What have I done...again???

Options
For the past 4 weeks, I’ve been trying to go keto. Week was a mess because I didn’t do enough research. Week two was better but by Friday I was in binge mode. Week three was horrific (I lasted one day). Then week four came around and I decided to go low carb - essentially keto but I have carrots and strawberries cause I’m a sugar fein.

Well, it’s Saturday of week four and I broke. I had a super sugary coffee with my friend then went to Walgreens and bought a bunch of Easter candy.

I know I have a chronic overeating problem - in every diet/lifestyle change I would look for ways to eat as much as possible of something. Currently it’s cucumbers and cream cheese on my low carb diet.

I’m feeling so good in how I look. At my heaviest I was over 300 lbs and now I’m hovering at 185 and I feel good. But I still want to lose 40 lbs more which I know will be the hardest to lose because my body doesn’t feel the need to lose anymore weight.

Anyway, I’m just looking for advice from people who struggle with overeating. What helps you? I appreciate any advice on this!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    With so little to lose, why Keto?
  • kiwisandcoconuts
    kiwisandcoconuts Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am also curious, why keto?

Overeater here - I was recommended to go keto in order to help naturally regulate my cycle in order for me to successfully conceive. I did great for 3 weeks... and then I started feeling awful and binged on everything and anything I could get my hands on. I have come to realize the healthiest way for me to not over eat is to simply plan out all meals, snacks and drinks ahead of time.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    livvee22 wrote: »
    I know I have a chronic overeating problem - in every diet/lifestyle change I would look for ways to eat as much as possible of something. Currently it’s cucumbers and cream cheese on my low carb diet.

I'm not sure if you are saying that you have a genuine problem with lack of control, or whether you are simply saying that you have a preference for eating a lot of food. You can lose weight as long as you stick to your calorie deficit - from there, the details of how you maintain that deficit are up to your personal preference. If you like eating lots of food, then choose to eat foods that have high volume for low calories. You might enjoy this thread on "Volume eating": http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It sounds like maybe keto isn't working for you anymore? Maybe try just staying within your calories for a few weeks and see how it goes. Counting calories is more flexible I think, because you can eat what you like as long as you stay within your calories. No deprivation.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with overeating, but I don't anymore. Maybe I can help? I needed a total reframing. I stopped looking for ways to be able to eat as much as possible, and instead started looking for ways to eat as well as possible. This means making priorities. It means saying no to something in order to be able to say yes to something else. It means that I have to wait. I am slowly teaching myself to wait. It means creating predictability and building trust and confidence. It means taking charge and feeling in charge. It means being responsible and accountable, it means self-care, which is being the right kind of kind and firm, at the right times. It means accepting that I will make mistakes, and finding ways to fix those mistakes, instead of making bigger mistakes because I'm mad at myself.

How I do this, in practice:
    I plan my meals, plan balanced and varied meals I want to eat, and eat what I have planned, in regular, flexibly scheduled intervals.
    I grocery shop according to plan.
    I cook/prepare delicious, balanced and varied meals that I enjoy cooking as well as eating.
    I plan a treat each Saturday, and have it, on Saturday.
    When something happens so I can't do exactly as planned, I adjust the plan to accomodate for whatever happened, so I can still eat well.
    I usually just ride my urges, but sometimes I act on them.
    I don't expect to stay full all the time. I appreciate being hungry before meals.

But I never had thoughts like "my body doesn’t feel the need to lose anymore weight". I wanted to lose weight, so I accepted I had to eat less, and ate less. Do you really want to lose weight?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough protein - organic meat will make you feel satisfied for longer, and that might help you keep the cravings at bay. It's better to overindulge on nutritional food (green vegetables!) than sugar and carbs.

What's so magical about organic meat?
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough protein - organic meat will make you feel satisfied for longer, and that might help you keep the cravings at bay. It's better to overindulge on nutritional food (green vegetables!) than sugar and carbs.

Huh?

Can you explain your theories behind why organic meat would satisfy someone for longer?
    You also say to overindulge in nutrient dense foods like veggies rather than carbs. Are you aware of what macro makes up most veggies?
    It sounds like your theories might not be based on fact and are more of an opinion.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Exactly what diet gives the most satisfaction and satiety, is subjective and individual. And you can eat the most perfectly composed diet, and still have cravings, those are a mind thing. "Organic"="expensive". If the OP has an overeating problem, is really tips to continue overeating, the best advice? And finally, the energy in vegetables comes mainly from carbs, and sugar is simple carbs.

No wonder many people struggle with weight, health, eating, anxiety.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Re:overeating question
    Weighing food on a food scale and logging every bite eaten helps a lot of people with overeating because it provides built in parameters and accountability. Have you tried doing this?
    Setting a smaller loss rate like 0,5 to 1.0 lb per week rather than 2 or more also helps with overeating because you are able to eat more and thus less likely to binge. Is your loss rate too aggressive?
  • kaitlynncolbourne
    kaitlynncolbourne Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Meal planning really helps ! And its kinda fun too :)