Easter dessert? Make ahead if possible

Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Any nice recipe for Easter that you can make ahead? Maybe other than cheesecake or pie (might try a lemon cheesecake though).

I suppose I could make it on Easter but it's difficult with the ham in the oven.

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,447 Member
    Chocolate bunny
  • Francl27

I don't like using mixes, lol. I suppose I could make everything from scratch (did it once, it was amazing), but it's too time consuming and hard to do ahead.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Do you get hot cross buns over there? If so this is a fab pudding :smile:

https://recipes.sainsburys.co.uk/recipes/desserts/hot-cross-bun-and-butter-pudding
  • Francl27

https://recipes.sainsburys.co.uk/recipes/desserts/hot-cross-bun-and-butter-pudding

Hmm bread pudding might work. My guests don't like raisins (I can do without too) and I believe hot cross buns have them.

The main issue is waiting for the bread to go stale lol.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Seriously, what is wrong with mixes? You make this the day before from scratch, if you want.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    I don't use mixes when I bake either. It's just a personal preference.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,854 Member
    What about greek yogurt bark. Freeze the day before and you can customize your toppings
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Hmm bread pudding might work. My guests don't like raisins (I can do without too) and I believe hot cross buns have them.

The main issue is waiting for the bread to go stale lol.

Chocolate hot cross buns are popular here (along with a multitude of other flavours, most without raisins/sultanas)

I'd go anything chocolate
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2018
    I usually make a berry fruit tart with a shortbread crust for Easter. Sometimes I do carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I was thinking of making a sugar cookie cake this year, for something a little different.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    A couple of things that have seemed popular in the past were lemon meringue pie or a coconut cake or pie.
    Strawberry shortcake also.
  • WestCoastJanice
    WestCoastJanice Posts: 16 Member
    Pavlova with lemon curd and berries - assemble just before eating.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I had a peach and blueberry crumble before that was delicious. Base was just oats, pecans, maple syrup, brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Mix that up with melted butter. Then put in a glass pan with blueberries and peaches and bake. Serve it warm with vanilla ice-cream.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited March 2018
    Like @JaniceWilliams221 suggested, I think I’ll make a pavlova, which would work for you, too. I’m not going to bother with the curd and will just use fresh fruit and whipped cream. Maybe a quick chocolate drizzle if I’m feeling fancy.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    What about baking banana bread or pumpkin bread? You could bake it the day before if you're short on time.
  • 100_PROOF_
    Angel food cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.

I was actually considering this too
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    This just popped up in my feed...thought of you and your quest for the easy Easter dessert
    https://iowagirleats.com/2016/06/15/gluten-free-no-bake-strawberry-shortcake-icebox-cake/
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    These all sound SOOOO good!
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I had a peach and blueberry crumble before that was delicious. Base was just oats, pecans, maple syrup, brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Mix that up with melted butter. Then put in a glass pan with blueberries and peaches and bake. Serve it warm with vanilla ice-cream.

that sounds yummy
  • MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    I made a matcha (green tea) cheesecake earlier today, and it looks so green and fresh and Springy that I'm probably going to make one to bring to the family Easter party. They freeze very well, so they're perfect to make ahead.
  • 100_PROOF_
    Someone at work today was talking about making a cake shaped like a rabbit and using coconut on top of the icing to make it look like rabbit fur. I'll see if I can find the recipe she was talking about. It sounded like a cute cake to make for kids.
  • Francl27
    This just popped up in my feed...thought of you and your quest for the easy Easter dessert
    https://iowagirleats.com/2016/06/15/gluten-free-no-bake-strawberry-shortcake-icebox-cake/

I love icebox cakes! I might give something like that a shot.
  • Francl27
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Someone at work today was talking about making a cake shaped like a rabbit and using coconut on top of the icing to make it look like rabbit fur. I'll see if I can find the recipe she was talking about. It sounded like a cute cake to make for kids.

Like this? lol

IMG_1270.jpg
  • 100_PROOF_

Like this? lol

IMG_1270.jpg

Yes! I think it's so cute!
  • L1zardQueen

Like this? lol

IMG_1270.jpg

Is he going down a rabbit hole?
  • 100_PROOF_

Like this? lol

IMG_1270.jpg

I think so!
  • L1zardQueen

Like this? lol

IMG_1270.jpg

I think so!

It was hard to tell, (I’m on my mobile) it is super cute. I love animated rabbit faces better, although the above cake would be easier to make. And who doesn’t love shredded coconut. <3
  • mlheideman
    mlheideman Posts: 42 Member
    Bananna Pudding
  • Sojo15
    Sojo15 Posts: 87 Member
    vanilla chia pudding with coconut milk and cardamom. Use fresh vanilla bean. It's like custard!