Difficulty counting calories

Options
Does anyone else find it difficult to count Calories on dishes you make? There has to be an easier way! Please share!!

Replies

• melissastrine11510
    melissastrine11510 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Is it on the app? Never seen or used it?
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I count the ingredients then divide by the number of servings.

So if I'm making a stew that serves 4 I'll count all the ingredients I use to make it, then divide that amount by 4 for each time I have it as a meal.

Alternatively I'll make a batch of something, again counting the calories in each of the ingredients then weigh the whole lot. Then I'll know how many calories are in 1g, 100g, etc and can log according to the weight of serving when I eat it.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    go to your food then click on the "my foods" or the "my meals" to add them and then just stick to the recipe you added.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    ... Basically, just keep an eye on the nutritional data of what you bought and are using versus the entries in the database. Many are good, but many are also not quite right (especially many user-made ones).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    In the app to make a recipe
    Go to your diary. Add food. Go to the recipe tab. At the bottom it will say create recipe. Go to that and enter your ingredients and save as a recipe. Then you can log it.

I have used the MFP database and there are some bad entries but not enough to make me not use it at all. Just look at the entries you use to see if they make sense. You can double check with the usda food database or elsewhere if you are unsure.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10621050/how-to-use-the-usda-food-database-mfp-food-database-for-accurate-logging#latest
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is it on the app? Never seen or used it?

go into 'recipes, meals & foods' in the app