Eating in a deficit help

Options
13»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    kazane1 wrote: »
    So is the general rule of thumb that you bulk until you get to your desired weight and then you cut for two months and then repeat the cycle then? Would this work?

Understanding that you are avoiding becoming over fat, after your first 10 pounds gained (5 months) assess where you are. You are going to gain body fat and I presume you are not going to want to bulk too far outside your comfort zone. Keep in mind 2 months cut is a mini cut and about 4 pounds. You could ultimately decide you are happy with gaining another 5 pounds and do a longer cut later.

With my experience I would bulk till I have reached goal weight or my body fat increased to the point where calorie partitioning became an issue.
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    So is the general rule of thumb that you bulk until you get to your desired weight and then you cut for two months and then repeat the cycle then? Would this work?

Understanding that you are avoiding becoming over fat, after your first 10 pounds gained (5 months) assess where you are. You are going to gain body fat and I presume you are not going to want to bulk too far outside your comfort zone. Keep in mind 2 months cut is a mini cut and about 4 pounds. You could ultimately decide you are happy with gaining another 5 pounds and do a longer cut later.

With my experience I would bulk till I have reached goal weight or my body fat increased to the point where calorie partitioning became an issue.

@RoxieDawn
    This is really insightful and helpful thank you!
  • kazane1
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

The general rule is "Bulk until you hate yourself, cut until you can't stand it any more".

Haha okay thanks for the advice!
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    In a precious thread I was speaking about not putting on weight even though I’m eating 3,089 and this is a surplus for me and someone responded by saying..

From Arnold Schwarzenegger's "How To gain Muscular Weight and Massiveness", 1975:

(Desired bodyweight x 23) + 25% = Calories needed

Eat additional 500-750 calories on workout days.

To increase weight to 140...

140 x 23 = 3220

3220 x 25% = 805

3220 + 805 = 4025 calories needed on non-workout days

4525 to 4775 calories needed on workout days.

*Since you are only eating just over 3000 calories you will not gain weight.

Unless you're training like Arnie, I wouldn't eat like Arnie...not to mention the juice.

For all we know arnold could have used anabolic steroids. Arnold was an elite body builder and what worked for him probably won't work for you in all honesty.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    In a precious thread I was speaking about not putting on weight even though I’m eating 3,089 and this is a surplus for me and someone responded by saying..

From Arnold Schwarzenegger's "How To gain Muscular Weight and Massiveness", 1975:

140 x 23 = 3220

3220 x 25% = 805

Unless you're training like Arnie, I wouldn't eat like Arnie...not to mention the juice.

For all we know arnold could have used anabolic steroids. Arnold was an elite body builder and what worked for him probably won't work for you in all honesty.

Could have?

LOL. :D
  • kazane1
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »

140 x 23 = 3220

3220 x 25% = 805

I agree lol
  • kazane1
    Options
    If my maintenance was 2,800 and I was eating at a 3,300 surplus for a long time and gained weight
    And put on muscle could I then eat at a 3,050 deficit and still reveal a six pack even though technically I’m still eating in a surplus compared to my original maintenance level?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If my maintenance was 2,800 and I was eating at a 3,300 surplus for a long time and gained weight
    And put on muscle could I then eat at a 3,050 deficit and still reveal a six pack even though technically I’m still eating in a surplus compared to my original maintenance level?

If 3,050 is a deficit, the answer is YES.

A good indication of whether it might now be a deficit for you would be to look at how fast you're adding weight when eating at 3300.

It would also depend on how much you have to lose to reveal that six-pack because as you lose weight your maintenance level lowers unless you adjust via activity
  • kazane1
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

If 3,050 is a deficit, the answer is YES.

A good indication of whether it might now be a deficit for you would be to look at how fast you're adding weight when eating at 3300.

It would also depend on how much you have to lose to reveal that six-pack because as you lose weight your maintenance level lowers unless you adjust via activity

Ahh great thank you for answering this, I did think this to be the case but I was unsure as I am still learning about a lot of body building ways. Thanks for the advice.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What are your goals, who gave you this advice to run short surpluses like that? I feel like that is a great way to spin your wheels and make very little progress. If you want to gain, running a surplus for at least 4 months or more would be better, then cutting. Or alternatively eating at maintenance and recomping could be an option, again depends on your stats and goals.

Agreed that the timeframe in the OP seems rushed for bulk/cut cycles. My husband goes by seasons mostly and that seems to work for him. That’s 3-4 months bulk and then a 3-4 month cut
  • kazane1
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    What are your goals, who gave you this advice to run short surpluses like that? I feel like that is a great way to spin your wheels and make very little progress. If you want to gain, running a surplus for at least 4 months or more would be better, then cutting. Or alternatively eating at maintenance and recomping could be an option, again depends on your stats and goals.

Agreed that the timeframe in the OP seems rushed for bulk/cut cycles. My husband goes by seasons mostly and that seems to work for him. That’s 3-4 months bulk and then a 3-4 month cut

Yeah thank you that’s what I’m doing from now on I’m going to bulk for 4months then cut for 3-4 months :)
    Btw what’s a recomp?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options

Yeah thank you that’s what I’m doing from now on I’m going to bulk for 4months then cut for 3-4 months :)
    Btw what’s a recomp?

I’m working on recomp. It’s a very slow process that involved eating at our near your calories daily without deficit or surplus. I track my protein intake closely and lift weights. The goal is to lose the remaining extra fat while building muscle. I would not recommend anyone try recomp until they have reached a healthy weight and are within 5-10lb max of goal weight.
  • kazane1
    Options

Btw what’s a recomp?

I’m working on recomp. It’s a very slow process that involved eating at our near your calories daily without deficit or surplus. I track my protein intake closely and lift weights. The goal is to lose the remaining extra fat while building muscle. I would not recommend anyone try recomp until they have reached a healthy weight and are within 5-10lb max of goal weight.

So a recomp is where you just eat at your daily maintenance calories and stick to that and just that never eating more never eating less just sticking to the maintenance no matter how much cardio you do or weight training you do you just allways eat the same amount of calories ?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Btw what’s a recomp?

So a recomp is where you just eat at your daily maintenance calories and stick to that and just that never eating more never eating less just sticking to the maintenance no matter how much cardio you do or weight training you do you just allways eat the same amount of calories ?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • kazane1
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Btw what’s a recomp?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Thanks for this!