Treadmill help

Options
jessmd28
jessmd28 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi friend! I’m down 60 pounds and now I’d like to try to get a treadmill for home. Can anyone recommend one? I thousand dollars is about my limit but I don’t want to buy something that will fall apart either. Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give me!

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Check out the reviews on www.treadmilldoctor.com/. There's a lot of junk out there in that price range so be sure to check the ratings first. Maybe look for a used one as well.

Or better yet, skip the dreadmill and get outside. B)

Good luck.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I have a NordicTrack that I like. It's the second one I have owned. Both were about $999 at Sears. You might also keep an eye on Craigslist to look for a used one if money is an issue. A lot of people buy them but don't use them.
  • mdlowrance
    mdlowrance Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don’t remember how much we paid- but I love our Sole F80.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My advice is to get the guarantee .
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I got a gold's gym from Walmart. I think it was $400??? It goes up to 10%incline and over 8mph...it also has a place to plug in your mp3 player with speakers
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to check out sites like Let Go or CL. Lots of exercise equipment ends up on the used market after barely any use.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I was looking at replacing my home treadmill with one more robust (I beat the *kitten* out of mine starting at 330+ lbs). I found an AFG 5.7AT that goes on sale regularly for under $1K CDN and you program it with a tablet. So you are way more flexible with the program you run. I was going to buy it when I was doing C25K, but now I run outside so much more that it's not worth it to me but I might consider it again in the fall.

HEre is a link to it.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/afg-sport-5-7at-treadmill-0847866p.html#srp
  • llmg970
    llmg970 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I bought my treadmill online, quite a few years ago. It is a proform. I am lucky that my husband is handy with putting things together. I bought it with the intention of using the ifit system but never bought the accessories. proform and nordictrack I believe are made by the same people.
    I would go to Dicks and Sears and try out the models they had on display. yes I put my sneakers and tried them out, I would put the elevation up, down, spend about 5- 10 minutes on one that i thought i was interested in. I know it feels weird doing it but it is a huge investment. I wrote down the specifications and compared my prices from online to instore. I think the sales lady at Sears thought I was there for a free workout Think about not paying for the extra bells and whistles as sometimes you don't even use them. I could have saved a bunch of money if I did that. I do love my treadmill and still use it, but also go to the gym for weight lifting and other options of cardio equipment. I love that I started on my treadmill at home with no one watching me.

good luck.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    You might also keep an eye on Craigslist to look for a used one if money is an issue. A lot of people buy them but don't use them.

First congrats on the weight loss!

This is how my wife found our treadmill. I can't remember the exact model now, but we did some quick research and read reviews for it and it's a really good model. I think it retailed for like $900+ new and we got it barely used for $75.

Good luck!
  • borichfan1
    borichfan1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Look at Sears. I got my Treadmill & Elliptical both at Sears.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Garage sales and second hand fitness stores are a great place to look for used exercise equipment. As others have said, a lot of people barely use their treadmills/ellipticals/etc. before deciding they take up too much room and selling them. Facebook marketplace (or whatever it's called) is probably another place to look.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    Garage sales and second hand fitness stores are a great place to look for used exercise equipment. As others have said, a lot of people barely use their treadmills/ellipticals/etc. before deciding they take up too much room and selling them. Facebook marketplace (or whatever it's called) is probably another place to look.

and often times there really are mechanical issues w this type of equipment --- that does not show itself. my motto is always...cheap and factor in im taking it away for you. but in the end I go to the gym and bought new. too many lousy deals wrapped in sizzle.

• ccol4him
    ccol4him Posts: 79 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I got a used Proform. Someone who works with my brother was selling it. It was like new and I only spent a few hundred dollars to get it. It works great. You might also want to try Play It Again Sports Equipment stores if there's one in your area.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »

and often times there really are mechanical issues w this type of equipment --- that does not show itself. my motto is always...cheap and factor in im taking it away for you. but in the end I go to the gym and bought new. too many lousy deals wrapped in sizzle.
    ccol4him wrote: »
    I got a used Proform. Someone who works with my brother was selling it. It was like new and I only spent a few hundred dollars to get it. It works great. You might also want to try Play It Again Sports Equipment stores if there's one in your area.

For equipment with moving parts, I'd go with Play it again, because then you'll at least have a 30 or 60 day warranty of some sort.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm the neg about this. Most gym models cost several US$K. When you get one for sub US$1K, it isn't as smooth or solid. Sometimes the cheaper ones (with a less powerful motors) are OK for lighter people but most normal or heavier adults will notice the belt slowing down as they put weight on the belt, particularly while running. This causes the action to feel unnatural. Add to this the fact that the cheaper ones break more easily and you can see why it's worth spending a bit more.

Personally, I like Precor, but there are other good options in the US$2K range. Used is great, particularly if you are handy enough to fix small problems.

Best of luck!