Poor deadlifting hands

Options
Heaviest ever at 30kg..please don't laugh :D

Felt great but hard on the hands, what are straps used for or should I go for gloves?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    There exist gloves that inhibit grip less than most and still provide modest callous protection. For example gymnast straps/wraps.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I would avoid gloves but if you do you can go with the crossfit gloves that are full fingered and have no padding. Straps for heavier weights are fine because your grip is limiting and you aren't competing, but try to just build your grip strength. Going to you max that you can lift with a mixed grip then just hold for as long as you can is a great way to start building it.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I would avoid gloves but if you do you can go with the crossfit gloves that are full fingered and have no padding. Straps for heavier weights are fine because your grip is limiting and you aren't competing, but try to just build your grip strength. Going to you max that you can lift with a mixed grip then just hold for as long as you can is a great way to start building it.

OP, if you're not trying mixed grip, then I suggest that before anything else.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    ^ Liquid chalk and mixed grip always worked for me.

If you have no desire to compete in powerlifting, I don't see any problem with using straps or versa grips though.

I use versa grips for majority of my pull movements now that I don't plan to compete again. They help me avoid fatiguing my grip/forearms before my back. Which, I think might be suggested in the Steve Shaw video above, if I remember correctly. ^ Steve is the person who got me into versa grips.
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Work on your grip. Do pinch plates and bar hangs. Mixed grip is good too. My coach is teaching us to do lifts without gloves, chalk, anything like that during our class workouts. Most folks still use their preference for competitions and such, however, they still recognize the need to improve grip strength over using other things to help with grip.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Heaviest ever at 30kg..please don't laugh :D

Felt great but hard on the hands, what are straps used for or should I go for gloves?

No to straps.

Gloves ok if you want to avoid calluses.

Getting woos on my post doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I've read a few places that gloves don't necessarily help avoid calluses and can even make them worse - that might be where the woos are coming from. I'm curious on that point as well.
  • Nama_Slay38
    Nama_Slay38 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Definitely chalk! I use to use gangsta wrists wraps, when I first started doing pulls..your grip strength will get stronger, the more you utilize that bar...Best of luck!
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The criss cross grip is evil! Am I going to look like a loon using liquid chalk for a measly 30kg for 3 sets :s
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The criss cross grip is evil! Am I going to look like a loon using liquid chalk for a measly 30kg for 3 sets :s

Have you tried it both directions? One side feels much better to me than the other.

What are your deadlifting goals?

You could try gloves. I don't wear them because I can't compete it them. But if you're not going to compete, that part wouldn't matter.

Back when I did try them, though, I found they slipped around between my hand and the bar and made my grip worse.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Have you tried it both directions? One side feels much better to me than the other.

What are your deadlifting goals?

You could try gloves. I don't wear them because I can't compete it them. But if you're not going to compete, that part wouldn't matter.

Back when I did try them, though, I found they slipped around between my hand and the bar and made my grip worse.

For at least 60% of people, gloves only come in 2 sizes... Too big and too small. Neither one improves grip.

IF you find gloves that actually fit correctly, Good on ya.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with the cross grip.

That is another one of those no-nos that is just nonsense.

Many women don't want "man hands" so they use gloves. No problem if you get proper gloves.

Heck, in the winter I sometimes lift in my garage with Home Depot leather work gloves. They work fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Grip-Orange-Suede-Cowhide-Leather-and-Denim-Large-Work-Gloves-5033-27/100565937

• not_a_runner
    Options

I mean there is the potential for blowing a bicep......
    Or developing your back unevenly.
    (This coming from someone who used mixed grip religiously.)
  • stanmann571
    Options

That is another one of those no-nos that is just nonsense.

Many women don't want "man hands" so they use gloves. No problem if you get proper gloves.

Heck, in the winter I sometimes lift in my garage with Home Depot leather work gloves. They work fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Grip-Orange-Suede-Cowhide-Leather-and-Denim-Large-Work-Gloves-5033-27/100565937

I'd suggest the basic Mechanix brand is probably going to be more likely to have a comfortable and correct fit.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    I'm curious why so many people are for gloves, but completely against straps?
  • stanmann571
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm curious why so many people are for gloves, but completely against straps?

Probably because Gloves don't add to your ability to pull weight, and straps do.

They may allow you to pull more(volume) but they won't generally let you pull more(weight).