Healthier alternative to Peanutbutter?

Options
megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
What is it, why is it healthier and what does it taste like?

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with peanuttbutter????? not a damn thing
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with peanuttbutter????? not a damn thing

Agreed!
  • Quiltmania
    Options
    PB2 (you can find it online). It is actually powdered peanut butter. It is healthy because most of the fat has been removed. You just add water and it tastes like regular peanut butter.
  • mdkiwi
    mdkiwi Posts: 8
    Options
    Peanut butter is fantastic! But I would suggest avoiding the highly processed stuff and going organic. Don't need added sugar and it tends to have less salt.
  • shashaz2002
    Options
    Trader Joes & Whole Foods carry a brand of Peanut butter that is called "Better than Peanut Butter"
    Here is a link to the website, I actually like it better than real peanut butter.
    http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    Have to agree here, it is a staple of my everyday snacking. Meaning, the natural kind. Maple grove, organic too etc...
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You could also try almond butter. Trader Joes sells some (get the unsalted variety)
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    PB is my favorite thing in the world. I have it everyday and I'm still losing weight.
    Just watch your portions!
  • yogamom16
    yogamom16 Posts: 114
    Options
    I am a peanut butter addict. I eat it all the time! Are you looking for something like almond butter as an alternative? I have tried all different butters and nothing satisfies me like regular old PB. :)
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Peanut butter is incredibly good for you. Pair it with an apple or celery and it's a fantastic protein filled snack! I did notice at the store last week that there's something called "soy butter"....I didn't read the nutritional information because I really didn't care. Do you just not care for peanut butter?
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    the fat in peanut butter is not bad fat, i do myseld buy the peter pan with out high fructose corn syrup
  • Cusegirl1992
    Options
    not sure about healthier, but an option is Soy butter or Sunflower butter. My daughter is allergic to peanuts and so this is her alternative. My other daughter who is NOT allergic has tried both and says they taste just like peanut butter.
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter. I do buy soy nut butter which tastes similar for packing school lunches, but it doesn't save much... I much rather the real stuff.
  • lulupallooza
    lulupallooza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Love my peanut butter! No alternatives for me, please. ;-)
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    different nuts have different health benefits and peanuts are actually not the healthiest, so i mix it up.... I have a mixed cashew/peanut/almond butter I like, sunflower seed butter (i consider it a tastier, creamier version of PB), and hazelnut chocolate for a change up and treat...

if you are near a Trader Joe's they also have a PB w/ flax seeds, and almond w/ flax seeds.

but for easy and easy to find and healthier, almond butter and sunflower seed in terms of what nuts they have found to be healthy.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What is it, why is it healthier and what does it taste like?

What's your definition of "healthier" in this sense?

If you're worried about the fats in peanut butter, remember that peanuts (and all nuts, for that matter) contain "good" fats and aren't the same as, say, the fat in a hamburger.

If you're worried about the sugar, look on the ingredient labels for minimal ingredients. I personally prefer Natural Jif and Simply Jif. They both basically consist of peanuts, palm oil, and a little molasses.

If you're worried about allergies, check out Nutella or another nut butter. I haven't had them, personally, except Soy Butter in a Faux Peanut Butter pie recipe (which rocked, almost better than "Real" Peanut Butter pie), so you'll just have to experiment to see what you like.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    PB2 (you can find it online). It is actually powdered peanut butter. It is healthy because most of the fat has been removed. You just add water and it tastes like regular peanut butter.
    you can also usually find it in your local grocery store. the commissary at the base i live on has it, and it is SMALL compared to other bases i have been to. i myself have never tried it. i love my reg ol extra crunchy peanut butter on occasion.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

Nonfat food(s) are not automatically healthier. In fact, they are often filled with other nasties in order to take the place of the fat. Whereas, fat(as a macronutrient) is actually something our body needs to survive.
  • lulupallooza
    lulupallooza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Green apple slices and peanut butter!!!! A very well rounded, good for you, snack!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter has less sodium and sugar.