Good workouts when injured?

Options
Any good low impack workouts for when you are healing?
Hurt hand, wrist, and knee. Already had bad knees and hips.
I'm not sure what to do. I would like to do yoga, but it is too hard on my wrist with downward dog and moves like that. I can probably start going for walks again in a few days.
No gym membership or access to a pool. Poor broke girl here. So youtube would be good, ha.
I'm sooo close to my weight goal, so I really don't want this to derail me.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would stick to walking until you're healed.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Look up chair cardio, get well soon.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Don't do anything that aggravates your injury.

You seem to be broken all over so maybe take a few weeks off completely.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Are you absolutely sure about the pool? Some Y's will offer assistance.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor what activities are safe considering your injuries. Unfortunately we can't tell you what is or isn't safe for you; we're just a bunch of people on the internet.

However, there's no reason why your recuperation needs to affect your weight loss. Weight loss is nothing more than eating fewer calories than you burn. If you aren't exercising, that just means that you won't have exercise calories to eat back, which does kinda stink. You may have to be extremely accurate with your logging since you'll probably have less room for error. But if you stick to your calorie goal, you're still going to lose weight even without exercise.
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I agree with the chair cardio recommendation. Youtube has lots of videos. When I had a broken foot, I particularly liked the ones I found when searching "chair Zumba."
  • CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Are you absolutely sure about the pool? Some Y's will offer assistance.

Closest Y to me is nearly an hour drive.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    With a bad wrist AND knee that kinda takes out anything using your upper body and lower body. You would need an activity with ZERO impact on either of those joints I'm assuming?

You could do a lot of core work. Pool is a great choice but already crossed off your list from what it seems.
    Depending on your ankle severity maybe biking? Once cleared for walking I would probably start there. You don't need exercise to hit your weight loss goals, just make sure you are eating within your CICO goals and you will still lose the weight. I look at it this way: I watch what I eat for weight loss goals and exercise for health/fitness goals.

Good luck!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Tai Chi would be great for you. I detest yoga but Tai Chi is the benefits of yoga without the stress or water aerobics (but no pool required). You sit in a bit of a mini squat more than you think, so it doesn't burn a lot of calories, but more than sitting! Plus, it's supposed to be healthy for your joints. I haven't known many that can't do Tai Chi because of their joints being bad. The motions are actually healthy for your joints.

Paul Lam has some really great beginner tapes that are cheap. You might find them used. YouTube if you can as well migth have workouts for you for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIOHGrYCEJ4
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Don't do anything that aggravates your injury.

You seem to be broken all over so maybe take a few weeks off completely.

This

And focus in 110% on your diet.

I once trashed my shoulder and in retrospect, it worked out okay.

It forced me to concentrate more on my diet rather than the gym. It helped in the long run.

Best of luck