Unhealthy/Gross foods growing up

The sugar post currently on the front page got me thinking it could be fun to start a new thread to share all the unhealthy and gross foods you had as a kid, that you now look back and shake your head at (or still have as an indulgence, we're not here to judge lol). I'm sure this has been done before, but it's still fun to share...

We had "bread and butter" with spaghetti which was just a slice of untoasted wonder/white bread with a generous slather of butter on top. It was my favorite meal as a kid just for that bread lol I know this isn't very far from garlic bread/toast, but the thought of just plain untoasted white bread makes me want to gag!

My Mimi would make me sugar grapes, which was just regular grapes wetted and rolled in sugar, as if they aren't sweet enough already lol. But it was "our thing" and I always asked her to make them for me when we would go visit.

Mine are pretty tame haha

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    My mum was a terrible cook. We grew up on things like Turkey twizzlers and chips, chicken Kiev and chips, chicken nuggets and chips (noticing a theme yet?)

Her other thing to do as we were active kids and went to dance class straight from school were sugar sandwiches (white bread, thick butter and sugar folded in half) or hot cross bun filled with butter, jam and thickly cut cheddar cheese to eat in the car on the way
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Bread and butter with spaghetti here too!

Rice cereal: hot white rice loaded with condensed milk, butter and sugar. My neighbors used to give me grape jelly and American cheese on white bread sandwiches. Fried spam, bologna, or Vienna sausages. Park's pork roll sausage sandwiches where the meat was so greasy the bread melted onto the patty. :s
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited March 2018
    I used to not eat egg whites. My mom would soft-boil my eggs, then I'd carefully eat the runny yolk with little rectangles of toast, avoiding the egg white like the plague.

Now I enjoy eggs in all forms - including the whites!

As a kid, I'd also only eat my McDonald's hamburgers with just buns and the patty. Nothing else on it. How bland can you get.
  • af240
    af240 Posts: 37 Member
    af240 wrote: »
    We had "bread and butter" with spaghetti which was just a slice of untoasted wonder/white bread with a generous slather of butter on top. It was my favorite meal as a kid just for that bread lol I know this isn't very far from garlic bread/toast, but the thought of just plain untoasted white bread makes me want to gag!

Haha! Yes, we had the same thing. We'd also make spaghetti sandwiches (spaghetti with meat sauce on white bread, sometimes with a slice of american cheese)-- I guess in a effort to make spaghetti as unhealthy as possible. I don't think it's gross though. I still do it (very, very) rarely as an adult, for the nostalgia.

That just reminded me of fried spaghetti sandwiches!! My mom would take left over spaghetti with the noodles and sauced mixed, and fry it with oil in a pan so there'd be crispy bits throughout, and have it open faced on toast. Sooooo good!
  • af240
    af240 Posts: 37 Member
    Maybe less healthy a raw egg yolk and 3tbsp sugar beaten fluffy with an espresso (I'm 5 at this point mindyou) and then dipped yesterday's dinner bread. Also still eat it because it's delicious but the macros are brutal

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this probably tastes better than it sounds, but yeesh this sounds horrendous!! hahah

It's one of the main ingredients mixed with mascarpone of a tiramisu; it's not that bad! haha

It actually makes a lot more sense when you put it that way. At face value it sounded more strange lol
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Maybe less healthy a raw egg yolk and 3tbsp sugar beaten fluffy with an espresso (I'm 5 at this point mindyou) and then dipped yesterday's dinner bread. Also still eat it because it's delicious but the macros are brutal

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this probably tastes better than it sounds, but yeesh this sounds horrendous!! hahah

It's one of the main ingredients mixed with mascarpone of a tiramisu; it's not that bad! haha

It actually makes a lot more sense when you put it that way. At face value it sounded more strange lol

I saw a YT video about egg coffee recently, I want to say it's a Vietnamese thing according to the video?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited March 2018

I saw a YT video about egg coffee recently, I want to say it's a Vietnamese thing according to the video?

It's really just a shot of espresso in the egg mixture to flavour it (cause the 3tbs of sugar just isn't enough lol) It's more of a thick dessert you eat with a spoon or old bread not really "drinkable" like that Vietnamese coffee.

http://www.misya.info/ricetta/zabaione.htm
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 330 Member
    Rice cereal: hot white rice loaded with condensed milk, butter and sugar. My neighbors used to give me grape jelly and American cheese on white bread sandwiches. Fried spam, bologna, or Vienna sausages.

Yep, on all of this. My dad still likes the jelly and cheese sandwiches. I don't understand it at all!!
  • kschildroth
    kschildroth Posts: 570 Member
    I remember eating mayo and cheese sandwiches as a child. I want to vomit just thinking about eating that now. :s
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2018
    Not sure what the issue is with white bread & butter... my mom used to have to have a small piece with *every single meal*. It's my 12 year old son's favorite thing too. :)

Now, you want to talk gross- my mom often made a can of corned beef hash with a poached egg over it. I had to sit at the table until I ate ("enough") of my dinner, and on hash nights, I just planned on a long night at the table ;)
  • MzNeecie
    MzNeecie Posts: 107 Member
    I loved sugar as a kid (and still its my weakness in adulthood) but as a kid I made syrup sandwiches which is exactly what it sounds like plain untoasted bread with lots of syrup. so good then I would toss my cookies if I ate that now though lol. I also remember eating Doritos and plain Philadelphia cream cheese together sounded nasty but was actually really good. haven't done it in years so not sure if I would now.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Also into the plain white bread with too much butter. And my dad would spend hours making red sauce with loaded with veggies from the garden and meatballs for pasta, then get super mad because I wouldn't eat it and just eat buttered noodles with garlic salt.

When I stayed at my grandparent's, one of our regular snacks was microwaved pepperoni slices on plain white bread or fried bologna sandwiches. Odd, as they were both good cooks and normally healthy eaters. I think it started as something fast my grandfather could make after getting out of the mines late at night.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I remember the white bread slathered in margarine along with spaghetti or ravioli. Horrors! haha

A lot of mine are just horrific to me now, but none of them are really that notable or disgusting. We went out a lot to Pizza Hut and always got bread sticks before our pizza, and never salad. My mom wasn't a bad cook but she took a lot of shortcuts and didn't do many veggies. The vegetables she did cook, I didn't like because they were very overcooked, especially carrots with roast & potatoes...the carrots were the texture of chewing gum and tasted horrible, lol.

As a kid and teen, so many meals ended with a Little Debbie snack cake. I especially liked the zebra ones and Swiss cake rolls, or peanut butter bars. Even at school (grades 6-12) I remember them selling Little Debbie oatmeal crème pies, Star Crunch & fudge rounds like crazy and everyone would eat those for lunch...so many snack cakes. I always thought of them as "real food" and not "candy" so on some level, I imagined them being lower calorie than a Snickers or Twix and now I know that wasn't necessarily the case at all - especially if I had a couple of them or an XL one.