging meals and measuring serving sizes and finding exercise you enjoy. It's like a toddler learning to walk. But toddlers don't give up until they can get into everything!

Try to find multiple reasons to keep it up --I remember what really kicked me into gear was when I got crazy high cholesterol levels on a health screening and decided I didn't want to be at such a risk for heart attack. I started running and focusing on heart healthy foods and when the pounds started falling off it was even more motivation!

PS you've lost a guinea pig of weight
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you've been at this for 3 weeks, have lost 1 pound. Not a horrid start.
    A few things to think about...
    How are you tracking your food? Are you using a digital scale to weigh all solids/semi solids? Using measuring cups/spoons only? Eyeballing?
    You've just started working out as well. Your body will retain a bit of water weight for muscle repair.
    You're having a cheat day each week? Are you logging everything you have on that day? How much is it derailing you?
  • babydollzr2
    babydollzr2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you're just venting, that's okay. If you want to lose weight, you have to control your calorie intake. That's what your calorie target and food diary is for. A cheat MEAL can easily wipe out a week's deficit; nobody serious about losing weight has a cheat DAY per week. You can eat anything you want, but you can't cheat. Eating whatever you want, will make cheating redundant anyway.

• noumena_
    noumena_ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you're just venting, that's okay. If you want to lose weight, you have to control your calorie intake. That's what your calorie target and food diary is for. A cheat MEAL can easily wipe out a week's deficit; nobody serious about losing weight has a cheat DAY per week. You can eat anything you want, but you can't cheat. Eating whatever you want, will make cheating redundant anyway.

ugh. i needed to hear this today. <3
  • babydollzr2
    Options
    No Im not a body builder, I said I have body builder friends. Let me re-define my cheat day...I still eat good foods all week, but allow myself to have maybe pizza or ice cream one day...I dont believe if I eat ice cream and pizza on a daily basis that I'll lose any weight. How can anyone think they can eat that daily and lose weight? What do you people think a cheat day is?? And I'm not trying to lose weight so people notice as you say...I'm doing it for myself. And what I posted wasn't a revenge post at all. I was replying to a comment. This is exactly what I did last year and had lost weight...I went off my workouts and tracking but decided to go back to it and just didnt lose as quick as I did last year so I decided to voice it because I felt a bit discouraged by it. I now see that was a mistake...I wish you all the best in your goals.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You can eat ice-cream and pizza every single day and still lose weight. You might not get all the vitamins and minerals you need but if you kept within your calorie goal (set to lose), you certainly could still lose weight. Many people use cheat days as an excuse to eat whatever they want and often don't log it. So probably, when you referenced your cheat meal, we all thought you meant that you ate a whole pizza and a carton of ice-cream. That amount of calories, in addition to anything else you ate that day, might in fact derail weight loss. But it might not!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I do control my calorie intake...hense the reason I'm on this app!! As to your comment of nobody serious about losing weight has a cheat day a week...well your wrong there...I am friends with body builder competitors and they all have 1 day where they allow themselves to have something they normally wouldn't. If you don't allow that then your body will crave it and you will over indulge in it at some point. If you want to lose weight, no you can not just eat whatever the heck you want...what's the point of trying to lose weight then...you need to eat healthy and clean. If someone eats snacks and crap everyday they arent going to lose weight. I understand that I'm not losing much since I don't have 100s of pounds to lose. I have 15 more to go and the less you have to lose the harder it is. I came here to connect with people who are willing to listen not criticise.

I have never had a cheat day in 4+ years. Do I eat the things I want? Yes, but not EVERYTHING I want. I work them in if I have the calories and have met my nutrient goals. Also some people go overboard on their cheat days and completely erase their deficit for the week.

That said, how are you measuring your calorie intake? Do you log the cheat days?
  • babydollzr2
    Options
    Yes I log everything...How about I rephrase cheat day to I eat clean all week and 1 day a week I'll have some candy, or ice cream, or something I dont eat during the week. And I could never eat a whole pizza or a whole carton of ice cream...I'd never gave room for it..I don't believe in eating these foods on a daily basis will help in weight loss. Everyone seems so focused on this cheat day thing. I log everything everyday, I stay under my calorie goal intake and watch all the other categories..carbs, sodium, sugar, fat, etc...as I've said before, I don't have much to lose so I know it's harder. I'm sorry I came on here. I feel like all I'm doing is defending myself against a day I happen to call a cheat day which is only a day I decide treat myself and eat something I normally wouldn't. I guess I'll just stick to my friends and family...sorry. As i said earlier I wish everyone the best
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Yes I log everything

Yes, but people are asking how you are measuring it. Do you own a food scale and use it? That's the only way to know for sure how many calories you're really eating. Take your ice cream, for example- you can cram a lot more than the serving size in a half cup measuring cup.

However, with 15 lbs to lose, if you have lost 1 lb in about 3 weeks, that's actually about right. You probably don't want to hear it, but the recommended rate of loss with that little to lose is .5 lb/week. Plus, smaller amounts of fat loss can be easily masked by water weight fluctuations (especially for women), so it could well be more than that.

If your friends & family are the ones that have told you you can't lose weight unless you "eat clean", you should probably stick around MFP. Check out the success stories and listen to the comments of successful users here on your post :)
  • babydollzr2
    Options
    Yes I weigh and measure things...and dont cram extra in. I know its harder with less to lose...thats what I've been saying. I just wanted to see more than 1 pound and felt bad is all since last year I lost more doing the same thing. I didn't mean to start anything...people misunderstood my "cheat day" and I felt like I was being attacked.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yes I weigh and measure things...and dont cram extra in. I know its harder with less to lose...thats what I've been saying. I just wanted to see more than 1 pound and felt bad is all since last year I lost more doing the same thing. I didn't mean to start anything...people misunderstood my "cheat day" and I felt like I was being attacked.

Please don't be discouraged! Keep in mind, the same questions/issues get raised over & over again on these forums and people often cut to the chase. Usually, when people refer to a "cheat day", it means just that- an entire day of eating whatever they like- so this is likely what people assumed.

However, everyone is correct in stressing the importance of accurate logging. Particularly with so little to lose, you have almost no room for error. Your logging needs to be spot-on- weighed to the gram- and you need to be careful that you are choosing correct database entries. If you eat a homemade vegetable stir fry, and you log a random vegetable stir fry from the database, they're not going to be the same.

And truly- you don't need to eat the nutritionally perfect diet to lose weight. Telling yourself that a slice of pizza or a dish of ice cream is a failure is really not constructive. In a calorie deficit, you will lose weight regardless, and as long as you are otherwise meeting your nutrition goals, you should regularly include foods you enjoy. Since losing weight is tough, we don't want to make the process any more daunting than it needs to be.

Hang in there- you're doing great! :) Maybe check out the "most helpful" posts:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes I log everything...How about I rephrase cheat day to I eat clean all week and 1 day a week I'll have some candy, or ice cream, or something I dont eat during the week. And I could never eat a whole pizza or a whole carton of ice cream...I'd never gave room for it..I don't believe in eating these foods on a daily basis will help in weight loss. Everyone seems so focused on this cheat day thing. I log everything everyday, I stay under my calorie goal intake and watch all the other categories..carbs, sodium, sugar, fat, etc...as I've said before, I don't have much to lose so I know it's harder. I'm sorry I came on here. I feel like all I'm doing is defending myself against a day I happen to call a cheat day which is only a day I decide treat myself and eat something I normally wouldn't. I guess I'll just stick to my friends and family...sorry. As i said earlier I wish everyone the best
    It's a good thing to reserve treats for the weekend, but the treats in themselves, or the time you eat them, isn't what makes you lose or not lose, it's your total calorie intake over time. You don't have to watch any other number than your calorie target. When you reserve treats for the weekend, you're automatically eating more healthily. Eating clean can mean anything, so it means nothing, nutritionally speaking - usually it means restrictive eating, cutting out certan, random, foods that are perfectly healthy - so it's usually more of a philosophy - avoiding mundane pleasure from food, which gives the clean eater a feeling of achivement and pride. Healthy eating is almost the opposite - attention to nutrition, but also seeking enjoyment from the food you choose, and trustingly allowing oneself that enjoyment.

I understand that coming in here can feel like a shock to the system, and as being attacked. But it's the ideas, not you, that's "under attack". Our mentality is very very different from the mainstream media's diet tips! But you can also think of it as a gamechanger. You're doing and focusing on lots of hard and ineffective rituals. Understanding what's important, and why, frees up time and mental energy to focus on that, and you'll ensure you'll reach your goals, and be happier while you're working towards them as well.
    Yes I weigh and measure things...and dont cram extra in.
    Calorie counting is based on weighing everything, and it doesn't sound like you're doing that. Weighing makes cramming impossible. Measuring encourages cheating. Cheating is, generally, negatively associated with healthy eating.