Home Exercise Equipment Help

Options
Hi! My husband wants to buy a (used) piece of exercise equipment for when the weather makes outdoor exercise too difficult. We prefer to exercise outside. Looking for recommendations. We have a weight set and I honestly am content using Fitness Blender videos as workouts inside. We don't want a treadmill, and it would be easy to get a Nordic Track for free. I love rowing machines and ARC trainers. I don't think he's been on any type of exercise equipment, so no preferences from him. We have room for one of these pieces of equipment. We'd like to buy something that will last for a long time without needing repairs, and something that gives a good full-body workout.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If you want full body, I think a rower is the only one that really qualifies, at least of what you listed as possible options.

If you aren't looking for something that will replicate your outdoor experience (i.e. you want to bike indoors because it's too wet/cold/whatever outside to ride), then a rower would probably be my first recommendation regardless.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I think a rowing machine is the best bang for your buck.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a rower. I'd go for the Concept2.

I do, however, REALLY like my bike trainer. It kept me going all winter, and now I'll tuck it away in the closet and take the bike back outside.

Then again, I did a strength workout this morning with a 40-lb bag of dog food, a 12-lb bag of brown rice, and a gallon jug of olive oil -- I call it the Costco Workout -- so I may not be the best person to get equipment advice from. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,702 Member
    Options
    Waterrower and Concept 2 are the quality rowing machines. I don't know much about WR's resale market, but the C2s hold value very well. Unfortunately, it's a real fluke if you can find a C2 in excellent condition for much less than full retail.

Good workout, though! :)
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Another Vote for a Concept 2 rower, if you can find one.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    We'd like to buy something that will last for a long time without needing repairs, and something that gives a good full-body workout.

The only piece of equipment that will meet these requirements is a Concept2 rower.

Water rowers are not maintenance free and, when I was shopping for a rower, I came across too many complaints about things breaking, leaking and/or needing repairs.

C2's are virtually bullet proof and last forever w/o the need for repair or reconditioning.

They are subject to incredible abuse and neglect at gyms but, even though worse for wear, never seem to breakdown.

Consequently, I expect mine to last much longer than I do. ;)

PS: Some may argue that an airdyne bike (and even an elliptical w/movable arms) can provide you w/a full body workout.

True, you have to move your arms on them but, based on my experience, you do not use your upper body on them as much as you do on a rower.

However, if you just like biking or the elliptical better than rowing, fine. Some upper body effort is better than none but no other equipment really surpasses a rower for a combined full body aerobic workout.
  • jamesdlynn6371
    jamesdlynn6371 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think a cable machine is good to stay in shape. I have one in my home gym with row, pull up, dip, press, quad and triceps. Pretty much total body. Plus i have a bench and squat rack.
  • littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! sgt1372, I actually like rowing a lot. There is a concept 2 rower for sale nearby for $350. Is this a good price?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone! sgt1372, I actually like rowing a lot. There is a concept 2 rower for sale nearby for $350. Is this a good price?

OMG, yes, run to go buy that and have cash! It might need some minor work (perhaps) at that price. I would bet it's gone already, though. Anything under $700 is a fantastic price for one!

For me (others have already said what I'd say), you can't beat the Concept2 rower. With that said, my wife likes the Air Dyne Pro (Assault style bike) more. I row roughly 50K to 70K meters a week on a C2 rower, but I will say the Air Dyne (or Assault Bike or the new Rogue Bike or a Cybex) would provide similar types of work/calories. They are full body workouts too. So is a SkiErg but I think (to me) that would be a bit boring. A lot of really serious C2 rowers now have SkiErgs at home too. I don't think any of the Air Bikes would be as durable, though, as a C2 rower.
  • littlebear0121
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation, MikePfirrman. I'd never heard of a SkiErg, but it looks awesome! I would enjoy it because it would remind me of skiing. You do a lot of rowing. I'll call the seller of the $350 C2.
  • sgt1372
    edited March 2018
    Options

Late response but hope it's still helpful.

At that price, it's probably a very early model or really beat-up.

I wouldn't buy anything older than a Model D w/a PM3. Model Ds date back to 2003. You can determine the date it was made from the serial number based on the following:

http://www.concept2.com/service/indoor-rowers/model-d

The PM3 monitor was introduced at the same time as the Model D in 2003. It is functional but has been susperceded by the PM5.

See:
    http://www.concept2.com/service/monitors/pm3

The PM3 can be upgraded to a PM5 for $160-$180 depending on the mounting bracket used.

See: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/performance-monitors/retrofitting-pm5

Earlier PMs can be upgraded to a PM5 too but they would have come on Model C's or earlier (over 15 years old) and I see no reason why you should even consider that regardless of the price.

There are certain features that the PM5 has that are worth upgrading for like the ANT+ HRM connection and the ability to use a USB drive to record and log your workouts online to the Concept2 Logbook.

I never found the HRM connection reliable and stopped using it but I log all of my workouts online and find the USB drive feature essential.

You can use an obsolete Logcard to record your workouts on a PM3 but I'm not sure it's possible to transfer the data on a Logcard to your computer w/o a card reader that I've never seen offered.

Lastly, you can see the lifetime meters rowed on any C2 by following these instructions:

http://www.concept2.com/service/monitors/pm3/how-to-use/viewing-lifetime-meters-odometer

This will be an indication of the degree of use but meters alone should not be the only consideration because is not uncommon for a well cared for C2 owned privately to show millions of meters of use.

I've only had my C2 for 2 years and only rowed 400k meters on it in the 1st year but have rowed 1.6 million meters this year (most of that just in the past 4 months) for a total of 2 million meters overall. However, I am the only one using the C2 in my home and it is well cared for and not abused.

On the other hand, a C2 from a gym w/millions of meters on the monitor is likely to be a wreck. It will probably still work but the internals will probably be extremely worn and require reconditioning.

I would avoid any gym owned C2's unless they show extremely low use and proper care. The cost of repair for an abused and neglected C2 could wipe out any possible cost savings buying used and may even end up costing more than buying one new.

Regarding cost, I see very few Model D's w/a PM3 offered at less than $700, which could be for a C2 up to 15 years old!

You can buy a brand new Model D w/a PM5 directy from Concept2 (or, if you want a black one from Rogue) for $940 (including shipping).

I shopped on Craigslist and eBay for a long time b4 deciding that it wasn't worth $200-250 to buy one used and paid for a brand new and current model w/warranty from C2.

I like to save $ but I try not to be pennywise and pound foolish and am willing to pay more when the circumstances justify it. I believe that buying a C2 is one of those cases. You'll have to decide whether it is or not for you.

Remember if you are able to buy a used C2 w/a PM3 for $700-750 and want to upgrade to a PM5, it will cost you $160-180 more wiping out most if not all of the cost savings of buying used.

On the other hand, if you can buy a well cared for Model D w/a PM5 for $700-800, I'd jump on it. The cheapest of these I've ever seen was and is still being offered at $850, which is not cheap enough to me.

Anyway, these are the reasons I chose to buy new and I hope this info will help to inform your buying decision.

Good luck!
  • sgt1372
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation, MikePfirrman. I'd never heard of a SkiErg, but it looks awesome! I would enjoy it because it would remind me of skiing. You do a lot of rowing. I'll call the seller of the $350 C2.

A SkiErg is primarily an upper body workout device that simulates the poleing (sp?) action used when cross country skiing.

It can providing a very grueling upper body workout, less so for the lower body. Kind of the opposite of a spin bike that can provide a grueling lower (but not upper body) workout

I considered buying a SkiErg but decided against it because I didn't think it added much to my lifting and rowing workouts. Might have decided differently if I was a regular cross country skier, but I'm not.

If I were to buy another device, I'd sell my Lemond spin bike and buy an Airdyne bike instead. It would provide a workout similar to the C2 that involves the entire body but, since I already own a C2 and since I prefer rowing to biking, there's really no reason to buy a Airdyne too.

I will add, however, that if you have any knee problems, a rower probably would be better choice than a bike, simply because riding a bike is (or can be) much more stressful on the knees than rowing where you use both legs in unison rather that placing force on each leg individually.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    I agree with you Sgt on the watching out for a broken machine but the SkiErg can certainly be a lower body workout too. I know some world class indoor rowers that use the SkiErg and swear it's every bit of a whole body workout as the rower. I haven't done it (and I'm not on the level of these guys -- one just broke the WR for the 5K on the SkiErg for the 40 to 50 age group), but I trust these guys a lot. The guy who broke the record is a well respected trainer in Europe.

http://www.concept2.com/news/skierg-using-legs-or-not
  • sgt1372
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I agree with you Sgt on the watching out for a broken machine but the SkiErg can certainly be a lower body workout too. I know some world class indoor rowers that use the SkiErg and swear it's every bit of a whole body workout as the rower. I haven't done it (and I'm not on the level of these guys -- one just broke the WR for the 5K on the SkiErg for the 40 to 50 age group), but I trust these guys a lot. The guy who broke the record is a well respected trainer in Europe.

http://www.concept2.com/news/skierg-using-legs-or-not

I don't disagree.

A SkiErg can involve the lower body, just less so IMO than a rower.

I just found it too one dimensional for my taste. It is also very hard to use for long (at least it was for me) without quickly getting tired.

I think this is because the upper body muscles are weaker than those in the lower body, the latter which are primarily used in rowing.

You hear of people rowing for hours doing marathons but I doubt you could spend the same amount of time on a SkiErg.

Heck, I can't sit on my rower for more than 15 mins w/o getting a PITA. So, my rowing sessions never last more than that anyway. I just row 4-8 2.5-3k meter intervals of 12-15 mins instead. My skinny butt can't take more than that. LOL!

Bottomline, it all just comes down to personal choice. No piece of equipment is worth anything if you don't use it.

Like the $1k (+$200 in options) that I spent on my Lemond Revmaster Pro spin bike that I almost never use anymore since I bought my C2.

Should sell it but I could only get about $700-800 (at most) for it now. Besides, I still use it now and then and it's just so pretty sitting there.

Kind of like a Ducati I use to own but seldom rode. Looked gorveous just sitting in the garage. However, the Ducati cost $16k and it didn't make sense to leave that much money lying around. The Lemond is another matter.

LOL, again! ;)

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out that, while a rower is certainly good exercise, most people don't actually prefer it over an elliptical trainer, as is evident if you look at any gym with all the different options. It really depends on what you are getting/staying in shape FOR. Whatever that activity is, you should emulate it with your machine.
  • littlebear0121
    Options
    Jthanmyfitne...I mostly want to be in shape for my health. I enjoy rowing and prefer it over an elliptical, but I like both of them. My favorite piece of equipment is the ARC trainer because it reminds me of nordic skiing. I want to lose about 30 pounds.
  • littlebear0121
    Options
    euz6muubq5ng.jpg

• littlebear0121
    Options
    Sgt1372, The rowing machine for $350 is 90 miles away. Owner doesn't know the model number or the type of monitor, but he sent this photo. Can you tell by the photo if it's too old? I would guess that it is based on the price. Thanks!
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Sgt1372, The rowing machine for $350 is 90 miles away. Owner doesn't know the model number or the type of monitor, but he sent this photo. Can you tell by the photo if it's too old? I would guess that it is based on the price. Thanks!

That's a PM1, so it's definitely an older model. The earliest models didn't even have a fan guard and I can see the fan guard on this one. It would have to be well, well taken care of with it being that aged. It's possible that it's still in great shape and that all it might need is a PM5 upgrade ($180). If so, you might have an older, but very functional and reasonable rowing machine. If the PM1 works and it doesn't bother you it isn't very interactive, then you're good.

• Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am having good luck with the Total Gym, you can buy them used pretty cheap cause a lot of folks stop using home gyms quickly. you can also buy a regular Matt Pilates Reformer. try amazon or Craigs list if you are ok saving money and buying used. that's what I did and I got one that was like new. very happy with it.