Options
mikefromhaddonfield
mikefromhaddonfield Posts: 33 Member
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Any traditional goulash will be relatively healthy. Or are you asking about the macaroni dish midwesterners call goulash?
  • concordancia
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Have you tried a whole grain pasta?

Personally, I would double the meat and add onions and green peppers. That way, a serving would be more protein and veggies, less pasta.

ETA: corn? That is a new one to me!
  • mikefromhaddonfield
    mikefromhaddonfield Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes. I like the corn. Kind of like the Indian corn dish. Great ideas. Thanks.
  • rachempoo
    rachempoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I agree to increasing the veggies and meat and using whole grain pasta.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said + you could use turkey burger instead of ground beef or sirloin to cut the saturated fat.
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I went to a restaurant once and ordered Goulash, thinking I would get American style Goulash. Boy, was I surprised when I got served the European version. It was good, just not what I expected.
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes. The Midwestern style with macaroni or corkscrews, tomato juice, stewed tomatoes, ground sirloin, celery and corn. I guess it is pretty healthy I just eat to much. Maybe I could try organic shells.

Substitute ground chicken for the ground sirloin, and use https://www.barilla.com/en-us/products/pasta/proteinplus/proteinplus-elbows pasta, add a big can of diced tomatoes (the bigger size, not the petite cut) in addition to the normal amount of stewed tomatoes, and more celery. The added protein in the protein pasta makes it more filling than regular pasta. It's the only pasta I buy these days (well, other shapes, but the same line). The diced tomatoes add bulk and make it more filling, as does adding more celery. You could also add mushrooms. Cut them thick or leave them whole or they will just kind of disappear and not really add much bulk. Bulking it out with veggies means you can put the same amount on your plate, feel just as full, but you're eating less pasta and thus less calories/carbs.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I use Penzeys Spanish style smoked paprika in mine, such a great flavor in it! I love making it in the summer w/ fresh garden tomatoes as well.
  • jole721
    jole721 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use the Beefy American Goulash recipe from emilybites.com. I know it is 8 sp for almost two cups. My whole family loves it and it makes a lot!!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    tcaley4 wrote: »
    I went to a restaurant once and ordered Goulash, thinking I would get American style Goulash. Boy, was I surprised when I got served the European version. It was good, just not what I expected.

I had the opposite experience. I grew up in a household of eastern European immigrants. Then I was served goulash in Texas. Wth?!? :lol:
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!!!!!!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    What I do to make a high carb meal less high carb and healthier is I mix cauliflower with the macaroni or potatoes etc. So when I cook the macaroni I use half the macaroni and chop up enough cauliflower in the pot with it. I make Shepard's pie with mashed "potatoes" that are half potatoes and half cauliflower mashed together. In fact that is how I make mashed potatoes in general. I do this with macaroni and cheese and with potatoes au gratin etc. I often throw in a veggie I like into these dishes like chopped spinach. If you don't like whole grain pasta as well then mix it with regular pasta. So use 1/4 regular pasta 1/4 whole grain pasta and 1/2 cauliflower instead of all regular pasta. The thing about cauliflower is it pretty much blends with the other carbs and takes on their taste. When cooking, it may smell like cauliflower but when eating it tastes like macaroni or potatoes etc. It is a double benefit in that you are reducing white carbs and increasing healthy veggies. I find that if I don't get too perfectionist about it I can improve the quality of the food without being disappointed with the taste. Some just make mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. Potatoes and pasta aren't bad it is really proportions.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    When I started to read this I was wondering if you were worried about the sour cream in the Goulash. Apparently not. I was going to suggest replacing it with yogurt or light sour cream and yogurt.
  • freespirit6315
    freespirit6315 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of putting sour cream in goulash, don't do sour cream in our goulash where I grew up.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    We sometimes top ours w/ sour cream and shredded cheddar...but don’t mix it in like a stroganoff.
  • swilkins49412
    swilkins49412 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    zucchini noodles, or zoodles are a great pasta swap. You can even buy the zoodles in the freezer dept of your grocery store.
  • sandralang12327
    sandralang12327 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Replace your pasta with diced cabbage. I've made lasgana, chili, and goulash with cabbage
  • concordancia
    Options
    Replace your pasta with diced cabbage. I've made lasgana, chili, and goulash with cabbage

I call it a deconstructed cabbage roll, which I have been making since I discovered cabbage rolls are yummy, but more work than I am willing to put into my average dinner.
  • mich0821
    mich0821 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I made this over the weekend, and took for lunch everyday. It's similar to goulash with a little spice. I added black beans along with kidney beans. High in protein, low in carbs.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/southwestern-casserole