Need ideas to increate protein?

Options
Kreutzy
Kreutzy Posts: 29 Member
I'm doing great with keeping my calories in check......actually most days with my excersize I"m way under.
However, I have a terrible time getting enough protein in. I know that chicken and eggs and greek yougart are all great for protien - but I'm looking for more ideas to up my protein.....can anyone help?

Replies

• Kreutzy
    Options
    Sorry - "increase" not "increate".:blushing:
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Beans
    Cheese
    Other lean meats (fish, turkey, etc.)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Low-fat cottage cheese is another.
    tuna
    chicken breast
    pork chops
    fish, especially wild salmon because it contains great omega-3 fatty acids

If you're struggling to meet your protein target, you could always get some whey protein powder, and that should let you fill it in quite easily.
  • zolaric
    zolaric Posts: 1
    Options
    Protein bars and shakes
  • a_freeman
    a_freeman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I grill an inexpensive steak like london broil and slice it thin. If you feel like a snack, have a piece of steak or include it in a salad
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Make sure your snacks are protein based - hard boiled egg, string cheese, roast sot beans, almonds, humous with dippy veg, peanut butter, slices of ham, edamame beans etc
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just to add on to what others have said:
    Greek Yogurt
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    lentils
    Eggs
    Egg whites
    Milk
    Soy Milk
    protein powder (shakes or added to other food)
  • klamont9
    klamont9 Posts: 59
    Options
    Buy a protein powder for shakes. I use EAS 100% Whey protein and you can buy a 2lb bucket for $20 at Target. 20g of protein per scoop. Comes in vanilla and chocolate. I put half a cup of frozen fruit, 1 cup of skim milk, 1.5 scoops or powder, and 6 ice cupes and make a shake after working out.

Also, try protein bars. Most come in 10 or 20g of protein. I eat Cliff Builder's bars. 20g of protein and very tasty.
  • Wanting2BSkinny
    Options
    I drink the Atkins shakes (15g protein) and Kellogg's Protein Bars (the one's that are with the shakes in the nutritional dept of Wal-Mart, not the one's that are on the cereal aisle).
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I like taking non fat plain yogurt and mixing in a whey protein powder into it. Sometimes it vanilla, strawberry or Chocolate flavored. Point is.... Your non fat plain yogurt becomes flavored and has a ton of protein in it.
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree about protein shakes - helps you get alot of protein easily. Adding some PB to your shake ups it even more!
  • DEMONSLAYER1977
    DEMONSLAYER1977 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    try adding a protien shake to your diet. like monster milk or something along that line. monster milk is 50 g protien. just an idea
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My fave: natural peanut butter and EAS protein drinks. Not together though (lol). I eat my natural peanut butter with granny smith apple slices. The EAS rich dark chocolate shakes are yummmmmmy!
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is full of protein. An occasional protein bar or protein shake is also great. As long as you pick low sugar protein bars/powders, they are a great addiiton to your diet. Most gas stations have a selection, so when on the road you can grab something and stay on track. Plus they taste like candy to me!

Nuts are great for your diet, but much higher in fat than protein.

I like to precook chicken breasts to have on hand to snack on, and they make a quick healthy meal.

You can buy deli meats, but try and watch the sodium, nitrates and other fillers. The more expensive ones *typically* (not always) tend to be better.

String cheese is great and also fun to eat!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Nuts, beans, cheese, hummus, meats, dairy, eggs whites all have protein. Choose your poison.
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    just added the Body Fortress Whey Cookies and Cream protein shake to my diet. it tastes phenomenal - and i mix it with ice water. it's more of a dessert than anything. you can get a large tub at wal mart for around $15. low in sugar and fat as well!
  • Kreutzy
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Nuts
    Peanut butter
    Whole grains (crackers, pasta, bread, etc.) - anything WHOLE grain has protein. Usually 4-5g per serving
    Cheese (LOVE mini babybels right now but also string cheese)
  • ShannyB9
    ShannyB9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love Tuna, it's high in protein and low in cals. I like to mix it with relish and a touch of low fat mayo and broil on bread with a bit of cheese on top :) YUM!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Quinoa
    walnuts
    almonds
    edamame
    lentils-the black beluga ones from trader joes are really high in protein
    Garbanzo beans
    tuna
    oscar mayer deli fresh rotisserie chicken-love this one with my chobani for breakfast