Diet soda count towards water?

Can diet soda count for water intake? I know it’s not pure water but does have lots in it.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Can it? Sure. Does it? Up to you.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Yes. It’s about 99.4% water.
  • davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Every liquid you drink is bound to be largely water. Regular soda by volume contains a significant amount of corn syrup and some alcoholic drinks contain significant amounts of - you guessed it - alcohol.

Carbonated water is slightly acidic, although this becomes quickly neutralized by your saliva. Some IBS sufferers find carbonated water to increase the severity of their symptoms.

There have been studies on the difference between carbonated and non-carbonated mineral waters and generally there has been no effect observed between the two in terms of blood calcium or bone density.

Cola drinkers (sugary soda) however, have been observed to have lower hip bone density in middle aged women, although researchers speculate that this has more to do with caffeine intake than anything else.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,219 Member
    You need to be hydrated. Most liquids are made of water. Those that aren't (like oil) are easy to distinguish using common sense.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Yes count it.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Sure. Why not?
  • luce_de_luce
    luce_de_luce Posts: 41 Member
    On the topic of logging diet soda, do those calories add up? I realize there are 0 calories per serving, but if I drank an entire 2 liter bottle of Diet Coke that would be a significant number of calories, wouldn’t it? I’ve had no luck trying to figure this out.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I ran an online nutrition profile and even at 20 2l bottles the calories are insignificant.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    If I didn't count my tea, diet soda (mind you I do log my diet coke separately), or coffee as my "water/liquid intake" in addition to my soups and milk and still went for 2l a day I'd end easily up drinking like 5+l of liquids - which would mean running to the bathroom every 20 minutes all day long

There's days where the majority of what I drink are herbal tea and some diet soda.. I never feel dehydrated
    Also, I've actually had people argue with me saying that my (non-flavoured) mineral water "didn't count as water" because it wasn't plain water - which confused the heck out of me
  • jjalbertt
    jjalbertt Posts: 98 Member
    It's up to you really, I don't log anything with caffeine as my water intake... although all herbal teas I drink I consider as my water intake.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    I saw significant skin improvement when I cut out daily soda consumption in favor of 101oz of water a day.

You'd only know if it was cutting the soda that helped if you'd done both alongside each other.