A Trying UK Pensioner

Options
Now in mid-60s and after years of successfully growing a flabby midriff, I decided to make a real effort to lose weight and get fitter. Been in my local gym for 3 weeks now and have managed my eating much better this past week, but it's hard. Is it harder for us "oldies"?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Anything you don't want to do, is hard. People who want to lose weight, eat a little less, and maybe move a little more.
  • BillyJohn1951
    BillyJohn1951 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you Kommodevaran. Yes, it's been a case of slowly breaking old bad habits. I am not overdoing the gym, but my biggest problem has been resisting poor food choices. My wife is now helping and last week has been very good, removing some of the worst temptations from our shopping lists. Fingers crossed I can keep it up as willpower is not my strong point.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It will be easier to muster willpower if you don't feel you have to resist temptation all the time. Setting reasonable boundaries is a really good strategy, and good shopping habits is your first line of defence. You've got this :)
  • nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It is harder as we get older but you can do it! You seem determined!
  • BillyJohn1951
    Options
    Thanks again Kommodevaran. Agree with you that willpower is stronger if you are not constantly using it to resist temptations. Removing temptation is key to keeping willpower strong. Apparently it is best thought of as behaving like a muscle. If you use it a lot, it gets tired. So, my fridge now has lots of space where the cheese in particular used to say "eat me". I think I must have been a mouse in a previous incarnation lol.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Choose smaller portions. You can still have the "temptations" once in a while as long as they do not knock you off your plan for the day.
  • BillyJohn1951
    Options
    nchrty wrote: »
    It is harder as we get older but you can do it! You seem determined!

Thanks nchrty. I am getting there. Am trying to make better habits stick. So far, so good. Doing exercise ( gentle) at my local gym 4 days a week for last 3 weeks is now embedded. Next is a good small habit to introduce for eating.
  • BillyJohn1951
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Choose smaller portions. You can still have the "temptations" once in a while as long as they do not knock you off your plan for the day.

Thanks RodaRose. I have cut down portions for last week for meals and surprised myself by sometimes not finishing what is on my plate. However, if cheese is in my fridge when I open the door, I eat it. So, it has to be out of sight and out of mind. I might treat myself to a small, individual portion when I reach a target weight. My willpower is not good enough!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It is difficult for us young people, too. I tried to lose/maintain for a year and a half, but with an office job, I wasn't able to restrict my calories enough. So I went back to an active job, and it's a life changer. I can do it now, but I still have to work my butt off, and fighting cravings is very hard. The other day I wanted kit Kats, but instead of buying a bag like I would usually do, I bought one single kit Kat from the checkout counter, so I wouldn't be able to binge. My profile pic is a bit misleading, that is where I once was, and where I am headed now.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's not harder just because you are older.
    There's factors that work in our favour too. I've got far more "me time" in my 50's which gives me options I simply never had when children and career building took priority.

Each phase in life comes with different challenges and opportunities. I retired last year which revealed that I used being at work as an effective way to avoid food temptations that are always around at home, but it also gave me the chance to increase my general activity and exercise.
  • BillyJohn1951
    Options
    It is difficult for us young people, too. I tried to lose/maintain for a year and a half, but with an office job, I wasn't able to restrict my calories enough. So I went back to an active job.

I had office jobs too, for the last 10 years of working before retirement, but stopping work meant the fridge was always within easy reach and a combination of slothful living and overeating piled pounds on. Two grandsons arriving on the scene in the past few months reminded me that I want to be around for a lot longer to annoy my kids lol. It's payback time! Only joking! So exercising more and eating less is on the menu
  • BillyJohn1951
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Each phase in life comes with different challenges and opportunities. I retired last year which revealed that I used being at work as an effective way to avoid food temptations that are always around at home.

• BillyJohn1951
    Options
    The only problem for me, sijomial, is that if temptation is always around I always succumb. The most effective way to deal with temptation is to remove it. So, cakes, biscuits, desserts and cheese are now absent from the house and it is so much easier to keep within my suggested calorie limit. :)