Losing motivation? Weird issues?

2»

Replies

• dovnkels
    dovnkels Posts: 25 Member
    I just wanted to give you some encouragement and say 'congratulations' on your weight loss. I am introverted and understand the social awkwardness.
    If you can afford it, you may try seeing a personal trainer once a week. They can offer a fresh perspective, spark motivation, and if you find the right one, can help you work out some of the other stuff.
    If you have a YMCA, this can be a great place to find a trainer on a sliding financial scale.
    Don't give up!!!
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    I have kind of struggled with this myself - not that I have lost as much as you have - but I think everyone at some point gets bored with the weight loss struggle. I think a diet break is a great idea, if you think you can get back on the wagon after the two weeks anyway. My solution was to join a new gym - with new classes and a pool where I can do new activities. Hopefully I will meet some new people in the process. I really have been debating going to a local bar that has line dance lessons, great new activity and a way to meet people, but I am not super comfortable getting out by myself. Sometimes we have to do scary things to point our lives in a new direction.

Lastly - did you celebrate your 110 pound loss or do you just look at how much more you want to lose. I think sometimes we forget to pat ourselves on the back for a job well done. You have already made significant changes to your health in the long run, even if you never lose another pound. Don't forget where you came from.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    A change in routine might be beneficial. Try hiking or joining a club, or switch up your exercise routine. It's not uncommon to get bogged down in the middle of any long process, and switching things up might be just enough to get you over the hump.

Oh, and if you can, tell your grandmother as politely as possible to stuff it.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Honestly sounds to me like you need to break things up. New exercises, new activity.

You should try and find activity GROUPS. A sport, a hiking group, swimming group, etc. Purposely find all inclusive groups so you could meet the ladies. Meeting someone with similar hobbies and goals that you have (weight loss, body healthy, body positivity) is fantastic for finding potential partners.

What you're feeling at the gym, people feel in all sorts of situations. When work starts feeling like that, most people try to find new jobs or advancement.

Stop looking back. Look forward. Cliche I know, but true. There is literally nothing to be gained from blaming yourself and thinking of why/how you gained the weight in the first place, especially since you're on a path that is doing good.
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    I think you have done a great job so far. I am watching my son go through this same thing--he has decided to lose weight and get back into activities he enjoys. In college he put on about 80 pounds, now he wants to get healthier and eventually get married. But it's hard for him to relate to people face to face because when he got heavy he was mostly socializing via internet. His solution was to join a team that does their activity together (it's this combat with foam 'weapons' thing!! not sure what to call it...) Anyway, my advice is the same as some others here: find a team or group you can be part of. It will provide new faces and friends, motivation and support. Best of luck and keep up the good work!
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Well done so far, that's a lot of weight lost! You seem to have a lot of small issues going on that added togeather are starting to get overwhelming. I would write them down in a list then make several strategies for dealing with each one, when you find something that works for one issue you can cross it off. For example you say your friends have left the gym and you feel like the fat guy again, so try something new where there is a chance to meet different people and where everyone will just look at you as a new guy, maybe a different gym but may be better doing something like martial arts or dancing where you will be expected to be clumsy and uncoordinated to start but will soon see an improvement, also these type of activities give you a bit more interaction which will help with motivation. I took a diet break for a whole year before I was ready to start losing again, during this year I ate at mantanance and worked on fitness and strength now I've started to lose again but kept up the fitness routine so hoping to lose a decent amount this year but the exact numbers are not important, I know I'm a lot healthier than 5 years ago and I'm proud of myself both for weight and fitness and you should be proud of yourself aswell.
  • apennock
    apennock Posts: 49 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss. Something that jumped out at me was you saying that you were waiting to live a full life until after you reached your weight loss goal. Your life is happening now, and you are worth living it right now to the fullest, whatever that means to you. Being thinner will not magically solve the other problems in your life, they will be waiting for you no matter what weight you are at. Weight loss is not a magic bullet in that respect.

Good luck!