Calories in a Plain Pizzeria Slice

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Probably very similar to a Costco pie. Which I believe is 16 inches and 6 slices

I don't know if Costco pies differ by region but NY/NJ style pies are usually thinner/crisper crust and lighter on all sauce/cheese/toppings. In terms of volume, Costco slices are double or more the size of a generic NJ/NY style pizzeria slice.

NJ/NY pizzeria style is more this:

5a6wzh6ykxa3.jpg

Than this:

mwn8scw28pfc.jpg

Your NY/NJ picture is a 12 inch pie. The Costco slice is a 16 inch.

The pizza in this article looks more like the Costco pic than the NY/NJ. I understand the crisp/floppy distinction, but we're talking about calories not cook time.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    NARudy wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Well, you haven't yet even decided if you're going to cut the pizza 6 or 8 ways.... so.... yes, it IS hard to actually come up with something more precise then 200 to 400 Cal

I didn't care which one I got, because simple math would get me to what a whole pie would be. If I got six, I could multiple by six to get a while pie. Then I could divide by eight to get a slice cut eight ways. Because in NJ it depends on the person doing the cutting how many slices in a pie. Joe DiMola always does six, but his cousin Frank does eight. So if you order on a Friday you get Joe's six, but on a Saturday you get Frank's eight!

Most of the pizza entries at MFP that aren't for frozen pizza -- which is very different from pizzeria pizza and not transferable -- just say "one slice" without mentioning how big the pie is (12", 14", 16" or 18") or how many slices there are. This is why this is such an issue -- there's no way to determine how big a slice is without knowing the size of the pie and how many times it is cut.

If you can, weigh the pizza slice and use one of the database entries that specifies a weight & adjust accordingly. When I did that with a plain slice of pizza from my local pizza shop a few months back, I got 600 calories for one slice and 700 calories for the 2nd slice (yes, one slice was noticeably bigger than the other).
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Probably very similar to a Costco pie. Which I believe is 16 inches and 6 slices

I don't know if Costco pies differ by region but NY/NJ style pies are usually thinner/crisper crust and lighter on all sauce/cheese/toppings. In terms of volume, Costco slices are double or more the size of a generic NJ/NY style pizzeria slice.

5a6wzh6ykxa3.jpg

Than this:

mwn8scw28pfc.jpg

Your NY/NJ picture is a 12 inch pie. The Costco slice is a 16 inch.

The pictures are more illustrative of the thickness and topping load than actual size. Costco slices are heavy.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options

5a6wzh6ykxa3.jpg

Than this:

mwn8scw28pfc.jpg

I've been thinking along the lines of the second picture. The first looks close enough to Domino's :smiley:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    And now I want pizza!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    And now I want pizza!

Now we all want pizza :'(
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I would add that everyone is kind of right. I lived on Long Island for 40 years. I had oily pizza, I had not oily pizza. I had crust stretched super thin or just regular thin. I had one guy go a little heavy on the cheese, another not so much. That is the beauty of a NY/NJ style pizza!

Having said that, if you are thinking of pizza that is a doughy crust and lots of cheese, you're not thinking of an authentic NY/NJ pizza.

As I said in my first post, I have been logging 285 cals per slice, logging extra cheese or oil if the slices seem oilier or cheesier than usual, for 4 years and it hasn't messed with my results. A 16" pie is possibly an extra large pie, so I might log 1.1 or 1.2 servings per slice for that. I'd guess that I've had slices from the same place that varied from 285 cals to 485 cals, depending on whose tossing the pies that day. Just like any meal a restaurant makes for you, you have to make a judgement call once it's in front of you and do the best you can. And the more accurately you log the rest of the time, the easier it gets to guesstimate when you need to.
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I would add that everyone is kind of right. I lived on Long Island for 40 years. I had oily pizza, I had not oily pizza. I had crust stretched super thin or just regular thin. I had one guy go a little heavy on the cheese, another not so much. That is the beauty of a NY/NJ style pizza!

Having said that, if you are thinking of pizza that is a doughy crust and lots of cheese, you're not thinking of an authentic NY/NJ pizza.

As I said in my first post, I have been logging 285 cals per slice, logging extra cheese or oil if the slices seem oilier or cheesier than usual, for 4 years and it hasn't messed with my results. A 16" pie is possibly an extra large pie, so I might log 1.1 or 1.2 servings per slice for that. I'd guess that I've had slices from the same place that varied from 285 cals to 485 cals, depending on whose tossing the pies that day. Just like any meal a restaurant makes for you, you have to make a judgement call once it's in front of you and do the best you can. And the more accurately you log the rest of the time, the easier it gets to guesstimate when you need to.

The below (without the missing bite) is what I've had in mind, and i would think it to be closer to 500+ than 300.

Obviously long term, and based on a slice or two a week, it will make little difference.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    God I am SO hungry right now. It's not raining that hard. And the pizza place is right up the road. Little Vincent's needs my support I think. It's what a good local citizen would do.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Fellow New Jersey-ite here. For a standard pizzeria plain slice from a 16-18 inch pie, I tend to estimate ~400 calories give or take (though in reality I do think that number is probably a good 25% too high). Seems about right to me. Dough would be about 200 (aligns with calorie info on raw pizza dough sold in my supermarket) and then 200 for sauce and cheese. You can save 50 calories by not eating the crust.

Also, all of the NY style pizza places I've gone to in my life (born and raised in the area) slice their pies into 8 pieces. Size per slice will always be different, but nobody slices into 6 because it requires an odd number of passes with the cutter.

Every look at the calories at some slices of white bread? Sometimes for once slice, it can be over 100 calories. I don't know what pizzerias you are going to, but in my area, one slice can have the equivalent of 2-3 slices of bread. That could be 300 calories right there. Ever count the calories in some moz cheese? How heavy is the cheese they put on your pizza? Then look at the back of a jar of marina sauce and look at the calories in the sauce. I know that's not the sauce they use in pizza but....it can't be that far off. I think those who say that a Jersey pie slice can have upwards of 600 calories.

Relax there, sparky.

NY/NJ style is thin crust. Something like 1/8 of an inch thick. You're probably talking about 1.5-2 ounces of dough per slice, which equates to about 150-200 calories. What you're referring to we would call a sicilian or perhaps Pennsylvania tomato pie (though the latter is generally served cold while the former is served hot).

NY/NJ style is also relatively light on the sauce. Maybe three tablespoons per slice and the sauce tends to be more akin to the thin Red Pack or Hunts canned sauces than it is to the Prego jarred sauce. The former are basically just tomatoes & seasonings though pizzerias will customize their sauces with some olive oil. Red Pack tomato sauce is 5 calories per tablespoon. If we assume that the sauce is 25% olive oil, than I'm OK to call it 100 calories per slice for sauce.

Dry mozzarella cheese is about 80 calories per ounce. NJ/NY style pizza is also relatively light on the cheese (relative to thicker style pies). Each slice probably has on order of 1.5 ounces. Call it 120 per slice.

Like I said, 400 calories. Easy peasy.

First, don't tell me to "relax sparky". That's very condescending. I'm totally relaxed. I was only making a point. I saw the two pictures you put up. I've lived in Jersey for 41 years. I don't think I've ever had a crust as thin as in picture 1. It's usually somewhere between the two pics. And the pie is usually not as small as pic 1. As for being light on cheese, well lets just say, that depends on the guy making it. I've had pies very heavy on cheese (without me asking), and some extremely light on it. And I know what a sicilian is. I've had plenty in my time. I also have had traditional Tomato pies. I don't need an education in pizza LOL. I still say slices from a "16 pie is probably closer to 5-600 calories.

But that's just from my experience with the type of pies I have had. YMMV
  • DX2JX2
    edited March 2018
    Options

The below (without the missing bite) is what I've had in mind, and i would think it to be closer to 500+ than 300.

That's a bad NY/NJ style slice. The dough is too thick and the cheese too heavy. We used to call those college pizzeria slices. On the plus side, the thicker crust and heavier cheese did a nice job of sopping up alcohol, those kind of pies are always super cheap, and at the end of the day even bad pizza is pretty good.

But yeah, that I would definitely place closer to 500 than to 300 or 400.
  • NARudy
    NARudy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who posted in this. I fine the high counts (500 or more) to be off -- at least for DiMola's pizza -- since we have it once a week and counting at about 350 calories doesn't seem to impact my weight loss. Maybe I'm a little low since I don't eat the outside crust (the dog needs it badly) and because we get veggies on our pies and no meat.

Anyway, thanks to all. This was helpful.
  • DX2JX2
    Options

First, don't tell me to "relax sparky". That's very condescending.

It was intended to be condescending.

If you normally write/speak to others in the tone you used in your reply to me then I'm surprised that you're not more used to it.
  • YvetteK2015
    Options

First, don't tell me to "relax sparky". That's very condescending.

It was intended to be condescending.

If you normally write/speak to others in the tone you used in your reply to me then I'm surprised that you're not more used to it.

I'm typing on the computer. If you are interpreting a "tone", it's because you are imagining it in you head. I was not projecting one as I was responding to you. For gods sake, we are talking about pizza. I was just giving an opinion.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I usually use the whole foods pizza entry. It's a similar style.
  • DX2JX2
    Options

I'm typing on the computer. If you are interpreting a "tone", it's because you are imagining it in you head. I was not projecting one as I was responding to you. For gods sake, we are talking about pizza. I was just giving an opinion.

Step 1 is recognizing that there's a problem. If you truly don't recognize that there was 'tone' to your original reply, then you might want to reflect upon your writing style. Or not. This is the internet and we're all free to be anonymously tough anyway. Agree or disagree, it doesn't really matter.

A word of advice on the off chance that you care...if you happen to have a history of people making seemingly unprovoked comments towards you or things that you've said, it's you, not them.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I usually use the whole foods pizza entry. It's a similar style.

This is the type of approach I use. You can find calories for pizza from Whole Foods/Domino's/Pizza Hut/Papa John's/etc. Just use the one that seems the closest to the pizza you're eating.
  • YvetteK2015
    Options

Step 1 is recognizing that there's a problem. If you truly don't recognize that there was 'tone' to your original reply, then you might want to reflect upon your writing style. Or not. This is the internet and we're all free to be anonymously tough anyway. Agree or disagree, it doesn't really matter.

A word of advice on the off chance that you care...if you happen to have a history of people making seemingly unprovoked comments towards you or things that you've said, it's you, not them.

Wow, you have taken this way too seriously. Again, there was no tone given to you. You are interpreting that. I wish you wouldn't. And no, I don't get unprovoked comments towards me. So I think this one is you.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

If you often find yourself perceiving "tone" that's not there. The problem might be you.

A word of advice on the off chance that you care...if you happen to have a history making unprovoked comments towards others regarding things that they have said, it's you, not them

• Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me happy. After 8 years I finally had "ny pizza" and it was the best 500 cal I've had in a long time.