Running Friends

Options
DLove9321
DLove9321 Posts: 67 Member
Hi all. Anyone out there looking to lose about 30lbs while also training for A Half marathon? I've done 3. Looking to add a few more this summer while also shedding lbs along the way.
Looking for all the running advice and tips I can get. Feel free to add!

Replies

• ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me D. I'm learning to run at my own pace and doing pretty well. I'm doing my first 10k June 3rd and a 10k Ultra Mud Hero in Sept.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I want to enter my first half in October and lose thirty pounds by then. Feel free to add me.
  • DLove9321
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have a 10K mid April, and I hope to run 2 half marathons this summer. There is one in particular that i ran last year that Had a TON of hills that wasn't anticipating and it really wrecked my overall time. I want to do that one again and improve on my time of 2:40. Wasn't ready for all the hills.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing is to not binge eat just because you have done a long run...track your calories and fuel up. I found that giving myself 90-95 calories per mile to be a quicker easier way to calculate my burn. 95 calories if I was working speed on tracks etc and 90 for nice little trots.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kelsully wrote: »
    Biggest thing is to not binge eat just because you have done a long run...track your calories and fuel up. I found that giving myself 90-95 calories per mile to be a quicker easier way to calculate my burn. 95 calories if I was working speed on tracks etc and 90 for nice little trots.

bodyweight in lbs x 0.63 x distance in miles is pretty accurate for calorie burn
  • DLove9321
    Options
    One thing I need to fix is my Cramps. in all 3 half marathons I get really bad cramps around 11 miles. I am going to train like a mad man and make sure i complete lots of long runs to make sure my body is used to the mileage.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    DLove9321 wrote: »
    One thing I need to fix is my Cramps. in all 3 half marathons I get really bad cramps around 11 miles. I am going to train like a mad man and make sure i complete lots of long runs to make sure my body is used to the mileage.

What's your fueling strategy?
  • DLove9321
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Well usually 2 weeks before the half marathon I am making sure to drink a lot of water. And water and gatorade during the race. But the calf cramps are always a problem. I need to try a new strategy for the longer miles. I have yet to try those gels that some runners use during the long runs. I might have to give them a try.
  • bandb678
    bandb678 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Calf cramping is usually due to lack of water. Have you tried calf sleeves?
  • DLove9321
    Options
    bandb678 wrote: »
    Calf cramping is usually due to lack of water. Have you tried calf sleeves?

My last race a drank a TON of water leading up to and during the race. Same issue... No i have not tried Calf sleeves. I will look into it.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Add me if you'd like. I'm training for my first 5k in two and half years after having two babies. After that I'll move on to training for 10k and beyond. I love running.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Well usually 2 weeks before the half marathon I am making sure to drink a lot of water. And water and gatorade during the race. But the calf cramps are always a problem. I need to try a new strategy for the longer miles. I have yet to try those gels that some runners use during the long runs. I might have to give them a try.

Water and Gatorade that you also have on long training runs?
  • DLove9321
    Options

I actually don't drink much water or gatorade when i am training on long runs. I just head out and drink when I get home. The farthest i go when training is about 10 miles. During the races i start cramping up right around 11 or 11.5 miles. And i have been drinking much more gatorade and water than I normally do when training.
  • DLove9321
    Options
    Add me if you'd like. I'm training for my first 5k in two and half years after having two babies. After that I'll move on to training for 10k and beyond. I love running.

Good luck. I love running as well. My wife always says I am a much better dad when i am running. It puts me in a better mood! :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I actually don't drink much water or gatorade when i am training on long runs. I just head out and drink when I get home. The farthest i go when training is about 10 miles. During the races i start cramping up right around 11 or 11.5 miles. And i have been drinking much more gatorade and water than I normally do when training.

Maybe try a couple of 12 miles to work out the cramping?
  • DLove9321
    Options

Yes, Normally i dont run marathon distance before the race, but this time around i will prob throw in a few 12 mile runs just to see what happens. Going to get the calf sleeves and try them out

• TavistockToad
    Options

Yes, Normally i dont run marathon distance before the race, but this time around i will prob throw in a few 12 mile runs just to see what happens. Going to get the calf sleeves and try them out

and you dont need to for this if the cramping is at 11 miles. you may be over hydrating as well if you don't train with water on your long runs