When did you start feeling the extra energy from exercise?

This question pertains more to people who lost a lot of weight (like 100 pounds or so). I am curious when you felt like you had more energy from exercising? I felt it the first couple weeks and now feeling sluggish again. I’m going to examine my foods and try to make a better balance and up my water intake (although I drink quite a bit) to see if this helps. I read posts where people felt that they wanted to exercise on a regular basis. I still have to make myself do it.

Replies

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    I think you get addicted to the endorphins released from exercise and that is what makes you want to do it.

This happens if you workout frequently. Some might call it "getting in the habit of exercising".

You know the folks who lift weights 6 days a week...they are addicted. Happens to people who run and bike a lot too. You feel you are getting behind if you miss a workout.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Just keep it up! You will catch on <3
  • gg3975
    gg3975 Posts: 6 Member
    I think some people do too much and it makes them very tired. My thoughts are to do something you enjoy and don’t do more than what makes you feel good. Over time your fitness will improve.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    This question pertains more to people who lost a lot of weight (like 100 pounds or so). I am curious when you felt like you had more energy from exercising? I felt it the first couple weeks and now feeling sluggish again. I’m going to examine my foods and try to make a better balance and up my water intake (although I drink quite a bit) to see if this helps. I read posts where people felt that they wanted to exercise on a regular basis. I still have to make myself do it.

I exercise on a regular basis because I enjoy cycling. It took awhile for me to find something I like and that I clicked with...once that happened, it was easy. If "exercise" meant droning away on some piece of cardio equipment or jumping around my living room to some DVD, it would never happen.

Regular exercise is also something that you need to ramp up to, not just jump into...if you're newish to exercise, the fatigue could be a result of doing too much too soon.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    It took me a couple of months, and I started slow.

Every time I add something new to my routine it kills me for a few weeks until my body adjusts.
  • RickSuk
    RickSuk Posts: 8 Member
    For me it started with a bike. Small rides. Then longer ones. All on a constant basis. Eventually, the success of extending the distance became a motivator. The success bred success. It took maybe three months before I felt better after exercise than before. Stick with your program. You WILL thank yourself.
  • alicia163425
    alicia163425 Posts: 80 Member
    Thanks everyone! I was basically sedentary and started out with 3 days a week of the 30 day shred and have been doing this regularly now for 4 weeks. My plan is add a 45 minute cardio session once per week in April and then in May add another to the week. I’d like to go to classes like Zumba or something but I’m super nervous and my friends aren’t big into exercise so I’m kind of on my own with that. I think once I lose more weight maybe I’ll feel better about it. Thanks for all the great advice!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Down 118 lbs here. I have never felt more energy from exercise. I feel tired and sore nearly every day. But I do notice that I am now able to squat 185 lbs when I used to struggle with bodyweight, and I am now able to run 6 miles while I used to get tired just standing to do chores.

If you are in the "need to lose 100 or more" club then exercise is about saving your life. Literally adding years and decades to your life. It's huge that you are doing this and in a year you won't even recognize yourself if you keep it up. But don't do it because you expect to magically feel energized because that may never happen. Instead, remember what Nike said and just do it. You don't have to love it, you don't have to feel it, you just have to do it.
  • alicia163425
    alicia163425 Posts: 80 Member
    @rheddmobile that’s what I was afraid of haha. I see all these posts of people saying how much they love exercise. And yes there are some active things I enjoy but I’m not sure I’m going to be in the absolutely love exercise club. I’ll just keep plugging along
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I have always been in absolute terrible shape. Severe asthma has plagued me throughout my life and makes working out and sometimes even doing simple things like climbing stairs or even laughing too hard a PIA. It made me dread working out. This leg of my fitness journey I started to feel more energy about two weeks in to working out. I'm about 3 months in now, and I am finding I actually crave physical activity. Like, I get kind of restless sometimes and need to do something. I never really thought I would actually want to work out. I just knew it was something I needed to do if I wanted to make it to 50 in one piece. The fact that I am actually craving exercise now makes me motivated to keep going. I can't say I love exercise though, but I don't hate it as much anymore. I feel like the more you do, and the more milestones you hit, the more motivating it becomes. Like when you go from barely being able to touch your knees to touching your shins, then finally your toes. Or noticing that a brisk walk doesn't leave you out of breath. It's the little things like that that keep me going.
  • diane6852
    diane6852 Posts: 5 Member
    Alicia -- Zumba is a great way to add cardio. Also, try different Zumba instructor classes; you may find that it clicks for you with a particular instructor. If you can find Zumba Gold classes, the pace is slower than regular Zumba, and the movements less intense. It's a good place to start. In a regular Zumba class, you can modify your movements, and take breaks when you need to. I couldn't finish my first Zumba class last year -- I didn't have the endurance, but I kept going back, and this year I'm teaching Zumba Gold.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I think it might be a placebo effect for me. I immediately feel “better” when I start to work out regularly. I feel more energized and am just generally in a better mood.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I don't necessarily feel like I get extra energy from exercising. Instead, it provides more of a mental boost each day and gets me in a good mood. The boost isn't really a physical thing and if that's what you're looking for from your exercise, it's not going to happen.

You have to find an exercise that you enjoy doing. If you don't enjoy the exercise, any early boost you get from it will be very short-lived.

If you stick with it long enough, you will definitely notice your improved physical condition and this in itself can provide some motivation to stick with it.