High iron& protein keto vegetarian recipes??(soy and gluten free)

Options
misslibralove
misslibralove Posts: 21 Member
edited March 2018 in Recipes
Hey guys I'm looking for high protein and high iron Keto vegetarian recipes that are soy and gluten free. Any ideas? Thanks :)
Are beans and lentils high in carbs?
Can't eat tofu or gluten at all so many vegetarian products are off limits for me.

Replies

• mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    this one is delicious. You would have to swap out the Tofu ricotta with real Ricotta, to make it soy free. But is high protein, high fiber. also you can add kale to the marinara to increase the iron.

https://minimalistbaker.com/lentil-eggplant-lasagna/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    • Keto Vegetarian is very difficult. Vegetarian is naturally higher in carbs, and it is difficult to find iron sources.
    • You are further restricting yourself by eliminating soy and gluten.
    • Beans and lentils are excellent sources for protein, if you are vegetarian. However, all pulses, legumes, beans and lentils will also have carbs and fiber.

I am going to guess you are an ethical vegetarian who is trying to lose weight, and have sensitivities to both soy and gluten. If I am right so far, I respectfully suggest that you drop the Keto restriction.

As a vegetarian looking for protein, you can look to eggs, dairy, cheese, all the pulses/legumes/beans/lentils, and oatmeal for your protein sources.

For the iron, I suggest a supplement. It will be difficult on a vegetarian diet to get enough iron. You might also look at getting a Lucky Iron Fish to put in your pot for extra iron.

You can still lose weight by keeping to the calorie limit set by MFP daily.
  • misslibralove
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thank you mutantspicy I will try that out. I love minimalist bakers recipe. I'm wanting to try one of the gluten free fig Newton recipes I saw
    Thank you also jgnatca I am having trouble finding any high protein high iron Keto recipes.none with beans or lentils lol . I will definitely stick to those foods and just calorie count. What is a lucky iron fish lol? Where can I get it?
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Have you tried greek yogurt? I am eating fage 0% right now and it has 18g of protein, 7g carbs for 100 calories. I add 1 ounce of blackberries for some sweetness. No iron in the greek yogurt unfortunately.

For turning it into a meal, I double the greek yogurt and blackberry amount, add in a tbsn of almond butter, and serving of granola; however, I am not following the keto lifestyle so for you perhaps eliminating the granola and doubleing up on the almond butter would work.

There are tons of yogurt savory and sweet recipes! Also cottage cheese if high protein and veggie
  • misslibralove
    Options
    Thanks for the idea, I love fage Greek yogurt with some fruit on it too. I never tried it with almond butter though that sounds delicious. I am wanting to try a macadamia nut butter would be so good I'm wondering if I can make that to add to it. Sounds really high protein and perfect for before a workout!
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    Thank you mutantspicy I will try that out. I love minimalist bakers recipe. I'm wanting to try one of the gluten free fig Newton recipes I saw
    Thank you also jgnatca I am having trouble finding any high protein high iron Keto recipes.none with beans or lentils lol . I will definitely stick to those foods and just calorie count. What is a lucky iron fish lol? Where can I get it?

Me too! Her stuff is great. Check out Vegangela as well. Check out Minimalist Baker's Quinoa Stuffed Peppers too! those are to die for.
  • misslibralove
    Options
    Mutantspicy that sounds great I'll look into that recipe cause sometimes I have bell peppers but don't know what to make with them lol. Cool I'll look that up too thanks!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    More about the Lucky Iron Fish. The sellers are a buy-one-give-one company so your purchase will help a needy family get their iron too.

https://luckyironfish.com/pages/lucky-iron-fish
  • misslibralove
    Options
    Thank you so much jgnatca! I looked it up and going to buy it. Is there a way that I can find a store which sells it? If not I'll just have to order it. This sounds great because I can't take vitamins and seems like this will really help and that's great If it can help a family too. I barely get enough iron right now since I haven't been able to take vitamins I hope I can get this asap lol.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    keto is usually high fat,low carb and moderate protein. so if you are trying to be vegetarian it may not work so well. beans and lentils are high in carbs. keto is 50g net or less of carbs per day. many eat less than 20g per day.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Goodness, woman. Why can’t you take vitamins? Is it the pill that gets to you? Then find a liquid form or gummy bears.

Please try and remove as many restrictions as possible, not add to them.

I doubt you will find the Lucky Iron Fish in the stores.

In my opinion you should be eating beans and legumes and eating a variety of carbs.
  • bcj8
    bcj8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    this one is delicious. You would have to swap out the Tofu ricotta with real Ricotta, to make it soy free. But is high protein, high fiber. also you can add kale to the marinara to increase the iron.

Hiya. This sounds delicious. Does anyone know how it keeps/freezes?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea, I love fage Greek yogurt with some fruit on it too. I never tried it with almond butter though that sounds delicious. I am wanting to try a macadamia nut butter would be so good I'm wondering if I can make that to add to it. Sounds really high protein and perfect for before a workout!

Nut butters are easy to make. Just dump the nuts in a food processor and process until it reaches desired consistency. Warning: the first time you try this, you will probably start feeling like it's not going to work, as the process from whole nuts to chopped nuts to nut meal takes a while, and it just seems to stick at the nut meal stage and look like nothing is happening, and then when it finally starts turning from meal to paste, it happens pretty quickly. You can add salt, herbs, and spices to taste. Some people add a little oil (neutral flavor or a matched flavor profile -- you might like coconut oil with macadamia) to both speed up the process and to end up with a softer, more spreadable nut butter that is a little more resistant to separation, but I personally prefer the consistency of butter made from just nuts. My favs are pistachio butter and smoked almond butter.
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    bcj8 wrote: »

I didn't try freezing it. But I made a batch. kept it in the fridge. I ate 1 slice a day and it lasted for 6 days in the fridge, no signs going bad, it could of lasted a few more days. I don't see why you couldn't freeze it.
  • misslibralove
    Options

Nut butters are easy to make. Just dump the nuts in a food processor and process until it reaches desired consistency. Warning: the first time you try this, you will probably start feeling like it's not going to work, as the process from whole nuts to chopped nuts to nut meal takes a while, and it just seems to stick at the nut meal stage and look like nothing is happening, and then when it finally starts turning from meal to paste, it happens pretty quickly. You can add salt, herbs, and spices to taste. Some people add a little oil (neutral flavor or a matched flavor profile -- you might like coconut oil with macadamia) to both speed up the process and to end up with a softer, more spreadable nut butter that is a little more resistant to separation, but I personally prefer the consistency of butter made from just nuts. My favs are pistachio butter and smoked almond butter.

Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to try. Do you soak the nuts with water first? I saw a recipe and I think part of it was soaking first. But it Will be so easy to just throw them in processor though with some coconut oil so I'll try that, I love fast and easy recipes lol. I am going to try to get a bigger processor I just have a mini one lol. Pistachio butter sounds delicious! I'll have to try that too!
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Anonymous_fiend Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm keto and am eating mostly vegetarian (I'll eat meat out 1-2x week). Have you ever tried fathead pizza or any other fathead dough meals? https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-pizza/ is a great site for vegetarian keto grain/soy free meals like greek (spinach olive mozz/feta) periogis, egg and cheese breakfast hot pockets, ect. Curry is another fave. The Chili's, tumeric, and cumin add a lot of iron plus add some broccoli and other veggies. Then add nutritional yeast for protein. Putting it over cauliflower rice is amazing. As said above nut butter is great especially when feeling lazy or snacks. Nuts and seeds are really the key. I use almond flour in a lot of recipes. If you get it natural not blanched it's high in protein and iron. In reality as long as you are willing to cook there's almost endless options that fit your requirements.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    miritikvah wrote: »
    I'm keto and am eating mostly vegetarian (I'll eat meat out 1-2x week). Have you ever tried fathead pizza or any other fathead dough meals? https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-pizza/ is a great site for vegetarian keto grain/soy free meals like greek (spinach olive mozz/feta) periogis, egg and cheese breakfast hot pockets, ect. Curry is another fave. The Chili's, tumeric, and cumin add a lot of iron plus add some broccoli and other veggies. Then add nutritional yeast for protein. Putting it over cauliflower rice is amazing. As said above nut butter is great especially when feeling lazy or snacks. Nuts and seeds are really the key. I use almond flour in a lot of recipes. If you get it natural not blanched it's high in protein and iron. In reality as long as you are willing to cook there's almost endless options that fit your requirements.

Im curious as to how you are keto being mostly vegetarian? its high fat,low carb and moderate protein. and under 25 grams of carbs for most people. you are mostly plant based then if you arent eating a lot of meat.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options

Im curious as to how you are keto being mostly vegetarian? its high fat,low carb and moderate protein. and under 25 grams of carbs for most people. you are mostly plant based then if you arent eating a lot of meat.

I did it for about six months and I eat no meat at all. I ate a LOT of cheese, peanuts, Mission1/Quest bars, cauliflower-based recipes, eggs, veggies, peanut butter... I kept under 30 (net) grams of carbs.

It's not easy, but it is possible. I ultimately gave it up because I missed fruit and was sick of beating myself up over going over in carbs because of eating too many VEGETABLES. My mental health suffered but I'm prone to that anyway.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I did it for about six months and I eat no meat at all. I ate a LOT of cheese, peanuts, Mission1/Quest bars, cauliflower-based recipes, eggs, veggies, peanut butter... I kept under 30 (net) grams of carbs.

It's not easy, but it is possible. I ultimately gave it up because I missed fruit and was sick of beating myself up over going over in carbs because of eating too many VEGETABLES. My mental health suffered but I'm prone to that anyway.

that would not be a way Id want to eat either.
  • mmariev14
    mmariev14 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bcj8 wrote: »

So I made something similar to this; a layered eggplant ricotta bake with marinara. I freeze all my big batch meals so I can switch them up over the month. I made this in individual foil pans for easy portioning, cling wrapped them, put them in a freezer bag, and they still taste great!
    To the OP, I also am vegetarian and TRYING to do low carb, and it Is very difficult. I've decided to make my low carb goal just an occasional thing, maybe 3 days a week. It seems to keep me a little more sane. But definitely try a variant of this eggplant recipe. It's delish and freezes great. Good luck!