Do you check weight everyday?

Options
How often do you get on the scale? Should I be checking daily, weekly, or monthly?

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day.

If you are new you check the scale monthly you risk eating the wrong amount for a whole month before you get feedback from the scale. If you are experienced and know exactly your maintanance calories, and know that you measure and log you food correctly (from past data and experience, not because you think you do) then you can weigh as often as you like. Might even go once a month.
  • LaGata8484
    LaGata8484 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but record once a week, on Monday. The ups and downs don't bother me; I know why they're happening, and I'm seeing steady progress, so I'm motivated.
  • RainaL1987
    RainaL1987 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just nervous that when I check I won't be down as much as I think I should be. After reading a lot of post on the this site I think I thought I could loose faster then I will.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    RainaL1987 wrote: »
    I think I'm just nervous that when I check I won't be down as much as I think I should be. After reading a lot of post on the this site I think I thought I could loose faster then I will.

Well it also depends on how much you need to lose. Plus everyone is different and those needing to lose more will lose faster, then slow as they get closer to goal weight.

In your pic you dont look like you have alot to lose so your progress might be slower. Also I have seen my weight fluctuate 5lbs in one day depending my water intake.
  • Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes everyday when cutting, weight fluctuates with water, most people find that they weigh heavier at some point during the week, this can be down to water retention or even bowel movement (or not) :o
    I usually see 1-1.5 lbs fluctuation throughout the week.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I was doing it every day but it didn’t help me at all, I still overate or not regardless of my weight and obviously the day after with 2 lbs above I felt even worse so I rather concentrate in having a few days on track and then check, anyways what matters to me is my weight from week to week ;)
    Now I feel more at peace!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

If you weigh daily, you need to do some research into natural weight fluctuations...not only will you not be down as much as you think, but you're going to have days where your weight goes up as well...you don't lose exactly X ounces everyday...doesn't work like that.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you weigh daily, you need to do some research into natural weight fluctuations...not only will you not be down as much as you think, but you're going to have days where your weight goes up as well...you don't lose exactly X ounces everyday...doesn't work like that.

You do lose exactly X ounces of fat (and maybe muscle) everyday (provided you made the deficit for exactly X ounces fat). But your weight includes water weight too. So the scales won't show this exact tissue loss.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly. I can’t handle seeing the daily fluctuations, so I definitely won’t do daily.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    My weight bounces around, so I don't like a weekly weigh-in ... I weigh in every day and keep look at the weekly average, which is what I consider to be my weight as of that point in time.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Angierae75 wrote: »
    I check daily, only record drops, and don’t worry about fluctuations.

That was exactly what I did on the way down. I knew I was in deficit every day and the trend was down, so I just tracked the lowest. Now I am under goal and my goal was to keep my BMI below 25. So now I just worry about the highest reading.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,639 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Every other day. It bounces up and down. If you only check it once a week, you might think there is no progress when you are comparing a "down bounce" one week to an "up bounce" the next. The more data, the better. At the other end of the spectrum, weighing once a month or so, the difference will probably be more than the bounces and they won't be as big of a deal.

Not necessarily. The right "wrong" bounce can manage to miss even a 5lb change.

Daily and app that shows the trend over time.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Nope not daily just once a week.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've lost a total of 93 lbs. I've worked too hard to get where I am to start slipping backwards, so I like to keep track of my weight daily. By weighing daily I am much more likely to see the effects of my poor decisions sooner, rather than later, and adjust my eating as needed so that it doesn't hinder my progress in the long run.