Looking for Alternatives!?

Options
Looking for advice on what people use - lower calorie options - for both pasta and bread (hamburger buns, wraps, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I don't use alternatives either like @kommodevaran I just eat smaller portions or make sure they fit into my calorie allowance.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Either smaller portions.. or lettuce wraps, low cal wraps, zucchini noodles, shirataki noodles
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    We do zoodles sometimes...I don't really think it substitutes for pasta, but it's a lower calorie option to eat with my bolognese sauce.

For hamburger buns, we use these sprouted wheat buns which are slightly lower calorie than regular wheat buns, but it's pretty negligible...mostly we like the texture. When my wife is cutting weight, she typically eats her burger without the bun or in a lettuce wrap...I just eat it on a bun.
  • HarveysBud
    HarveysBud Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    We do zoodles sometimes...I don't really think it substitutes for pasta, but it's a lower calorie option to eat with my bolognese sauce.

For hamburger buns, we use these sprouted wheat buns which are slightly lower calorie than regular wheat buns, but it's pretty negligible...mostly we like the texture. When my wife is cutting weight, she typically eats her burger without the bun or in a lettuce wrap...I just eat it on a bun.

Zoodles? Going on a limb, what @sardelsa mentioned = Zucchini noodles? Thanks for the comments.
  • holytricoli
    holytricoli Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like to use whole wheat sandwich thins for burgers and sandwiches. About half the calories of two slices of bread.
    I also eat whole wheat pasta (although pasta is pretty rare for me), and make sure I'm being smart about portion control. Same calories, but more filling, in my opinion.
    Sometimes I use whole wheat tortillas but typically when I make tacos or similar dishes, instead of filling a tortilla (or two!), I put everything on a bed of lettuce or spinach and have it that way instead.

Hope this is helpful!
  • sardelsa
    Options
    HarveysBud wrote: »

Zoodles? Going on a limb, what @sardelsa mentioned = Zucchini noodles? Thanks for the comments.

Yup zoodles are zucchini noodles. You can use them instead of pasta or use them to bulk up a smaller portion of pasta, helps add some volume and extra nutrients.
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    I like to use whole wheat sandwich thins for burgers and sandwiches. About half the calories of two slices of bread.
    I also eat whole wheat pasta (although pasta is pretty rare for me), and make sure I'm being smart about portion control. Same calories, but more filling, in my opinion.
    Sometimes I use whole wheat tortillas but typically when I make tacos or similar dishes, instead of filling a tortilla (or two!), I put everything on a bed of lettuce or spinach and have it that way instead.

Hope this is helpful!

Absolutely is @holytricoli , thank you. Just head lettuce to make wraps?
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yup zoodles are zucchini noodles. You can use them instead of pasta or use them to bulk up a smaller portion of pasta, helps add some volume and extra nutrients.

Thank you kindly. Going to check them out. Meatballs are my fav, so hoping this pairs well. Super skeptical mind you. But will give them a chance for sure! Ty again.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    In my area, I can get 150 calorie pasta (it has a higher fiber content, but tastes no different). There is a local store brand (Hy-Vee) and Creamette, and Ronzoni also make versions, but I hear from friends that it's hard to find. My question is, if they *can* make something with less calories and no difference in taste, why not just make it *all* that way? ;)
    Sara Lee makes 45 calorie bread, but the flavor is eh and it doesn't keep well. Occasionally I find low-carb wraps in the neighborhood of 50-60 calories. For the most part, if I want a sandwich I just have my regular 60-70 calorie bread and use a bakery bun for burgers & things. Unless you have a very low calorie allowance (and that should be rare), it fits in OK.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Thank you kindly. Going to check them out. Meatballs are my fav, so hoping this pairs well. Super skeptical mind you. But will give them a chance for sure! Ty again.

No problem! I mean, they aren't pasta.. but they are yummy and do go well with sauce and meat. If you aren't a fan, you can always bulk up your pasta with more veggies to save on calories
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    In my area, I can get 150 calorie pasta (it has a higher fiber content, but tastes no different). There is a local store brand (Hy-Vee) and Creamette, and Ronzoni also make versions, but I hear from friends that it's hard to find. My question is, if they *can* make something with less calories and no difference in taste, why not just make it *all* that way? ;)
    Sara Lee makes 45 calorie bread, but the flavor is eh and it doesn't keep well. Occasionally I find low-carb wraps in the neighborhood of 50-60 calories. For the most part, if I want a sandwich I just have my regular 60-70 calorie bread and use a bakery bun for burgers & things. Unless you have a very low calorie allowance (and that should be rare), it fits in OK.

Thanks so much for the comment and options @try2again . Appreciated!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Yup...

I'm mostly about the sauce and not so much the pasta and would rather spend more calories on glorious sauce and just need a delivery method, so we do zoodles quite often.
  • HarveysBud
    Options

Yup...

I'm mostly about the sauce and not so much the pasta and would rather spend more calories on glorious sauce and just need a delivery method, so we do zoodles quite often.

Ha! Exactly!! I am with you on that one. Thanks Wolf Man!
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free, so I use alternatives all the time. I agree with the posts about zoodles, I use them a lot. They're super low calorie, too. Spaghetti squash is another great substitute for pasta and I really like the flavor. Romaine hearts and butter lettuce are fantastic for wraps. You could also try portobella mushroom caps instead of a bread bun.
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    I'm gluten free, so I use alternatives all the time. I agree with the posts about zoodles, I use them a lot. They're super low calorie, too. Spaghetti squash is another great substitute for pasta and I really like the flavor. Romaine hearts and butter lettuce are fantastic for wraps. You could also try portobella mushroom caps instead of a bread bun.

Thanks so much for all of this @VeggieGirlforLife !
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Yes I do use light bread...english muffins and wraps. Its the visual of more for my calorie dollar. It works 4 me :D
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I also like the high fiber content of these items...stays with me longer.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I don't often substitute, but I do like Barilla's protein plus pasta. It has a higher protein and fiber content that regular pasta and the taste is very similar. The macros make a reasonable 2 oz. serving very satiating so I don't want seconds.
    I'm also a fan of bulking up food with vegetables. If I make mashed potatoes, I will sometimes add cabbage or kale. White rice might get tossed with riced broccoli. Add cauliflower to potato soup. That sorta thing.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    All veggies.

I recently was offered mixed greens salad instead of noodles for a Korean dish. It was fabulous. Also works well with taco toppings, and most sandwich fixings.

Spaghetti squash makes a great substitute for noodles in many Asian dishes, as does shredded cabbage.

Broccoli is another good one as a base for suaced up meats.

Cauliflower makes an excellent rice substitute, for me it is usually dirty rice or Spanish rice (that is the midwestern casserole by that name). Still trying to convince hubby about trying cauliflower Jambalaya.