Poor deadlifting hands

Options

Replies

• BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    Heaviest ever at 30kg..please don't laugh :D

Felt great but hard on the hands, what are straps used for or should I go for gloves?

I prefer hook grip (hence my profile picture), but it's not easy to master it, because it usually *kitten* hurts in the first 2-3 weeks (people initially give up on them because of the pain), but once your thumb gets used to the pain, it becomes easier and straps becomes obsolete. If pain scares you, you can go for gloves or straps....I prefer that old school method.

A friend of mine powerlifts and gave me this pointer the other day..she said it takes time to get used to but I am finding it is helping me and I hope to no longer rely on mixed-grip and chalk.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hey! I can relate. The longer you do it, your grip will improve. Keep at it. I started lifting a year ago with similar weight and now my grip is significantly stronger. Good luck!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »
    There's no law against using straps. Straps are useful at times.

Deadlifts are not one of them IMO.

Hanging on to the bar is a key element of the deadlift. Your grip will not develop using straps.

Using assistance equipment does allow you to lift more weight but what does it mean if you can't lift the weight without wearing the equipment? What is the reality of benching 200lbs more by wearing a bench shirt?

What is the reality of deadlifting 500lbs if you have to wear straps to do it? The reality is you can't lift it.

But you say...I am not training for a competition, why shouldn't I use straps? Well, why bother wearing straps at all? Why bother? Just lift the darn weight as best you can by yourself. If you can't hold on to it you just aren't strong enough...yet. By not using straps, someday you just might BE strong enough to lift it.

If you can't lift it by yourself, you can't lift it. Period.

And how will you develop a grip strong enough to deadlift what you want if you always use straps?

Tearing a bicep using a mixed grip is similar to tearing a pec doing bench presses. Both these injuries just about always only occur with steroid users, whose muscles by their almost miraculous speedy development, exceed in strength the tissues that hold them together.

Have no fear of tearing your bicep doing deadlifts.

If your hands are too weak to hold on to the bar doing deadlifts, they won't get strong enough to do it if you use straps.

Anyway, do whatever you want. Just my two cents.

Nonsense.

Yes - that was complete utter nonsense.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Some people have a fetish for bringing up people on gear. I highly doubt many on these forums would use PEDs. Those people tend to go to a more hardcore site.

I at one time was anti strap. Now I just see it as another tool. I hold out as long as I can but on nearly every pulling workout I use them. I can still deadlift 525 for a single so it is not limiting me. What would limit me is not getting in my volume because of grip fatigue.

In terms of injury I don’t think anyone pulling less than 600 needs to worry much about a bicep tear from mixed grip. Even those over 600 only have a small chance. Yes it happens but your more likely to get hit by a car walking on street (purely a guess).

Oh and plenty of drug tested athletes pull over 6 plates before more BS steroid crap is spewed.

Edit: on gloves I don’t like them. I guess partly an ego thing that I wear my calluses with pride. More importantly I have yet to see better grip than just chalk or straps if fatigued.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    The criss cross grip is evil! Am I going to look like a loon using liquid chalk for a measly 30kg for 3 sets :s

I don't lift real heavy and I use the liquid grip. My hands sweat bad though and it helps with that more. I don't care what I look like. I am going to use what helps me more.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    BNY721 wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    Heaviest ever at 30kg..please don't laugh :D

Felt great but hard on the hands, what are straps used for or should I go for gloves?

I prefer hook grip (hence my profile picture), but it's not easy to master it, because it usually *kitten* hurts in the first 2-3 weeks (people initially give up on them because of the pain), but once your thumb gets used to the pain, it becomes easier and straps becomes obsolete. If pain scares you, you can go for gloves or straps....I prefer that old school method.

A friend of mine powerlifts and gave me this pointer the other day..she said it takes time to get used to but I am finding it is helping me and I hope to no longer rely on mixed-grip and chalk.

It took me 2 months of doing RDL's with the hook grip to match my rdl weight when I was doing them with a mixed grip. Now I even surpass it.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about muscle imbalance using the mixed grip, just switch your hands around each set.

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    Some people have a fetish for bringing up people on gear. I highly doubt many on these forums would use PEDs. Those people tend to go to a more hardcore site.

I at one time was anti strap. Now I just see it as another tool. I hold out as long as I can but on nearly every pulling workout I use them. I can still deadlift 525 for a single so it is not limiting me. What would limit me is not getting in my volume because of grip fatigue.

In terms of injury I don’t think anyone pulling less than 600 needs to worry much about a bicep tear from mixed grip. Even those over 600 only have a small chance. Yes it happens but your more likely to get hit by a car walking on street (purely a guess).

Oh and plenty of drug tested athletes pull over 6 plates before more BS steroid crap is spewed.

Edit: on gloves I don’t like them. I guess partly an ego thing that I wear my calluses with pride. More importantly I have yet to see better grip than just chalk or straps if fatigued.

From personal experience of what I’ve seen over
    The years, most bicep injury’s come from not taking the slack out of the bar. Even from experienced lifters rushing their warm up sets.

I agree when done correctly bicep tears are
    Unlikely, I always mix grip anything over 500
    And have never had an issue, but I’m a stickler for good form especially on heavy compounds
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Bottom line... do what is comfortable for you. There will always be differing opinions.

Errr... yes there is! Never knew it would be so tricky
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Ok, calm down folks. I was just trying to be cheeky with the whole "blowing a bicep" thing. Like I said I pull mixed grip myself. (I have met a girl who tore hers pulling high 300's though.)
    Next time I will be sure to insert sarcasm font.. I was just poking fun at a poster who likes to speak in absolutes and point fingers for not being "natty".
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    No gloves or straps for me, just chalk. I start my sets using hook grip, then switch to mixed as I go heavier. The only thing that helped my grip was doing more deadlifts. Usually on my last rep, I will hold it for as l can. BTW my calluses are a badge of honor.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

Hanging on to the bar is a key element of the deadlift. Your grip will not develop using straps.

Using assistance equipment does allow you to lift more weight but what does it mean if you can't lift the weight without wearing the equipment? What is the reality of benching 200lbs more by wearing a bench shirt?

What is the reality of deadlifting 500lbs if you have to wear straps to do it? The reality is you can't lift it.

But you say...I am not training for a competition, why shouldn't I use straps? Well, why bother wearing straps at all? Why bother? Just lift the darn weight as best you can by yourself. If you can't hold on to it you just aren't strong enough...yet. By not using straps, someday you just might BE strong enough to lift it.

And how will you develop a grip strong enough to deadlift what you want if you always use straps?

Tearing a bicep using a mixed grip is similar to tearing a pec doing bench presses. Both these injuries just about always only occur with steroid users, whose muscles by their almost miraculous speedy development, exceed in strength the tissues that hold them together.

If your hands are too weak to hold on to the bar doing deadlifts, they won't get strong enough to do it if you use straps.

Tell you what.

Go and have a look at Stefi Cohen's instagram feed and then tell us this theory about not being able to lift it by yourself, you can't lift it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    OP, my recommendation would be chalk if you need it and keep lifting until your hands get tougher. I love my calluses, and even though my grip is still my weakest link, it's nice to see how lifting is strengthening my grip.

Re: torn muscles - it's not just steroid users and super heavy lifters who can damage muscles. I am older and diabetic and my connective tissue doesn't have as much blood flow as a result - it's very easy to get injured if I progress too quickly.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    What about shoulder injuries from mixed grip deadlift? Is this a concern? I hurt my shoulder in 2016 and not sure how..... wondering if my mixed grip deadlift was aggravating it (happened to be my left shoulder, same side as my supinated grip). I know, another witch hunt!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Tell you what.

Go and have a look at Stefi Cohen's instagram feed and then tell us this theory about not being able to lift it by yourself, you can't lift it.

I don't instagram.

If your grip gives out you can't lift it in the deadlift.

Period.

At the Arnold's, Stefi Cohen deadlifted 545 lbs at a body weight of 123lbs, which is over 4.4x her bodyweight.

She warmed up for that pull with a 500lbs triple.

This is regarded as one of the most impressive pound-for-pound lifting feats in the sport to date.

But she used straps so it means nothing?

You are literally clueless.

Meaningless? NO. Deadlift? Also no.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I use a pumice stone on my callus when I get out of the shower.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I suggest no gloves and only use straps when you're getting into heavy deads. Grip work is super important when you're working on deadlifts.
    I use straps when I get into 130+kg, but that is because previously doing gymnastics and pole vaulting and being a farmer strengthened my grips naturally