C25K advice?

Options
Hello all you wonderful fit people.

I've recently developed an interest in learning how to run/jog so I've decided to have a crack at the C25K app.

(Previously I would just go for long walks and then jog at sporadic intervals until I had to stop - which didn't take very long lol).

I feel like having something with a set plan would be pretty beneficial in order to try and improve hence trying this app.

I can see there's only 3 days of training per week. Should I be sticking to this or is it okay to do more? Do i need to have rest days in between? Can I go for walks on those rest days?

Is it okay if I also add an additional 10 minute jog at the end of each workout? The route that I take just means I have a bit more walking to do at the end and there's a track that I like to run through.

Clearly I'm a total noob - I need all the advice I can get. Pls halp!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    stick to the plan as is. if you find that w1d1 is too easy, advance a week. don't add extra running time to the plan, or its not following the plan.

walking on rest days is fine.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Stick to the plan, it is designed to stop you getting injured.

Cardio wise you'll feel like you can do more but your connective tissues and muscles need time to adapt.
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    stick to the plan as is. if you find that w1d1 is too easy, advance a week. don't add extra running time to the plan, or its not following the plan.

So is the plan to do one day on then one day off? It's not very specific on the app. Just that I have 3 days to do this week.
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea not to run back to back days at the beginning - your body needs rest time in between runs to rebuild. I wouldn't recommend running consecutive days until you complete the program - it'll help prevent injury. Every other day works fine.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I can see there's only 3 days of training per week. Should I be sticking to this or is it okay to do more? Do i need to have rest days in between?

Do something else on non running days; swim, cycle, resistance training.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I can see there's only 3 days of training per week. Should I be sticking to this or is it okay to do more? Do i need to have rest days in between?

^^This.

I ran 6 days a week when doing C25K, because I'd already been getting up and walking every day but Sunday. I would be better off with my running if I had picked up weights on the odd day instead. So jog one day, lift the next, repeat and take a day off.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think it’s designed to do 3 days a week with a day (or two) in between. I am doing the program but I only do it 2 days a week (so it will just take me longer than 8 weeks or however long it is) I would stick to the plan as is if you are not used to running. You may have the endurance to do a 10 min jog at the end but running can be hard on your knees and joints so I feel like it’s better to give them time to adapt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

So is the plan to do one day on then one day off? It's not very specific on the app. Just that I have 3 days to do this week.

Programs like these are designed to give you the most efficient results and avoid injury. Three days per week of the program is plenty for a beginner. You would run the program on non-consecutive days to allow for rest and recovery...improvements in fitness actually come with rest and recovery...the work is just the catalyst. Going off plan will hamper your progress and increase the risk of injury. Believe me, as a noob, you're going to feel it so you're going to want that recovery time.

Walking on off days is just fine and will be beneficial...you could also do some easy cycling or something. I'd recommend incorporating resistance training at some point as well. I did C25K years ago when I was just getting back into fitness...I would typically do my runs and do some calisthenics afterwards and walk on my off days. I eventually joined the gym to get back into the weight room, but I didn't want to rush things too much when I was first getting started and C25K was pretty hard on me, but my fitness eventually improved to the point that I could run regularly and lift weights and still get adequate recovery.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Yes, You should not run on consecutive days.

As long as you do not run consecutive days, you can run the 27 day program in 7 or 8 or 9 or 10 weeks. 7 and a half weeks is the fastest you can finish while following the protocol.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Stick to the plan, it is designed to stop you getting injured.

Cardio wise you'll feel like you can do more but your connective tissues and muscles need time to adapt.
    Sliedur wrote: »
    It's a good idea not to run back to back days at the beginning - your body needs rest time in between runs to rebuild. I wouldn't recommend running consecutive days until you complete the program - it'll help prevent injury. Every other day works fine.

These people are very wise.

I did too much the first time I did C25K and ended up with runner's knee and sidelined myself for weeks. Just take it easy and do NOT run on consecutive days. Do something else like posted above.

And get good running shoes! They are worth every penny! Go to a running store and get fitted if you can, you'll thank me later when you are doing 20-30 minutes non-stop...

Good luck!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Let me add to the chorus. I did the program in 2015 and I'm still running, getting a bit better over time. It has been great!

If you can already do a comfortable 10min jog, you don't need this program. (At least not the first 4 weeks of it, which build up to a 10min run.) This is a program for non-runners to slowly build up to a 5k, and, at least for me, it was enough of a challenge as-is. (You could add some walking at the end without a problem.)

I had a few setbacks along the way with one thing or another getting sore. I took a couple of weeks off, doing the elliptical trainer, swimming, cycling, etc. For me, the most important thing was to go slowly but consistently, not skipping days unless there was a real problem. If you are having difficulty with a workout, you can drop back to an earlier one (I did that a lot).

I used the Zen labs app. There are a bunch of them out there. They follow this plan to some degree or another:

korhw2uoelcf.jpg
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Awesome thank you all so much for the advice! This is super helpful. :)
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Definitely take the rest days to help your muscles repair themselves between workouts. Get fitted for new shoes at a running store, too. I used to get shin splints years ago from running. It took forever to heal up from those. When I was properly fitted for shoes, I didn't get shin splints or sore knees or aching hips. And by the way, I love the Couch to 5K program! If you find mid-way through that it's difficult to finish a workout, it's okay to repeat a week, then resume the normal progression. Enjoy!