Sugar, hoping my post will be encouraging

Options
I was brought up on sugar. Not fizzy drinks and sweets, but my Mum made us sugar sandwiches when there was nothing else in the house, we always had puddings in the evening, and at least a dessert spoon of sugar on our cereal in the morning. My Dad even puts sugar in his peas when he cooks them.

These days I no longer have sugar sandwiches or sugar on my cereal but I do still have a sweet tooth. I was staying under my calorie goal for the day, but still had one sweetener in my tea and two in coffee, I was having at least two diet fizzy drinks and a chocolate bar every day when at work as well as cake at lunch on my days off, and puddings at dinner time. So to stay under my calorie goal meant forfeiting the good stuff to keep up with my sweet tooth.

Then as Lent approached I said to my husband I was thinking about cutting out most forms of processed sugar. Sweets, fizzy drinks, cakes, chocolate, biscuits and desserts. I didn’t think I’d make it past the first day, and to be honest neither did he, he was just kind enough not to tell me that he doubted my resolve.

Lent arrived and I cut out all of the above, but the withdrawal symptoms have persuaded me that sugar simply cannot be good for you. I have had mood swings, headaches, fatigue, irritability and at times depression like symptoms. This lasted about 3 1/2 weeks it has been horrendous. I googled sugar withdrawal just to make sure I wasn’t going mad. As a result of the symptoms, for the last week I have ditched sweetener in tea and halved sweetener in coffee as well. I am feeling much better and have lost a lb a week just by cutting out sugar. I have even tried to start cutting down on carbs as well and am taking much more notice of how much sugar is in my food.

I’ve noted my macros are far more balanced and I can eat more savoury food to make up for missing out on the calories, meaning I feel full for longer. Everything tastes different which means water is far more palatable than it was before and I now eat a low sugar breakfast cereal with no more than 7grams of sugar in it. Before my breakfast cereal had 12 grams of sugar. Have supplemented sweets with dried mango and fresh grapes to break up the monotony of long car journeys and trips to the cinema.

If I have learnt anything over Lent it’s how hard it is to find a suitable substitute for sugar snacking. We walked into a petrol station on a long car journey last week and there were shelves and shelves of crisps, chocolate, dips and sweets, but the fruit was hidden in a corner. Today it took me 20 minutes to find where the local supermarket had hidden the dried fruit.

I understand that there is no such thing as a clinical addiction to sugar, but for me the result of trying to avoid artificial sweetener and refined / processed sugar has sent me on a profound personal journey that makes me want to stay away from sugar even after Lent finishes next week. Hopefully I will stick to it in the most part and not start revisiting the local Waffle House once a week.

I have pleasantly surprised both myself and my husband and my experience has persuaded both my husband and my Dad to cut back on their sugar intake too. So hopefully I won’t have to cope with the same mood swings they’ve had to deal with from me.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Which dried fruits?
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I was brought up on sugar. Not fizzy drinks and sweets, but my Mum made us sugar sandwiches when there was nothing else in the house, we always had puddings in the evening, and at least a dessert spoon of sugar on our cereal in the morning. My Dad even puts sugar in his peas when he cooks them.

Wow - I totally forgot about "sugar sandwiches." We didn't name it as such but toast with melted margarine and sugar (sometimes cinnamon, too) was a staple for breakfast and sometime snacks in my household. Six children, tight budget - well, there were lots of pretty unhealthy things we ate. Glad this breakfast tradition has not been passed on to my children and grandchildren.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    We, at least, used brown sugar and cinnamon on our toast. Never had it with white sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    We, at least, used brown sugar and cinnamon on our toast. Never had it with white sugar.

We used white sugar, but with (of course) cinnamon, and lots of butter. Did it in the broiler (on a slice of whole wheat bread, since that's what we had, heh). It was an occasional snack, and did no harm. Wouldn't have substituted for a meal, and probably not even a huge number of calories.

The butter was an essential part of it, as was the cinnamon. Sugar sandwich seems to convey sugar between two pieces of bread, nothing else, which sounds disgusting to me, but cinnamon toast was tasty.