Healthier alternative to Peanutbutter?

Options

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd rather eat the real thing, but this blog explains a lot about PB2:
    http://www.dailygarnish.com/2010/09/powdered-peanut-butter-a-review-taste-test.html
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    *sigh*
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    different nuts have different health benefits and peanuts are actually not the healthiest, so i mix it up.... I have a mixed cashew/peanut/almond butter I like, sunflower seed butter (i consider it a tastier, creamier version of PB), and hazelnut chocolate for a change up and treat...

if you are near a Trader Joe's they also have a PB w/ flax seeds, and almond w/ flax seeds.

but for easy and easy to find and healthier, almond butter and sunflower seed in terms of what nuts they have found to be healthy.
    ive been wanting to try sunflower seed butter
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    PB2 is good stuff!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I buy store brand "no salt added" peanut butter and love it. Tastes the same without the sodium!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    PB2 (you can find it online). It is actually powdered peanut butter. It is healthy because most of the fat has been removed. You just add water and it tastes like regular peanut butter.

Nonfat food are not automatically healthier. In fact, they are often filled with other nasties in order to take the place of the fat. Whereas, fat(as a macronutrient) is actually something our body needs to survive.

exactly. seriously read the labels on some fat free or low fat stuff
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    My sister mixes half peanut butter with equal amounts mashed banana... it cuts the cals and tastes like... banana and peanut butter :)
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    PB2 is great, but hard to get and expensive. I do indulge when I'm in Gainesvile since I can buy it local.

I really like SImply Jif and Organic Jif. Great options!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter has less sodium and sugar.

Natural PB has less sodium and NO sugar. Personally, I like Smucker's Natural PB Chunky. When you get it (or other natural PB), you will have to stir in the oil when you first open it and then refrigerate it...but its worth it.
  • hfsgirl
    hfsgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try peanut wonder!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Farmers actually farm peanuts to clean out the soil, and those peanuts are still used for public consumption. That measn that peanuts are full of toxins!

Almond butter is the best choice. Better for you, great tasting, and much healthier!
  • hklesser
    Options
    I like "Better'n Peanut Butter." If there is a Trader Joe's near you, you may want to try that. It is not cheap, though. Also, I have from some PB lovers that they don't like it at all. At about half the calories of regular PB, it is worth a shot.

http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php
  • banjjo
    banjjo Posts: 89
    Options
    There are a lot of things I can avoid, but peanut butter, and especially almond butter, are like alcohol to an alcoholic for me. Just can't touch the stuff without eating a whole jar. That's when it becomes unhealthy for me. Sad but true. Wish there were a substitute for it that had about 10 calories per serving instead of 100.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    There's a brand called Krema at my local Frys. It contains:

PEANUTS
    SALT

that is all. what exactly is unhealthy about peanut butter? strange posts here sometimes
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating the natural kind without added fats and sugar, or eating so much that you go over your calories, peanut butter is about as healthy as it gets.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I get freshly ground almond butter @ my local grocery store (winco) - or you can make your own.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Peanut-Butter
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    All natural peanut butter is just fine!!!! The processed stuff is the danger zone.

I also LOVE Justin's Maple Almond Butter. You can buy a jar or individual packets. It's all natural and I put it on low-calorie pumpkin or banana pancakes...
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Try peanut wonder!

Ingredients: Peanuts (as de-fatted peanut flour and natural peanut butter), tapioca syrup, pure water, dehydrated cane juice, rice syrup, vegetable glycerin, soy flour, salt, tapioca starch, natural flavors, paprika & annatto, calcium carbonate, lecithin, vitamins e & c (antioxidants).
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Just make your own.

2 cups peanuts
    2 tbsp coconut oil
    2 tbsp brown sugar

Throw in food processor… done.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Farmers actually farm peanuts to clean out the soil, and those peanuts are still used for public consumption. That measn that peanuts are full of toxins!

You're more likely to have people believe you if you cite your sources.