How do we feel about bagels?

Options
I like bagels because they're cheap and easy. I can have them whether I'm on the go or not. I usually put a tomato slice on the top of each half along with a tiny bit of cream cheese (cause I love it!) But everything I read on the internet says bagels are the spawn of satan for losing weight. If I have a bagel every morning for breakfast, is that going to contribute negatively to my weight loss goals or cause me to blow up like the Goodyear blimp?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I read that too. I used to eat them regularly - now they are kind of a treat. If you have to have them, look for small (or mini) bagels, those may satisfy.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Get 100% Whole Grain and watch your portions.
  • carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    Options
    weight watchers makes low cal bagels..i lovee bagels but they have so many carbs! maybe try low cal high fiber bread with tomato and cream cheese?
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    BAGEL THINS!!!! You must get them! They are good, and less calories! I have one every morning with an egg, canadian bacon and cheese, or just weight watchers cream cheese, and sometimes butter spray. Love em!
  • grimms11208
    grimms11208 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I just found the "Bagel Thins" They are 110 calories with 4g of fiber and 5g of protein and they are whole wheat. They are very good and they do not kill your diet!
  • treime
    treime Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There are also bagel thins, they have pretty good consistency but a lot less dough so aren't as bad. (~110 calories).

http://www.thomas100calorie.com/Our-Products/Bagels/Bagel-Thins/Thomas-Plain-Bagel-Thins-Bagels-(8-pack)/Default.aspx
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have just half of a bagel (light butter, fat free cream cheese) with some protein (eggs or something) and usually an apple when I do eat bagels and save the other half for the next day.
  • Malloryrae1211
    Malloryrae1211 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bagels unless it's a major treat. I've read they are the DEVIL! haha! Have you ever tried bagel thins?! They are good and around 100 cals.
  • mefeight1964
    mefeight1964 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like the whole grain bagel thins! Only 110 calories for the whole thing! :)
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    Very high in calories and high in carbs. Go with the mini's if you have to have one. Or maybe try whole wheat English Muffins.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I think it stems from the carb fears of most. Think about it terms of overall nutritional value. Look to balance them with a healthy lifestyle, and I don't think it matters overall.

Of course, that said, I usually only have them once and a while and split them with a friend, or just save half for another day, and balance them with english muffins with peanut butter, whole wheat toast, etc. And, the Sara Lee brand has mini-bagels that help with portion control, too.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I buy honey wheat or whole wheat Thomas bagels (sometimes I splurge and buy the cinnamon swirl ones!). I have one for breakfast ALL the time.

I weighed in at 144lbs this morning and have been maintaining this weight for awhile now.

As long as you aren't eating 2, 3 or 4 of them a day and you are working it into your calories - I think it is fine. But, people will disagree with me and that's alright. I enjoy bagels and won't give them up. :)
  • RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay low carb, so to me, they are of the devil :) But I used to get the Weight Watchers ones with WW cream cheese as well and lost weight just fine.
  • srostad2006
    srostad2006 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Another option is to try English Muffins. Less calories but equally filling. Ultimately though, it all comes down to calories in, calories out.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i LOVE bagels!!! and im from nj, so theyre REAL bagels lol and theyre amazing. i treat them as a treat, so if i can work them into my calories once on the weekend, i go for it!
  • NicciGarvito
    Options
    LOL I agree with the spawn of satat thing. they have more calories than a donut. however a donut obviously has more sugar....i am all about protien for b-fast gets the metabolism pumping and keeps you fuller longer than bread does becasue it takes longer to break down
  • peacestar84
    Options
    In the end a calorie is a calorie. As long as you fit it in your range you are good. I eat bagels all the time with lots of cream cheese and I have had no problem in dropping weight.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Today's bagels are 3 times the size of what they were 10 years ago....Cut the bagel in half, and then cut the half in half and only eat 2 pieces....That's what I do if I HAVE to eat one (which I typically don't).... :flowerforyou:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    The reason people think bagels are the spawn of the devil is because there's just so much bread in them. My mom used to tell me that eating an entire bagel was like eating six pieces of bread... All i know is, when I first moved out of my parents' house, I went from eating a bagel every single morning for breakfast to eating toast, since I was then living in a neighbourhood without a bagel shop! I quickly lost 10 pounds without changing anything else.

Bagel thins are a great alternative. Or you can just pick out the inside of a regular bagel. Or just don't eat one every single morning. Like everything else, it's all about moderation. Hell would have to freeze over before I give up my occasional bagel with cream cheese and lox...!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    anything with white flour will deter your weight loss/health goals. so, yeah, bagels are in that group.