Cleaning As An Exercise.

Options

Replies

• futurekilousky
    Options
    Would i count it ? Nope.
    Do i care if some one else does ? Nope.
    It amazes me how many people on here are so bothered , annoyed , irked, or any other such thing by the littlest things that other people do, or dont do..

Agreed
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    And here I was thinking they were being "G" rated about some hanky panky.

OMG! I totally do that! It seems less obvious than "aerobics"... guess the secret's out. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Have you met my kids and SEEN my house?! smiley-shocked003.gif Now, someone call the glue factory.
  • KnottyRae
    Options

:D I <3 your face buddy.
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    wait, you're telling me that's NOT how you log sex as an Exercise?
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I don't log:

12.5 Hour shifts as a nurse
    Cleaning
    Walks to and from the bus stop
    Cleaning out the bunnies and Guinea Pigs

That's part of normal life is it not and that is part of your normal activity level. I do a massive clean once a week and that doesn't get logged.

The only exercise I log is stuff that I don't have to do as part of everyday life such as going for a swim, going to the gym, going for a run (not to get to a destination) etc
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    Have you met my kids and SEEN my house?! smiley-shocked003.gif Now, someone call the glue factory.

I KNOW those kids they live at my house, (somedays it also seems like ALL their friends too) plus the 3 dogs 5 hamsters & 2 hermit crabs
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

:D I <3 your face buddy.

Same to you :blushing:
    wait, you're telling me that's NOT how you log sex as an Exercise?

^Yeah, I'm totally serious. It is why I NEVER count my cleaning...I don't want people to um, know. I thought this was the MFP standard. Am I wrong? *Actually serious, for once*
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit and let me tell you, I don't burn anything worth counting in cleaning my house. (I wish!!!)

Think about it. I'm a sedentary individual - I work 2 desk jobs.

For my gender, weight, and height:

The difference between sedentary (desk job) and lightly active (works out 1-3x a week) works out to a 10 calorie per hour difference.

The difference between sedentary (desk job) and moderately active (works out 3-5x a week) works out to a 20 calorie per hour difference.

So, if I spend 3 hours being moderately active, I've earned an extra 60 calories. According to my Fitbit, the ONLY time I ever hit the "active" zone is when I'm running. Mopping, scrubbing toilets, yardwork, etc. are all moderate activities. Walking to my car or through the grocery store is lightly active, meaning I get an extra 20 calories for a 2 hour shopping trip.

Be realistic in your calculations.
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    Woah, so many pissed off people. Look, however you want to justify it, it's not what I would consider at least 30 minutes of strenuous exercise. If it were, I would probably have dropped the weight by now and have the arm strength of a body builder because I'm a cleaning fool. I don't feel like I got a fantastic work out cleaning...it's just extra to the work load I do in my daily life.

Opinion, fine, I'll wave the white flag and bow to the classification. But be realistic. Who burns 800 calories in an hour of work?

As for yardwork...I didn't say anything about yardwork. Read, people!

Just sayin'.
  • muffindowd
    Options

OMG. I have been caught by a MFP friend of mine...I do this!!
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    Where's that dead horse GIF when you need it...
    Check the eating back you exercise calores, HGC, or TOM threads.

right here

20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Rofl. Myyyyy bad.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

OMG. I have been caught by a MFP friend of mine...I do this!!

I just won life. :laugh:
  • Skinny_foodie
    Options
    I feel this post has been answered and yet I'm still going to add my two cents, you are likely to burn as many calories scrubbing a floor or doing heavy cleaning as you do say walking a mile. I walk a mile here and there in my everyday life but I'm going to count it when I walk a solid mile say here to the post office, why wouldn't I count it if I scrub the floors?

That said, totally scrubbed the floors this weekend and did not count it... to each there own, good luck on your journey!
  • rhodenizer
    rhodenizer Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic, it is everyday life for sure, does it work up a sweat depends, can it be part of your exercise routine, most definitely but you have to make it an exercise. So just don't push the vaccum around the floor. As you are vaccuming, stand tall, put on foot out further than the other and lunge into each pass you make across the floor, change hands and foot postion and do several lunges per side. When washing windows do side stretches as you reach to the top of the window and side bends as you work towards the bottom. Dusting is good for wrist circles. Use each of your cleaning tasks as an exercise and then log those movements into your calorie burnt count. Oh and I imagine arguing about wether it is or isn't an exercise counts too. :):drinker:
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If it were, I would probably have dropped the weight by now and have the arm strength of a body builder because I'm a cleaning fool.

i log it an i've lost near enough 90lbs :)

i think it all just depends on the person an how active a person is, me... i'm a lazy git with my profile set to the lowest activity setting, so that is why i count it, but only if it's been over an hour.

i personally don't care if people do or don't log it, or think it is/isn't exercise, all that matters is what works for you.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I laugh when I see someone who posts that
    I laugh at how much MFP is estimating the calories burned.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My suggestion (for those seeking actual clarification on how to use this option) would be to read this post on active levels. Long, but worth the read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/291071-activity-level-and-logging-exercise
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My suggestion (for those seeking actual clarification on how to use this option) would be to read this post on active levels. Long, but worth the read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/291071-activity-level-and-logging-exercise

You beat me to the punch!! That thread might need a bump...
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree!! I have myself set to sedentary since I work a desk job, so I feel that if I spend four hours cleaning my entire house on a Saturday OR if I just vacuum and tidy up generally for a half hour on a weekday that I can certainly count it. It's not my only exercise by ANY means, and I don't necessarily eat the calories back...but why not count it if you are not sitting on your butt??

Exactly!