Starting Keto

Options
I have decided to try the Keto approach as a lifestyle change and a way to lose weight.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    No way could I eat keto forever - but good luck to you!

Here's a link to one of the low carbers group here - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • bizinfi
    bizinfi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I could easily eat Keto forever. It is a plan to last the rest of our lives with adjustments for maintenace later. If a person goes back to not eating Keto, they often just go back to what they were.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    bizinfi wrote: »
    I could easily eat Keto forever. It is a plan to last the rest of our lives with adjustments for maintenace later. If a person goes back to not eating Keto, they often just go back to what they were.

no they don't. Many will start regaining the weight once you reintroduce carbs.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    lois1231 wrote: »

The vast majority of people who lose weight regain it, the number is somewhere around 90%

People regain weight using keto, or using weight loss shakes, or using calories in vs. calories out, etc. It comes down to maintaining some sort of discipline "after dieting."

ALL weight loss is about calories. ALL maintenance is about calories. A smaller you will require fewer calories forever. Check your before & after - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I can't eliminate carbs forever (no medical issues for me).....so I don't use keto to lose weight. Weight loss is just the first step. I think the above poster (bizinfi) was referring to the fact that maintenance should have some resemblance to our dieting strategy......or maintenance will be like starting over. Carbs don't make us fat.....calories do.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    lois1231 wrote: »

The vast majority of people who lose weight regain it, the number is somewhere around 90%

People regain weight using keto, or using weight loss shakes, or using calories in vs. calories out, etc. It comes down to maintaining some sort of discipline "after dieting."

ALL weight loss is about calories. ALL maintenance is about calories. A smaller you will require fewer calories forever. Check your before & after - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I can't eliminate carbs forever (no medical issues for me).....so I don't use keto to lose weight. Weight loss is just the first step. I think the above poster (bizinfi) was referring to the fact that maintenance should have some resemblance to our dieting strategy......or maintenance will be like starting over. Carbs don't make us fat.....calories do.

Thank you for clarifying this.
  • Juewee81
    Juewee81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @jackirowland That's exciting, good luck!
  • oldkmom
    oldkmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I suggest you read the Obesity Code by Dr. Fung! you can also find many articles for free and watch his videos on YouTube. It has a plethora of good info that will help you! Especially, if you want to embrace a WOE and not just a "diet". :-)