Tooth-mounted food logging. It's a thing.

Options
JeromeBarry1
JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180322103058.htm

Date:March 22, 2018

Source:Tufts University

Summary:Engineers have developed miniaturized sensors that, when mounted directly on a tooth and communicating wirelessly with a mobile device, can transmit information on glucose, salt and alcohol intake. Researchers note that future adaptations of these sensors could enable the detection and recording of a wide range of nutrients, chemicals and physiological states.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    That could be bad, really bad.
  • th1nr
    th1nr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That's really creepy/scary!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’ll play devils advocate. It’s handy information. Don’t we do the same thing with our step counters, our heart rate monitors, and our intelligent scales?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I want an intelligent refrigerator that lets me know when I am running low, tracks grocery lists, supermarket sales, coupons, and suggests menus based on what I have.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    What else would it log? What I say, and to whom I say it? Where I go? And who would receive this information? And what would they do with it?

Constructive paranoia FTW.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Big brother is watching. Not paranoid. :p
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    How does one think their data from this site might be used? I mean, Facebook always said a user's data belongs to the user, but we all know how that's turning out ...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Since it communicates with radio waves, it's only a frequency shift to generate a toothache. It's not too odd to imagine a therapeutic device that senses your total calories and stops you from eating more by imposing pain.
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

You know that all that was a fraud, right? On pretty much every level. They ran the tests on regular machines and claimed it was being done with theirs. They messed up a bunch of test results (for many many people) which got Holmes and the lab director banned from doing blood testing for 3? years. And the SEC is investigating (and has indicted?) Elizabeth Holmes for securities fraud for lying to the investors about the state of the technology.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    Cant say I'd be interested in using it myself.

But I agree with PP - I don't get all the paranoia, is no different from heart rate monitor, fitbits etc ( none if which I use either) which synchronise to digital devices
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    All fun until your health insurance company accesses the data and raises your rates.