Keto - newbie stalling

Options
Hi guys,
I started Keto one week ago and have been loving it! The first week I dropped 7 lbs and never had any hunger or cravings or Keto flu. I was over the moon! Then, when I weighed myself yesterday (Day 8), I was the same as the day before (I know I need to stop weighing daily but it was great motivation to see the scale going down a pound a day!), and today (Day 9), I am up 2 lbs!

There are 2 things that are different:
1. I've been drinking more crystal light and coffee with splenda than I did the first few days
2. (Sorry men) I have my period.

I've been vigilant about my food, and have actually been about 100 calories under my goal most days. My test strips still say moderate ketosis.

My history with diets/weight loss is that I do great the first week or 2 and then I stall out. So now I'm freaking out that I'm going to see the same thing on Keto...Does anyone have any advice here, I'm struggling.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You didn't expect to keep on losing 1lb a day! Initially a lot of weight loss is water weight which is why it seems quick to begin with, but it'll settle down to 1 or 2lbs A WEEK. You need to be more realistic in your expectations.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You should be expecting to lose 1-2 lbs per week. That first week involved an initial water weight drop typical of low carb diets.

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you'll lose more than expected, some weeks less, some you might even gain. That doesn't mean you did anything different or wrong, that's just real life.

It's fine to weigh every day if you can remove emotion from the equation and look at each day's number as a data point. The goal is to see those numbers go down over the long term, understanding that in the short term they'll bounce around like a roller coaster. There's lots of stuff in your body other than fat, and that stuff fluctuates day to day.

Log accurately and consistently, adjust your expectations a bit, and be patient. Good luck!
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I’ve been doing keto for the last few months and have settled into a pattern of losing nothing (or gaining up to a pound) for a week or two at a time, then losing 2-3 pounds over the course of the next few days. It sucks to go from wildly fast weight loss to absolutely none for no reason. Sometimes it’s really discouraging to wake up and see that I’m STILL stuck half a pound over my lowest weight ten days later, but the one thing I know WON’T help is consoling myself with Oreos.

You’re down five pounds in nine days. That’s insane. It’s amazing. Settle in for the long haul.