Poor deadlifting hands

Options

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm curious why so many people are for gloves, but completely against straps?

Dunno... but these types of threads have popped up before. For some it's a badge of honor to lift without any type of assistance. I feel that if you are shorting your pulls because of failing grip strength you are just cheating yourself. Grip strength often lags behind the larger muscle groups and can be a limiting factor with longer sessions or high volume.

Personally, I've started using Cobra Grips (a more robust and adjustable Versa Grip) and I love them. For me it was to help alleviate some tendinitis in my elbows related to grip. Especially valuable for things like heavy shrugs which I do near the end of my workout when I'm pretty darned tired already.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

Probably because Gloves don't add to your ability to pull weight, and straps do.

They may allow you to pull more(volume) but they won't generally let you pull more(weight).

If people are just lifting recreationally, I don't see why that really matters though.

I can deadlift the same with mixed grip and chalk as I can with straps (but I would consider it safer to use the straps, for the reasons I mentioned upthread). Mixed grip alone adds hundreds of pounds to my pull, and I can't think of a time that I've ever missed a pull because of grip since I started pulling mixed.
    I mean if we really want to go purist, I would say mixed grip and chalk is just as much cheating as straps is for me lol.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Dunno... but these types of threads have popped up before. For some it's a badge of honor to lift without any type of assistance. I feel that if you are shorting your pulls because of failing grip strength you are just cheating yourself. Grip strength often lags behind the larger muscle groups and can be a limiting factor with longer sessions or high volume.

Personally, I've started using Cobra Grips (a more robust and adjustable Versa Grip) and I love them. For me it was to help alleviate some tendinitis in my elbows related to grip. Especially valuable for things like heavy shrugs which I do near the end of my workout when I'm pretty darned tired already.

I agree. While I only use chalk currently, I'm looking into getting some straps myself. I do back and legs 3x a week and my hands don't have enough time to recover between lifting days, even though the rest of my body does.
  • not_a_runner
    Options

I've also found them helpful for forearm/elbow tendinitis.
  • UKWildcatDave
    UKWildcatDave Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've yet to try it, but hook grip is always an option.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the cross grip.

That is another one of those no-nos that is just nonsense.

Many women don't want "man hands" so they use gloves. No problem if you get proper gloves.

Heck, in the winter I sometimes lift in my garage with Home Depot leather work gloves. They work fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Grip-Orange-Suede-Cowhide-Leather-and-Denim-Large-Work-Gloves-5033-27/100565937

I'd suggest the basic Mechanix brand is probably going to be more likely to have a comfortable and correct fit.

Tactical gloves rule. :)
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Heaviest ever at 30kg..please don't laugh :D

Felt great but hard on the hands, what are straps used for or should I go for gloves?

I prefer hook grip (hence my profile picture), but it's not easy to master it, because it usually *kitten* hurts in the first 2-3 weeks (people initially give up on them because of the pain), but once your thumb gets used to the pain, it becomes easier and straps becomes obsolete. If pain scares you, you can go for gloves or straps....I prefer that old school method.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Strongman competitors use straps and I don't see any issue with using them if you are not going to be competing in powerlifting. There are far better ways to improve grip strength than deadlifting.

I also use Cobra wraps for near max triples. I do the first two or three without assistance and use the wraps for the last one or two depending on my grip that day.
  • not_a_runner
    Options

Strongman competitors use straps and I don't see any issue with using them if you are not going to be competing in powerlifting. There are far better ways to improve grip strength than deadlifting.

I’ve seen some top level Powerlifters who pull with straps during certain training periods and have a specific grip regimen separately. (Pete Rubish for one. And he pulls 900+ lbs)

I deadlift to improve my deadlift, or the muscles it works. If I want to train my grip I will do grip work.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options

Many women don't want "man hands" so they use gloves. No problem if you get proper gloves.

Heck, in the winter I sometimes lift in my garage with Home Depot leather work gloves. They work fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Grip-Orange-Suede-Cowhide-Leather-and-Denim-Large-Work-Gloves-5033-27/100565937

My hands actually hurt from the grain carved into the metal bar, this is what I mean by criss cross...what do you mean it's nonsense?
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm not a powerlifter so it's not important that get to crazy heavy weights when deadlifting.

I'll just keep going and practicing with what I'm doing, if I need some assistance I'll have a go with liquid chalk and an alternate hand grip.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

My hands actually hurt from the grain carved into the metal bar, this is what I mean by criss cross...what do you mean it's nonsense?

Pretty sure he meant mixed grip. The pattern on the bar is called "knurling". You should see what it does to hands if it's on a pull-up bar. I've seen CF boys and girls rip their hands to shreds trying to do kipping PU's on a knurled bar. ;)
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Use whatever works best for you to help you reach your goals. I've never used straps or gloves and have pulled up to 275 kg.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    There's no law against using straps. Straps are useful at times.

Deadlifts are not one of them IMO.

Hanging on to the bar is a key element of the deadlift. Your grip will not develop using straps.

Using assistance equipment does allow you to lift more weight but what does it mean if you can't lift the weight without wearing the equipment? What is the reality of benching 200lbs more by wearing a bench shirt?

What is the reality of deadlifting 500lbs if you have to wear straps to do it? The reality is you can't lift it.

But you say...I am not training for a competition, why shouldn't I use straps? Well, why bother wearing straps at all? Why bother? Just lift the darn weight as best you can by yourself. If you can't hold on to it you just aren't strong enough...yet. By not using straps, someday you just might BE strong enough to lift it.

If you can't lift it by yourself, you can't lift it. Period.

And how will you develop a grip strong enough to deadlift what you want if you always use straps?

Tearing a bicep using a mixed grip is similar to tearing a pec doing bench presses. Both these injuries just about always only occur with steroid users, whose muscles by their almost miraculous speedy development, exceed in strength the tissues that hold them together.

Have no fear of tearing your bicep doing deadlifts.

If your hands are too weak to hold on to the bar doing deadlifts, they won't get strong enough to do it if you use straps.

Anyway, do whatever you want. Just my two cents.

Nonsense.

I concur. There are plenty of ways to increase grip strength and allowing your deadlift to remain stagnant, neglecting progress in your lower back, glutes, and hammies is not one of them. Train deadlift by training deadlift. Train grip by training grip.

Also agree.

Not to mention injuries can happen to anyone.. Not just enhanced athletes.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

I mean there is the potential for blowing a bicep......
    Or developing your back unevenly.
    (This coming from someone who used mixed grip religiously.)

A extremely slight risk for a bicep tear, I thinks it's less than .0025% if I remember correctly . It's "blown" ;) out of proportion as far as the risk to mention really.

Developmental Imbalances fall in the same field and there is zero data showing that switch grip is the cause. I would be more concerned with the windmill effect it causes some lifters. That could make things dicey as far as safety/injury.

OP, straps are fine if your prefer. Hand strength only needs to be worked on if that is a limiting factor and you are a competitor.

Personally I pull hook grip with chslk on semi heavy singles & use straps quite alot for multi rep working sets. I pulled well over 500+ in a recent meet and never had a problem with slippage.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't use gloves to deadlift and my hands are as soft as ever (wish I did have "man hands"). I've tried a tiny bit of chalk on PR's- can't say it helped. My gym is too clean and I feel bad getting chalk all over the place. My best is 340x5 (over/under grip) but after hearing about bicep & shoulder tear risk switched to double overhand and am now trying to learn the hook grip. My best deadlift (double overhand) is 330x5. Hoping the hook grip will take me to the next level. I may try straps someday, but would prefer to hit the 1000 lb club without them.