Too many carbs :(

Options
I am new to MFP and I am having trouble setting my "goals". I am way overweight so have a lot of weight to lose. In addition to being overweight I am also type one diabetic, insulin dependent. When I tried setting up a minimum of carbs to eat the MFP said I wasn't eating enough. How is it that I can eat enough and still hope to lose weight?

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Did you set a percentage for the carb goals or in grams? If it was in grams and you didn't increase the grams of fat and protein accordingly then that is why.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Your question isn't clear, but I think your answers are in the previous replies:

You have to set your carbs to at least 5%, mfp won't let you choose zero, and if you reduce carbs you have to increase one or both oft he other two macros or mfp won't let you save your changes. Carb% + Protein% + Fat% has to equal 100.

If you want to reduce carbs, that's fine, but calories are what determine if you gain or lose weight. You want to eat enough so that your body is properly fueled, but less than your body burns. So you want to hit the calorie goal mfp gave you.

If we're not answering the question, please come back and clarify! And good luck :drinker:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Increase the percentage of fat and protein until you hit your daily minimum calorie requirement.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Agreeing with Rhedd, with the caveat of "your diabetes may vary". I'm fairly insulin sensitive (about half a unit per kilo, which is what you expect to see in kids), but part of that is that I largely try to stay under 150 or 175 carbs, with the exception of race days and special events.

OP, if your doc said to try 100, see how that goes. You may find that as you lose weight, your sensitivity improves and you can work more carbs in as you choose. But keep tracking regardless. I was terrified of carbs when I went on the pump, and gained 10 pounds because I was snacking on cheese and pepperoni without tracking it.
  • Grammabear2
    Grammabear2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Y'all, the usual comments about not needing to limit carbs to lose weight don't have any relevance here. A type 1 diabetic has to inject insulin to digest ANY amount of carbs, and more injected insulin makes it harder to regulate blood glucose and lose weight. What is true for people with functioning pancreases doesn't work for people who don't have one.

@Grammabear2 How have you been tracking your carbs to determine your insulin dosage in the past? How many carbs on average have you been eating up until now?

I'm type 2, so my needs are a little different from yours, but I've had good luck reducing my A1c and getting off meds using MFP to track, so you are definitely in the right place. You should have no problem setting your macros to eat less than 100g carbs per day. Can you describe what you were doing when you got the message that you needed to eat more?

One thing I would suggest is to add a column for fiber to your settings, so that you can easily subtract fiber and get net carbs instead of gross carbs, since net is what you need to know for your dosing. Also remember you have to cover protein with insulin, even though the amount needed is less. Test a lot while you are making changes!

For someone insulin dependent like you, one of the keto diet subforums might be helpful. Focus on green vegetables and proteins - it's usually pretty easy to get enough fat in an American diet. Avoid starchy vegetables, sweets, and grains. Limit fruits.

rheddmobile - I used to write down the amount of carbs I ate daily and my average carb intake is about 125. When I was diagnosed in 2003 the dietititian told me 45-60 carbs at each meal plus two additional snacks of 30 carbs between meals. I foolishly followed that advice until I realized I had gained 75 pounds. I now have a pump and a cgm so I can track my blood glucose better. I need and want to lose weight but I just don't know how to manage the carb intake plus keep my blood sugars on track. My A1C isn't too bad at 6.5 but it could be better. I am not young at 72 but I still desire to be healthier if possible. I also have trouble with going 'low' after I have ridden my stationary bike.

When I get the message that I haven't eaten enough calories for the day is at the end of the day when you click on the button that summarizes your day's intake.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes you need to manage your low by eating something right after your workout. The most efficient source is a glucotab. Yes it will put you over in carbs on that day. But it is more important to get out of that low. If you want to avoid this, have a combined protein and fat snack a couple hours before your workout like some beef jerky.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Standard MFP setting are annoying especially if you have special/medical dietary needs.

I had to upgrade to premium MFP to be able to set the carbohydrates and protein to fix amounts and to be able to look at macros at a glance rather than go dig for it or do calculations.

I think it's well worth the upgrade.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and I am having trouble setting my "goals". I am way overweight so have a lot of weight to lose. In addition to being overweight I am also type one diabetic, insulin dependent. When I tried setting up a minimum of carbs to eat the MFP said I wasn't eating enough. How is it that I can eat enough and still hope to lose weight?

I do hope you consult your doctor before you start a new diet. Such changes could throw your meds off.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Y'all, the usual comments about not needing to limit carbs to lose weight don't have any relevance here. A type 1 diabetic has to inject insulin to digest ANY amount of carbs, and more injected insulin makes it harder to regulate blood glucose and lose weight. What is true for people with functioning pancreases doesn't work for people who don't have one.

@Grammabear2 How have you been tracking your carbs to determine your insulin dosage in the past? How many carbs on average have you been eating up until now?

I'm type 2, so my needs are a little different from yours, but I've had good luck reducing my A1c and getting off meds using MFP to track, so you are definitely in the right place. You should have no problem setting your macros to eat less than 100g carbs per day. Can you describe what you were doing when you got the message that you needed to eat more?

One thing I would suggest is to add a column for fiber to your settings, so that you can easily subtract fiber and get net carbs instead of gross carbs, since net is what you need to know for your dosing. Also remember you have to cover protein with insulin, even though the amount needed is less. Test a lot while you are making changes!

For someone insulin dependent like you, one of the keto diet subforums might be helpful. Focus on green vegetables and proteins - it's usually pretty easy to get enough fat in an American diet. Avoid starchy vegetables, sweets, and grains. Limit fruits.

rheddmobile - I used to write down the amount of carbs I ate daily and my average carb intake is about 125. When I was diagnosed in 2003 the dietititian told me 45-60 carbs at each meal plus two additional snacks of 30 carbs between meals. I foolishly followed that advice until I realized I had gained 75 pounds. I now have a pump and a cgm so I can track my blood glucose better. I need and want to lose weight but I just don't know how to manage the carb intake plus keep my blood sugars on track. My A1C isn't too bad at 6.5 but it could be better. I am not young at 72 but I still desire to be healthier if possible. I also have trouble with going 'low' after I have ridden my stationary bike.

When I get the message that I haven't eaten enough calories for the day is at the end of the day when you click on the button that summarizes your day's intake.

Okay, well, you do need to be eating the full allowance of calories MFP gives you for the weight loss rate you choose. If you are getting that message, you have logged fewer than 1000 calories. Log everything you eat, and if you are still under 1000, eat more protein and fat. It's not healthy for an adult, even an overweight adult, to eat less than 1200 calories a day for any length of time. Plus, getting enough protein will protect you from losing lean muscle as you lose weight.

Some carb-free options include any kind of meat, tuna, eggs. Dairy has carbs but also has protein, and so do beans and nuts. When I'm low on protein and need a low calorie increase at the end of a day I usually eat some tuna on a lettuce wrap. But if you are that low on calories, add some fats to your diet too.

I think most dieticians give similar advice to newly diagnosed diabetics - for me the advice I got also turned out to be way too many carbs, I can only handle about 30 per meal and 15 per snack. But everyone is different!

Stationary bike can definitely cause lows - in fact I use it when I'm high after meals to quickly drop my levels. I can drop it from 160 something into the 70s in 15 minutes of intense peddling. What works best to keep my levels steady is eating something quick acting like an orange before (before a workout is one time you may be able to get away with eating higher levels of quick acting carbs) and then something with both carbs and protein, such as a glass of milk, or Greek yogurt with berries, afterwards. Your situation with the insulin is different from mine, but definitely eat a little after.

I also carry smarties candy to the gym in case of lows - if you have problems getting really low, consider carrying an injectable and instructing people around you in how to use it in case you ever faint.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He is a T1D and doctor who invented self testing and reducing insulin needs, and BG fluctuations, through a low carb diet. Among his patients, weight control becomes a bit easier when BG is stable.

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the confusion on my question. The amount of insulin I use is determined by the amount of carbs I eat. If I eat less carbs, then I can use less insulin hence maybe lose weight. My doctor suggested I keep my carbs at around 100 or below. I am not tech savvy and I am definitely not good at setting goals on MFP. :(
    Do as your doctor suggests, then sort out the protein and fat to suit your calorie allowance.

• Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    With MFP 'free' you can't go any lower than 5% of any macro...however.

You could pay for premium or use an external 'plug in' like FOODFASTFIT for Google Chrome, which allows you to set macros to anything you like.

In Google Chrome to to More tools (top right) Extensions, in the search bar that appears type FOODFASTFIT

Once the extension is downloaded.

Log on to MyFitnessPal.com

Go to My Home --> Goals.

Under Daily Nutrition Goals, there is "FOODFASTFIT" and "Set your goals".

Click 'set your goals'.

Scroll down the page, find where to enter in your macros in grams, enter Protein, carbs and fats in grams.

click "Add to MyFitnessPal".

You will be redirected to MyFitnessPal to again set your "goals".

This is the most important, part set the protein and fats amount to 0% and the carbs to 100% then check your phone and it should have changed to the macro grams you input.