Gluten Free Necessity

Options
Would love to hear from individuals that are allergic to gluten and their weight lost journey! Or Grave's Decease patients and their weight loss journey.

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac and have been gluten free since 2005.
  • ashandkeals
    ashandkeals Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have Graves and Hashimotos! I am also allergic to dairy and wheat so I avoid those foods as much as possible!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    quebot wrote: »
    I have multiple autoimmune issues including celiac. It's really given me an unhealthy relationship with food. I struggle with hating it and I'm scared of it because of the level of illness I deal with when I accidentally eat the wrong thing. Along with that, I struggle staying active due to the pain, my energy levels, and frequent hospital stays. Logging is important for me, and I'm terrible at it. I find that if I don't log, I won't eat enough. I know this sounds super depressing, but I'm persistent and dedicated. And I just know I can overcome this.

I have a friend with Celiac disease. I watch her struggle. Not just with what to eat and not eat, that was a biggie, but also with the absorption of nutrients. You have my empathy.

I bought her gluten free cupcakes from Whole Foods (baked in a certified gluten-free facility) for her birthday one year. She cried. She tells me they were delicious.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos and a wheat allergy so I’m gluten free. It took getting used to and I gained weight initially since so many gluten free substitutes are actually higher in calories than the things they are replacing. I’m doing well now though and back in a healthy weight range
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am gluten free. When I first went gluten free I lost weight as I did not know what to eat. I do not eat many gluten free products as I do not like how they taste. Going out to eat can be challenging. Yo have to do a lot of label reading as things you think would not contain wheat do (soy sauce and other sauces) I feel so much better (wheat allergy) so it is worth it. I eat rice and potatoes for carbs.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    5 years going strong on a GF diet. It shouldn't affect your journey at all. If anything it helps it cause you start to gravitate towards more whole foods and less processed crap. Just stay away from the processed GF treats. I overdid it on those when I first found out I couldn't eat gluten anymore and I blew up quickly.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have SIBO (Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and I have been GF almost a year + even though I do cheat sometimes with things like Twizzlers and taking a bite of pizza (or two) I end up paying for it, but it’s worth it at the time. I made the mistake of trying to replace all the things I missed with GF versions not realizing a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from...Damn. I’m doing better everyday by saying, Do you really want that OR you just missing it? Hang in there!
  • NatureMadeBeauty
    NatureMadeBeauty Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Cool, add me if you like!
  • NatureMadeBeauty
    Options
    5 years going strong on a GF diet. It shouldn't affect your journey at all. If anything it helps it cause you start to gravitate towards more whole foods and less processed crap. Just stay away from the processed GF treats. I overdid it on those when I first found out I couldn't eat gluten anymore and I blew up quickly.

They are to expensive for my food budget learning to eat at home and prepare my GF food. I get starches from sweet potatoes, and white!
    Add me as a friend if you like to!
  • NatureMadeBeauty
    Options
    I have multiple autoimmune issues including celiac. It's really given me an unhealthy relationship with food. I struggle with hating it and I'm scared of it because of the level of illness I deal with when I accidentally eat the wrong thing. Along with that, I struggle staying active due to the pain, my energy levels, and frequent hospital stays. Logging is important for me, and I'm terrible at it. I find that if I don't log, I won't eat enough. I know this sounds super depressing, but I'm persistent and dedicated. And I just know I can overcome this.

I too have auto immune issues due to having graves disease. Food is our friend and like a good friendship it takes time to learn and incorporate into our lives and grow close. I'm a yogi and yoga it teaches do not be ashamed of seeking mental help when you need it. Have you reach out to a train professional for help with you mental blockage? Yoga you conquer your fears! I would recommend yoga ( of course I do to all anyway, since, I'm a yogi ) LOL
    If you would like add me as a friend I would love to have updates on your progress. I too had a metal illness with food. I was a emotional eater! It took me years to overcome this illness.
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I too have auto immune issues due to having graves disease. Food is our friend and like a good friendship it takes time to learn and incorporate into our lives and grow close. I'm a yogi and yoga it teaches do not be ashamed of seeking mental help when you need it. Have you reach out to a train professional for help with you mental blockage? Yoga you conquer your fears! I would recommend yoga ( of course I do to all anyway, since, I'm a yogi ) LOL
    If you would like add me as a friend I would love to have updates on your progress. I too had a metal illness with food. I was a emotional eater! It took me years to overcome this illness.

Yes. I've worked with lots of doctors, dieticians, therapists, etc. Honestly, I currently eat for fuel. I take it like medicine. But the joy is almost completely gone from eating for me. I miss a lot of staples I loved and the substitutes aren't adequate. I used to love food textures and that was a large appeal for me. I also simply don't have very much time to prepare or money for food since I'm a single mother of 4. It's frustrating. I live in the south and most southern cooking is just out of the question. Mfp helps a lot. It's been more helpful than anything else I've tried. It helps to keep me accountable and reminds me to eat even though I don't have much of an appetite or time for it. I've been on and off the gf wagon since 2009 (fell off during my divorce bc i couldn't afford to eat and was taking handouts), but got back on the wagon after being hospitalized. As far as how I feel about food. It doesn't really matter, I think. I eat, even though I'm anxious. I can't change my life circumstances and I just try to do my best. I was never an emotional eater. I just ate the food in front of me. I simply miss certain things about it.
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    HappyKat5 wrote: »
    I have SIBO (Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and I have been GF almost a year + even though I do cheat sometimes with things like Twizzlers and taking a bite of pizza (or two) I end up paying for it, but it’s worth it at the time. I made the mistake of trying to replace all the things I missed with GF versions not realizing a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from...Damn. I’m doing better everyday by saying, Do you really want that OR you just missing it? Hang in there!

@HappyKat5 I have SIBO, too. Been GF for 5 years. I never cheat with gluten or additive sugars, the consequences are too much for me. Do you follow a certain way of eating? I've followed SCD for a long time, but I am also a vegetarian, so it's been super challenging.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    DH is gluten free and at 6 feet tall just weighs in the 150s.
  • ahundtgolden
    ahundtgolden Posts: 3 Member
    Options

• HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    @VeggieGirlforLife It’s in my bio, but I have had my entire stomach, gallbladder, appendix and colon removed due to Gastroparesis and Colonic Inertia. I was doing okay but started to get bloated and really full. I was on a liquid diet but as I started to eat again, I started with I could eat (I’m low fiber) so I was eating things like goldfish crackers and saltines. Fast forward, I blew for a SIBO test because I was so bloated and distended and nauseous. I was on medication (antibiotics) for 2 weeks and told to start eating GF. I did and felt better, then I would take a chance and get sick again...so it’s been easier to make GF decisions. Since my diet is restricted anyways, sometimes, I don’t care and will eat a couple bites of pizza or a real piece of bread. I pay for it, but I feel like I’m being realistic. I don’t want to replace GF for real items all the time, but I have come a long ways. I just have to be creative a lot of times o:)