finding time to exercise with work and young children

Options
Hi all,

I have started working on my diet using MFP. I would like to start working out but find it hard to do while balancing work and a family, not to mention keeping my house clean! Any good suggestions on how to fit exercise in? I thought about waking up early...but I am not naturally a early bird and don't want to set unattainable goals,

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    There are very busy people who manage to find time to exercise. If you want it, you'll make time for it. It may be that you have to do it in the early morning. Or late at night, after the kids go to bed.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    You make the time. Of course it can be more challenging if you work out of the home f/t and have young children.
    I either work out at 5a or after i feed the kids dinner (they eat at 5:30, I wait for my husband to get home from work, around 7/7:30 usually). I run (outdoors preferred, but in the northeast, so end up indoors on our treadmill quite a bit) or do P90X.
  • sunnikim
    sunnikim Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you and continue to struggle. I go through spurts where I'm dedicated and work out after my kids go to bed (9:30/10:00), but then I'll hit a bad stretch where I'm not sleeping well and am tired at that point at night and I fall off the bandwagon. I unfortunately don't have any good advice. I too have been told what the previous poster said, "If you want it, you'll make time for it." I do want it, but sometimes I just want sleep more. :)

I think it's just a matter of establishing a routine & then not letting yourself fall off the bandwagon. I don't know how old your kids are (mine are 5 yrs & 18 months), so they still depend on me for just about everything. Then you factor in work & a household to maintain and it eats up all of your free time. I was just talking with a coworker today about this exact subject. I do feel better when I get some sort of exercise in, even if it's only 20 minutes, so I'm going to try incredibly hard to slot that amount of time aside for myself.

Good luck to you, it's not easy, I know!