Frequent night leg cramps

Options
Not really weight loss related but it's something that I'm pretty worried about.

For the past few years (maybe for the past 3-5 years?) I've been dealing with night leg cramps. It's those excruciating leg cramps that happen in the middle of the night when you're sleeping. In the past, it wasn't that frequent and only happened once in a while. Nowadays, it's happening almost every night and it's getting worse.

Last time, it would just hurt like hell but feel the same but nowadays, when I touch my calf when I get the cramps, it seems super tense and firm which is scary. It also usually only happens once a night when I get it but yesterday, I got it twice in one night.

I'm worried about this being some kind of symptom to a sickness or something, based on sites online. Could be due to how unhealthy I used to eat.

Has anyone else faced this problem? Please do let me know! I really hope it's not a symptom for something bad given how frequent and progressive it's getting. If it persists, I'll probably head down to a doctor.

Replies

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Heading to the doctor I think is a great idea. Dehydration or possibly a lack of some kind of nutrient your not getting enough of thru eating. I am a scuba diver and if I dont hydrate well enough, I can get nasty cramps during my dive. Try stretching out a cramp underwater in a drysuit in cold water. UUUUUGGGHHH

I would ask the doctor for a blood workup to see if your not low on Potassium or something.
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ugh, charlie horses are the worst. But you're having them a lot, def see a doctor. Check how much water you're drinking too, dehydration can cause a lot of cramping. I take vitamin D and its helped a lot with overall leg cramps which I get a lot, but I haven't had a charlie horse in years.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You could try taking Magnesium at night or quinine. Leg cramps are usually related to electrolyte imbalance but could also indicate other medical problems. Might be worth getting a checkup if you haven't been to the doctor for a while. Inadequate hydration can also cause leg ramps

I have a mate who suffers the same and he finds drinking tonic water a help due to the quinine
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    These could be happening for a variety of reasons. I had them during all of my pregnancies. My husband got them shortly after his steroid allergy shot, he had them every night for a month and then they started to subside. They can happen due to electrolyte imbalances and dehydration. A simple lab panel can answer that for you. I would recommend visiting your doctor.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. In the meantime, trying upping your hydration. Water is fine but try a sports drink if you've been running at a calorie deficit. Eat bananas.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    eat bananas - and when you have a cramp put your foot on a cold floor or ice pack.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Do you sleep on your back with a heavy blanket? I used to sleep on my back with a ton of blankets on me because I like the weight. But the weight pushing down on the tops of my feet all night would cause me to wake up with these excruciating cramps in my calves! I got a warmer lighter blanket and tried to not sleep on my back and they mostly stopped.

Either way a doctor visit would be a good idea.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I used to get a LOT of leg cramps in the middle of the night. Mentioned it to a nurse/friend - she also mentioned possible dehydration and possibly an electrolyte issue. I now drink Gatorade when I workout - no more leg cramps (I swear this is NOT a paid advertisement......LOL)!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    potassium - eat a banana occasionally
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I'm not drinking enough water. It really is terribly painful. I would see a doctor for blood work if it's happening that frequently though. If you're not into bananas, watermelon has even more potassium, as do potatoes :)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I would suggest increasing your water intake (multiply your weight by 2/3 - that's how many ounces you should shoot for each day) and eating a banana every day for a couple of weeks and see if it improves. If it doesn't you should see a doctor.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor, you could try tonic water in the meantime. Don't know if it's placebo or not but really helped my mom out with her cramps, especially since a lot of the meds dr would be able to prescribe she couldn't take.
  • AshEvelynn
    AshEvelynn Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Just a little trick after I suffered through pregnancy with them...

The moment you feel your calf start to tighten up, push your heel down as far as you can and quickly - not sure why it works but for me, it instantly stops the leg cramp EVERY TIME and has not failed me yet...
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Try stretching your calves every hour for 30+ seconds.
    Also set your food log so it's visible to us. :+1:
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Sounds like a potassium deficiency. You can buy salt substitutes that are made up of potassium chloride, much cheaper and more potent than the tablets. You can sprinkle the potassium salt on your food or mix it into a drink. Daily recommended intake of potassium is around 1600 - 2000mg.

Foods highest in potassium are: squash, potatoes, spinach, lentils, kidney beans.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Agreed with others on dehydration and potential potassium deficiency.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Oh my God is there a more rude awakening than that?! I get them from time to time too. When it happens I try pulling my toes backwards (towards my knees) and it relieves them.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If you go down the potassium supplement route, please be aware that in some people it can cause stomach issues. I started with potassium tablets two weeks ago and am now left with gastritis. It was an almost immediate effect. If you are prone to these sorts of stomach things, do a bit of research first or eat plenty of bananas/other high potassium foods instead :)