Diet soda count towards water?

2»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    On the topic of logging diet soda, do those calories add up? I realize there are 0 calories per serving, but if I drank an entire 2 liter bottle of Diet Coke that would be a significant number of calories, wouldn’t it? I’ve had no luck trying to figure this out.

It might be as much as 25-40 calories for a 2 liter bottle. out of 1200-2000 daily calories that's not significant.

It's even less significant than low/zero cal foods like pickles and lettuce and cucumbers.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Soda makes you bloated. There may be a chance some people react to some ingredients in some things (not limited to soda). I have no bloating problems at all with soda.

It's interesting how everyone's skin clears up and bloating goes away whenever they do something they believe benefits them. It strikes me as odd. So far, people had clearer skin after: quitting sugar, quitting soda, quitting fast food, quitting meat, quitting carbs, quitting dairy, quitting artificial sweeteners, going vegan, going meat based, fasting, drinking ACV, drinking green tea, drinking homeopathic water, taking epsom salt baths, taking probiotics, and I could go on forever. I wish my skin and bloating were that responsive to whatever I convince myself is good for me. I've experimented with quite a few things in my dieting and never noticed any difference in my skin. Perhaps I should start drinking ACV and lemon.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2018
    On the topic of logging diet soda, do those calories add up? I realize there are 0 calories per serving, but if I drank an entire 2 liter bottle of Diet Coke that would be a significant number of calories, wouldn’t it? I’ve had no luck trying to figure this out.

There is something like 3 calories in a 12 oz can of soda. A liter is ~32oz so 2 liters is 64oz which is the equivalent of ~5 cans of soda. So 2 liters would have something like 15 calories in it. That is the equivalent of like two almonds. I wouldn't call that "significant".

Of all the things you eat and drink you could be paying attention to for weight loss I'd say diet soda is likely the least important.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Just my opinion, although I hope you heed my advice (warning?) but of course the choice is always up to you...

Soda- even diet soda- is bad for you. It's not water. It might have water in it, but it's not straight-up, good-for-you, pure water. Your body NEEDS pure water. My suggestion (take it or leave it) is to ditch soda and drink good old fashioned water. Your body will thank you. If you don't believe me, try it for one week and see how you feel.

Why I say this:
    Soda is just horrible for your health, even diet soda. Soda has TONS of sweeteners in it (corn syrup, sugar in regular soda, and artificial sweeteners in "diet"). One can of regular coke contains 39 grams of sugar. The American Heart Association recommends limiting sugar intake to 37.5 grams a day for men, 25 grams a day for women. So one can of coke puts you over your limit for sugar for the day (and that's if you have NOTHING ELSE for that day, carbs included!) This puts you at greater risk for disease and does damage to your body. Need I mention it's a vicious cycle: sugar makes you crave more sugar.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp#.WrpaINUrK70

Soda is bad for you, and anyone who tells you otherwise is selling you something- literally!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/11/opinion/sugar-industry-health.html

There have been so many documentaries and studies done to prove just how bad sugar and processed foods are for your body, soda being one of the worst culprits. I recommend watching any of the following documentaries:

SuperSize Me (*if you watch nothing else, at least try to watch this one.... you would be amazed!)
    Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
    Fed Up (one of my favorites!)
    Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change
    Food Matters
    Vegucated

While I'm not saying that you should become a vegetarian or whatnot (unless you want to), the point to all these documentaries is how much sugar is in processed foods- especially soda- and the horrible things it does to your body.

And I'm living proof of this:
    Before I began my weight loss journey, I would go through TWO cases of regular soda PER WEEK!!! NOT GOOD!!!
    I was morbidly obese, weighed a whopping 355 pounds, constantly exhausted and sick all the time (I would get the flu every six months like clockwork!) and in/out of doctors' offices because of various ailments. Soda was one of the worst of my bad habits, not to mention the junk food that came along with it and then not exercising on top of it all. When I decided to lose weight, the first thing that went was soda. I phased it out slowly- first by replacing it with a healthier alternative at dinner (something like milk, unsweetened iced tea, water or seltzer if I *really* needed something carbonated). After a while I craved it less and less and within a month, I no longer wanted it. My skin cleared up, my bloating went away, my stomach cramps and nausea went away, I had more energy and less sugar cravings. I also lost about 25 pounds in those first couple of weeks because soda makes you bloated.

(https://www.livestrong.com/article/413719-does-diet-soda-cause-bloating-water-weight-gain/)

This is a very long-winded response for which I apologize, but this is a topic I feel strongly about because of personal experience and the knowledge I have gained from it. I implore and encourage you to cut soda from your life, or at least cut back- for your health.

Again, the choice is yours.

Yes, calories from regular soda are bad. Drinking unnecessary calories is bad.

Spreading FUD and misinformation about artificial sweeteners and conflating diet and regular soda is also bad.

Start here
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I knew we would have to link back to that thread again.

So sad that this scaremongering keeps coming up again and again. It's is so sad that basic science isn't enough to counter the crap in social media these days. We have access to all sorts of good information, but it gets drowned out by crap sources.

Sigh.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Just my opinion, although I hope you heed my advice (warning?) but of course the choice is always up to you...

Soda- even diet soda- is bad for you. It's not water. It might have water in it, but it's not straight-up, good-for-you, pure water. Your body NEEDS pure water. My suggestion (take it or leave it) is to ditch soda and drink good old fashioned water. Your body will thank you. If you don't believe me, try it for one week and see how you feel.

Why I say this:
    Soda is just horrible for your health, even diet soda. Soda has TONS of sweeteners in it (corn syrup, sugar in regular soda, and artificial sweeteners in "diet"). One can of regular coke contains 39 grams of sugar. The American Heart Association recommends limiting sugar intake to 37.5 grams a day for men, 25 grams a day for women. So one can of coke puts you over your limit for sugar for the day (and that's if you have NOTHING ELSE for that day, carbs included!) This puts you at greater risk for disease and does damage to your body. Need I mention it's a vicious cycle: sugar makes you crave more sugar.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp#.WrpaINUrK70

Soda is bad for you, and anyone who tells you otherwise is selling you something- literally!

There have been so many documentaries and studies done to prove just how bad sugar and processed foods are for your body, soda being one of the worst culprits. I recommend watching any of the following documentaries:

SuperSize Me (*if you watch nothing else, at least try to watch this one.... you would be amazed!)
    Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change
    Food Matters
    Vegucated

While I'm not saying that you should become a vegetarian or whatnot (unless you want to), the point to all these documentaries is how much sugar is in processed foods- especially soda- and the horrible things it does to your body.

Before I began my weight loss journey, I would go through TWO cases of regular soda PER WEEK!!! NOT GOOD!!!
    I was morbidly obese, weighed a whopping 355 pounds, constantly exhausted and sick all the time (I would get the flu every six months like clockwork!) and in/out of doctors' offices because of various ailments. Soda was one of the worst of my bad habits, not to mention the junk food that came along with it and then not exercising on top of it all. When I decided to lose weight, the first thing that went was soda. I phased it out slowly- first by replacing it with a healthier alternative at dinner (something like milk, unsweetened iced tea, water or seltzer if I *really* needed something carbonated). After a while I craved it less and less and within a month, I no longer wanted it. My skin cleared up, my bloating went away, my stomach cramps and nausea went away, I had more energy and less sugar cravings. I also lost about 25 pounds in those first couple of weeks because soda makes you bloated.

(https://www.livestrong.com/article/413719-does-diet-soda-cause-bloating-water-weight-gain/)

This is a very long-winded response for which I apologize, but this is a topic I feel strongly about because of personal experience and the knowledge I have gained from it. I implore and encourage you to cut soda from your life, or at least cut back- for your health.

You lost 25 pounds in the first couple of weeks because you weighed 355lbs.
    Talk to just about anyone who started out morbidly obese, and regardless of the means, they lost a significant amount of weight in the first month. I lost 20 at 270 in the first month just by paying attention to what I ate. I didn't even change anything but the amount.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

Why I say this:

Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change
    Food Matters
    Vegucated

I was morbidly obese, weighed a whopping 355 pounds, constantly exhausted and sick all the time (I would get the flu every six months like clockwork!) and in/out of doctors' offices because of various ailments. Soda was one of the worst of my bad habits, not to mention the junk food that came along with it and then not exercising on top of it all.
    When I decided to lose weight, the first thing that went was soda. I phased it out slowly- first by replacing it with a healthier alternative at dinner (something like milk, unsweetened iced tea, water or seltzer if I *really* needed something carbonated). After a while I craved it less and less and within a month, I no longer wanted it. My skin cleared up, my bloating went away, my stomach cramps and nausea went away, I had more energy and less sugar cravings. I also lost about 25 pounds in those first couple of weeks because soda makes you bloated.

So ignoring all the fearmongering and woo about fake Netflix 'documentaries' (of which all the ones listed are biased, agenda-driven, pseudoscientific hack jobs), the takeaway points from the above post are:

1) Obesity is bad for your health and can manifest itself in various symptoms/ailments.

2) Context and dosage matter in your diet.

Nobody in this thread, or in any thread ever about soda/sugar intake, has ever advocated/defended that level of intake or claimed that it was healthy. Two cases of soda per week is a ridiculously high level of consumption - both calorie-wise and also in the amount of sugar. That's 7-8 sodas per day, every day. Top that off with a steady diet of junk food and morbid obesity, and it doesn't take a genius to predict the outcome.

It's easy to formulate an argument against almost anything by taking it to ridiculous levels and then saying that if two cases per week of soda is bad, drinking an occasional soda must be bad too, because soda. That's not how it works.

You can die from drinking too much water at once. So using the above context, one could take the position that water is bad for you too and you should cut it entirely out of your diet.
  • stanmann571
    1houndgal wrote: »
    __leis__ wrote: »
    I’m a Diet Coke addict. I don’t understand how diet soda can count as water. When I drink it it makes me sooo dehydrated, I suppose if you drank seven glasses of water and one 12 oz can of soda you could count it as water. Definitely not the other way around though.

How about caffeine free diet coke? Caffeine is a diuretic.

Not really. As in Caffeine containing beverages have about a 3-5% greater diuretic effect than drinking plain water.

YOU did know that water is a very effective diuretic.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited March 2018

Why I say this:

Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change
    Food Matters
    Vegucated

Your body needs water with dissolved ions in it. If you drank "pure" denionized water and only pure deionized water that would actually be bad for you.

Soda is not "horrible for your health" at all. The information you are getting is apparently from Netflix documentaries which is a horrible source for information, you must realize that those have an agenda and are extremely biased and often factually wrong. There is zero processed sugar in diet soda. You were not morbidly obese because you drank diet soda.

As for your personal experience it sounds like you decided to stop drinking soda at the same time you were deciding to lose weight which I assume involved caloric restriction and exercise and a bunch of other changes to your routinue. But yet you assume the only change that mattered was that you stopped drinking soda? Could it be that caloric restriction had something to do with your improved health?
  • AnvilHead
    edited March 2018
    I’m a Diet Coke addict. I don’t understand how diet soda can count as water. When I drink it it makes me sooo dehydrated, I suppose if you drank seven glasses of water and one 12 oz can of soda you could count it as water. Definitely not the other way around though.

Not so much.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618
    Abstract
    Recreational enthusiasts and athletes often are advised to abstain from consuming caffeinated beverages (CB). The dual purposes of this review are to (a) critique controlled investigations regarding the effects of caffeine on dehydration and exercise performance, and (b) ascertain whether abstaining from CB is scientifically and physiologically justifiable. The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health. Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume. In the 10 studies reviewed, consumption of a CB resulted in 0-84% retention of the initial volume ingested, whereas consumption of water resulted in 0-81% retention. Further, tolerance to caffeine reduces the likelihood that a detrimental fluid-electrolyte imbalance will occur. The scientific literature suggests that athletes and recreational enthusiasts will not incur detrimental fluid-electrolyte imbalances if they consume CB in moderation and eat a typical U.S. diet. Sedentary members of the general public should be a less risk than athletes because their fluid losses via sweating are smaller.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577
    Abstract
    Caffeine is the most commonly consumed drug in the world, and athletes frequently use it as an ergogenic aid. It improves performance and endurance during prolonged, exhaustive exercise. To a lesser degree it also enhances short-term, high-intensity athletic performance. Caffeine improves concentration, reduces fatigue, and enhances alertness. Habitual intake does not diminish caffeine's ergogenic properties. Several mechanisms have been proposed to explain the physiologic effects of caffeine, but adenosine receptor antagonism most likely accounts for the primary mode of action. It is relatively safe and has no known negative performance effects, nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise. Routine caffeine consumption may cause tolerance or dependence, and abrupt discontinuation produces irritability, mood shifts, headache, drowsiness, or fatigue. Major sport governing bodies ban excessive use of caffeine, but current monitoring techniques are inadequate, and ethical dilemmas persist regarding caffeine intake by athletes.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Why I say this:

Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change
    Food Matters
    Vegucated

Your body needs water with dissolved ions in it. If you drank "pure" denionized water and only pure deionized water that would actually be bad for you.

Soda is not "horrible for your health" at all. The information you are getting is apparently from Netflix documentaries which is a horrible source for information, you must realize that those have an agenda and are extremely biased and often factually wrong. You were not morbidly obese because you drank soda.

As for your personal experience it sounds like you decided to stop drinking soda at the same time you were deciding to lose weight which I assume involved caloric restriction and exercise and a bunch of other changes to your routinue. But yet you assume the only change that mattered was that you stopped drinking soda?

To be fair, she did stop drinking A LOT of soda. If she replaced that with water, it would have a pretty big impact on weight loss. Speaking as someone who drank 4-5 2L bottles a week.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited March 2018

Why I say this:

Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change
    Food Matters
    Vegucated

Soda is not "horrible for your health" at all. The information you are getting is apparently from Netflix documentaries which is a horrible source for information, you must realize that those have an agenda and are extremely biased and often factually wrong. You were not morbidly obese because you drank soda.

As for your personal experience it sounds like you decided to stop drinking soda at the same time you were deciding to lose weight which I assume involved caloric restriction and exercise and a bunch of other changes to your routinue. But yet you assume the only change that mattered was that you stopped drinking soda?

To be fair, she did stop drinking A LOT of soda. If she replaced that with water, it would have a pretty big impact on weight loss. Speaking as someone who drank 4-5 2L bottles a week.

Corrected my post to say she wasn't obese because she was drinking diet soda which is the topic of this thread. If she was drinking non-diet soda then yes that could impact her weight, but why bother to say that on a thread asking about diet soda?

Obviously if you are packing away liters of full sugar soda that will definately add to your calories in a way that could have your weight increase substantially.

I would agree that full sugar soda is high-calorie/low nutrition and unneccessary in your diet and can often lead to issues with getting enough satiety without overeating on calories. But those issues have nothing to do with diet soda.
  • AnvilHead
    edited March 2018

Why I say this:

Forks Over Knives
    Hungry For Change
    Food Matters
    Vegucated

Which goes to show that calories matter. Not that sugar is teh devilz and that soda is some kind of deathly poison.

7-8 cans of soda per day is an extra 980-1120 calories per day. So yeah, cutting around 1000-1100 calories per day of soda out of your diet would have a very significant effect upon caloric intake and thus, upon weight loss (assuming that it wasn't substituted with something of equivalent calories). I don't think that's earth-shaking news to anybody here.
  • stanmann571
    AnvilHead wrote: »

And the misinformation train continues.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577

Thanks.
    Abstract
    Recreational enthusiasts and athletes often are advised to abstain from consuming caffeinated beverages (CB). The dual purposes of this review are to (a) critique controlled investigations regarding the effects of caffeine on dehydration and exercise performance, and (b) ascertain whether abstaining from CB is scientifically and physiologically justifiable. The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health. Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume. In the 10 studies reviewed, consumption of a CB resulted in 0-84% retention of the initial volume ingested, whereas consumption of water resulted in 0-81% retention. Further, tolerance to caffeine reduces the likelihood that a detrimental fluid-electrolyte imbalance will occur. The scientific literature suggests that athletes and recreational enthusiasts will not incur detrimental fluid-electrolyte imbalances if they consume CB in moderation and eat a typical U.S. diet. Sedentary members of the general public should be a less risk than athletes because their fluid losses via sweating are smaller.
    I was too lazy to dig up the reference supporting the 3-5% variance between CB and water.