Throat gets sore after drinking protein shake

Options
For some reason, whenever I drink plant-based protein/nutrition shakes, like Vega and others, my throat gets sore afterward (even ones without artificial sweeteners). I use a shaker, so it's still kind of grainy when I drink it. Is this an allergic reaction, or is it due to the graininess? It goes away after a few hours.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Could be both. I don’t like the graininess myself, I gave my Vega away.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Could be either? Does your throat feel tight? If so, I'd definitely suspect allergy. I'm allergic to almond and soy so have to avoid those in a protein shake. Thorne makes a decent tasting pea and lentil protein powder. I prefer chocolate as it's not as sweet as the vanilla one.

If graininess is the issue, try adding a teaspoon of olive oil. I add two, and it really helps.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you have this problem when you drink non-plant based protein shakes or are you only having the plant based protein?

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree it could be an allergy. I have had allergic reactions to medications and food dyes that make my throat feel as though it is constricting.

I also gave my Vega protein powder away. I couldn't deal with the texture.
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    DumbledoresPhoenix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it might be the alfalfa and hemp and grass type things in the vegan shakes. I am allergic to grasses and trees, so that is my best guess. Thanks for the responses, everyone!
  • flowlc3000
    flowlc3000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @DumbledoresPhoenix Just curious to see what type of protein your are using now ? Because I had the exact same problem this morning.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,179 Member
    Options
    flowlc3000 wrote: »
    @DumbledoresPhoenix Just curious to see what type of protein your are using now ? Because I had the exact same problem this morning.

Just in case you aren't aware, you are responding to a five-year-old thread, and the poster you are asking hasn't been active on the forums in those five years.