Scale Anxiety

Options
Simplyjesslauren
Simplyjesslauren Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I restarted my diet 3 months ago and I havent gotten on the scale once. Mentally, somehow not weighing myself has always kept me on track more than weighing myself. I have a 1000 calorie deficit daily and run 6 days a week. But I have to get on the scale on Sunday! However the mere thought causes full blown anxiety attacks. Does anyone else have this issue? Or maybe I'm just crazy...

Replies

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I totally get you OP. I have been there myself in the past. Just know that whatever it reads is going to be less than you started, just get on Sunday and don't be disappointed.
  • Bigneugie
    Bigneugie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Use The scale on a weekly basis. I make sure I log everything into my fitness pal that I'm eating throughout the day which makes me mentally keep track of how it's going. I also make sure to log all my exercises throughout the day which helps to motivate me. While this is been hard, getting on the scale is not an anxiety for me anymore because I know what I'm doing is right even if I have a bad week. I hope this helps you and good luck.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Remember weight fluctuates. I have a WeightGURUS scale and weigh daily. No joke, I fluctuate about 8lbs in a month (I am in maintenance/trying to reduce bodyfat% not weight).
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If the scale scares you don't step on it only you know how you feel. If you think you are moving in the right direction and your close are looser all the better. The scale is just a small tool to measure but your mental health is by far more important than a silly number.
  • RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just get on it. That is silly.

What's with all the woo?

It's true.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You don't ever have to get on a scale if you don't want to except I guess at the doctor's office. If that's where you're doing it have them weigh you but tell them you don't want to know the number.

Just like you never have to track a single calorie to lose weight. The reality is that your body is tracking for you. There's really no particular reason why you need to know if it causes you so much distress.

You might want to consider trying to figure out why you're so stressed by a simple piece of data, but that's another topic.
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Havent weighed in yet.:) Im too nervous. I used another app for about 4 weeks before this and have no idea how much I am down.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I restarted my diet 3 months ago and I havent gotten on the scale once. Mentally, somehow not weighing myself has always kept me on track more than weighing myself. I have a 1000 calorie deficit daily and run 6 days a week. But I have to get on the scale on Sunday! However the mere thought causes full blown anxiety attacks. Does anyone else have this issue? Or maybe I'm just crazy...

Why do you have to?
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I got over my scale anxiety by weighing every day. It makes me feel in control and I don't freak out with fluctuations. I track everything in the Libra app. For me, it took the anxiety out of the scenario. The app is calculating my losses or gains. I just have to enter the data, and adjust as needed. It might be too much to start with for you, but take that first step. Hop on the scale and set a goal of how often you want to weigh in. It might be hard at first, but make yourself do it. Find a reward that works!
    But also remember, the number on the scale is only one factor and is certainly not everything!!
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Oddly enough, I got over my scale anxiety by weighing every day. It makes me feel in control and I don't freak out with fluctuations. I track everything in the Libra app. For me, it took the anxiety out of the scenario. The app is calculating my losses or gains. I just have to enter the data, and adjust as needed. It might be too much to start with for you, but take that first step. Hop on the scale and set a goal of how often you want to weigh in. It might be hard at first, but make yourself do it. Find a reward that works!
    But also remember, the number on the scale is only one factor and is certainly not everything!!

True for me too. When I weighed once a week, I got all anxious about whether I lost weight or not. Weighing every day, it's just a number, a data point on a graph. I use HappyScale, but both it and Libra do the job nicely.

If you stay here long enough, you'll come to understand that weight loss isn't necessarily predictable, and definitely doesn't go in a straight line. At some point your weight is going to jog up temporarily or hit a stall -- for no reason other than "it just happens that way". It happens to all of us. If you let that panic or derail you, you're not going to have the success you're working for.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I understand the anxiety about weighing. I waited 6 weeks before I weighed when I started tracking calories with MFP. My starting weight was from a doctor’s appointment a month earlier.

Now that I’m 3.5 lbs from my goal weight the slow lose or small gains during the week don’t bother me anymore. I know I’m headed in the right direction. Also as others have said I gained 50 lbs from not weighing.

OP, I think like anything else that causes anxiety, the more you do it the easier it gets. Start with once a week, the same day every week, in the morning before you eat or drink anything and see how it goes. You will get used to it and it won’t scare you so much.
  • Simplyjesslauren
    Simplyjesslauren Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who offered encouragement, I really appreciate it! To those who chose otherwise, I have anxiety in general, its not just weighing myself. I'm entering the military so I have a weight requirement to meet. Not meeting that, is an automatic DQ. Telling me "thats silly and just get on the scale" is rude. You don't know me. I kept that promise to myself and got on the scale this morning and I'm down 27.2 lbs. 13 lbs away from goal!!!!