Is this breakfast good for weight loss

Options
Ducks47
Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
Is this breakfast healthy? For background, I previously lost 75 pounds. Mostly by limiting carbs and sugar but have regained 10 pounds recently. I don't want to limit myself but want to address the weight gain as I had managed to keep it off for 3 years before. I am trying to lose it and some. I am in my 20s, female, 190 lbs. I am going to get into the 160s.

Plain microwaveable oatmeal (30g-130ish cal)
Blueberries and cherries (60ish cal)
Whole milk (75 cal)
Cinnamon and vanilla
Cocoa or the yummier 85% chocolate (60 cal)
Natural peanut butter (100 cal)
430ish total calories

Replies

• Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    @deannalfisher any advice on how to add protein? There's a tablespoon peanut butter in there.

@LivingtheLeanDream they gave me 1200 but I often do 1300-1350. Oatmeal like that or eggs with tomatoes onions and spices for breakfast in corn tortilla. Beans might be perogie or beans or salad or soup. Dinner I usually make a stir fry or something quick like homemade no sugar cornbread with veg and chicken thigh. I don't re eat my exercise calories.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Ducks47 wrote: »
    @deannalfisher any advice on how to add protein? There's a tablespoon peanut butter in there.

@LivingtheLeanDream they gave me 1200 but I often do 1300-1350. Oatmeal like that or eggs with tomatoes onions and spices for breakfast in corn tortilla. Beans might be perogie or beans or salad or soup. Dinner I usually make a stir fry or something quick like homemade no sugar cornbread with veg and chicken thigh. I don't re eat my exercise calories.

peanut butter unfortunately doesn't have a lot of protein - its more on the fats side, than the protein side; i tend to keep pre-cooked chicken in the fridge to grab and go in the mornings, but i know others don't like that...i think you just need to look at what foods you like and how much protein is in them
  • holytricoli
    holytricoli Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Your breakfast sounds delicious but I agree that there is not a lot of protein, as 1 TBSP of peanut butter only has about 4g. I like to add protein powder to my morning coffee, which is 24g of protein and about 120 calories, depending on the brand.

You also might be able to cut some of the extra stuff out by getting oatmeal that is already flavored. Not suggesting the high sugar options but I buy Quaker brown sugar oatmeal (the low sugar one) which only has 5g of sugar. That along with the berries and some protein powder (or another source like HB eggs) sounds like a perfect breakfast to me.

Disclaimer is that everyone is different and has different tastes. Hope this is helpful for you!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Switch to a teaspoon peanut butter and add an egg.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I always tell people the "diet" has to be one you can stick to but calories are always king. For me, that's a high calorie breakfast if I'm eating 3 meals. If you're doing IF and only eating 2 meals that may be fine for you. Lots of variables
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have porridge with peanut butter and chocolate drops... it's delicious but I need around 600 cals worth to keep me full for any length of time so I don't have it often.

I have protein enriched cereal most days which keeps me full for half the cals.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I used to put peanut butter in my oatmeal too, but then switched to peanut powder. https://www.jif.com/products/peanut-powder/regular-peanut-powder Three tablespoons has only 70 calories, but packs 8 grams of protein. It's basically peanut butter with most of the fat taken out so it may be less satiating than the real thing but it tastes great when mixed into oatmeal or a smoothie.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ducks47 wrote: »
    Is this breakfast healthy? For background, I previously lost 75 pounds. Mostly by limiting carbs and sugar but have regained 10 pounds recently. I don't want to limit myself but want to address the weight gain as I had managed to keep it off for 3 years before. I am trying to lose it and some. I am in my 20s, female, 190 lbs. I am going to get into the 160s.

Plain microwaveable oatmeal (30g-130ish cal)
    Blueberries and cherries (60ish cal)
    Whole milk (75 cal)
    Cinnamon and vanilla
    Cocoa or the yummier 85% chocolate (60 cal)
    Natural peanut butter (100 cal)
    430ish total calories

Healthy??? Healthy in what way? I see you have foods with micronutrients & fiber....so I guess it can be healthy. Unless your on keto or diabetic, I don't understand your fear for carbs, in the end, you need to eat less calories than you burn regardless how high your carbs are. If you are lifting weights at the gym, of course the protein content is a little low unless the rest of your diet is rich in protein.

One thing I do suggest is you find good information on nutrition and weight loss, as I've said before, if you think carbs and sugar make you fat (unless you're on keto or diabetic), then you were given really bad information.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It’s all about the calories I think. I’ve had everything from McDonald’s to breakfast burritos and energy drinks to 3 eggs and steak as long as it worked calorie wise. And it doesn’t seem to affect my weight loss
    Your breakfast sounds quite healthy. The only thing it might be lower on is protein.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious. In my opinion what’s good for weight loss is something that you can stick with!! If you can enjoy it and keeps you full it’s perfect.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Logging your food is good for weight loss. You can eat what you like for breakfast.

^^^^^^^^^ this! If you are within your calorie allowance for needed deficit for fat loss, you can eat whatever you like for brekkie...why ask a bunch of strangers if what you are eating is okay, I am not getting it...just eat...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories not type of food. The more accurate you are about having a calorie deficit then the more consistant your results will be. I advise not guessing on food amounts. A food scale is really handy and easy to use.

A healthy diet is not a specific list of food but everything you consume working together to meet your body's needs. You need to look at nutrients of foods you eat and how they fit your whole day. There are a lot of ways to "eat healthy".
    Generally protein, fats and fiber help people to feel satisfied.
    At the end of the day if you are sticking to your calorie deficit, getting enough protein, etc and feel satisfied then what you are eating is fine.