food diary viewing-stop whining

Options

Replies

• Chunkabutt83
    Options
    I hope no one finds this offensive but something is really bothering me. There are people i see whining and complaining how they cant lose weight and yada yada and then i take a look at their food diary---->>> and they eat mcdonalds and pizza and etc 24/7. Why join a weight loss plan, eat fast food and expect to lose weight??? And why be dumb enough to share your diary and still complain...

You will notice that if anyone posts on the message boards here and asks anything close to "what am I doing wrong", the immediate response is ALWAYS "open your diary so we can see". This site is full of voyeurs who just jump at the chance to offer their solution to everyone's problem. But the truth is that you can eat "clean" and still be overweight, eat low carb and still be overweight, eat very little sodium and still be overweight. In the end, it's an individual choice.

I personally try to abide by the 80/20 rule. I don't watch my sodium, as I don't have any medical conditions that require that. I'm not concerned about water retention. I figure my body has retained all the water it's going to at this point. LOL I will continue to eat junk food and fast food from time to time, but I try to balance that by eating well most of the time. Monday night I had a super pretzel for dinner at the ballgame, and today I'm having Taco Bell for lunch. And I have ice cream for desert every night about 9PM. But I'm still losing weight! :D

I don't think people are dumb for opening their diaries to the world. I do think it's rather ironic that Chunkabutt's diary is not public, tho... :tongue:

My advice to the complainers would be to start small and make better choices. Try to cut down the amount of fast food you eat, trade the fries for a side salad once in a while, opt for water or iced tea instead of the soda, start counting your fruits and veggies and aim for 5 a day... after a while you feel better and see results and you start wanting to do more. Everyone has to start somewhere, and drastic changes to your lifestyle create a lot of stress and are hard to sustain.

Best of luck to all! :)

i dont complain or ask questions about my diet so i dont need my diary open, i choose to hold myself accountable
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Maybe if the education system in this country (USA) actually taught proper physical activity as well as nutrition at an early age then we wouldn't have to worry about this. Also, maybe if parents gave a crap about their kids and actually taught proper nutrition, the same thing would happen. We basically have two completely failed systems (education + parenting) and there is no end in sight.

In other words, be prepared for more people saying they can't lose weight even though they're making the "right" choices by eating Pizza Hut 3 times a day and not understanding how they're getting bigger. Give it 20 years and things might change.

So true ......it's so important to educate kids at a young age about the benefits of a healthy lifestyle!
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and eat right. It ain't that hard, people.

If it wasn't hard, there would be no fat people.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I hope no one finds this offensive
    I hope they do...
    *wink*
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and eat right. It ain't that hard, people.

For some of us, it's quite a challenge. I've been battling my weight since I turned 8. I'm glad you're finding it an easy road, but for some it can be quite a rocky climb.

Sorry, I didn't really mean to come off sounding so snooty. It wasn't an "easy road" for me, but it wasn't *that* hard either. What made it all click was educating myself. Once I did a little reading and got to understand some very rudimentary basics of nutrition, at least knowing the "right" from "wrong" became easy. Armed with that knowledge, I looked at food in a whole new way. I actually wanted to eat right and not eat crap. And I kept feeling better and better, so the cycle kept feeding itself. A lot of people (not you in particular), can't be bothered to educate themselves. They always want the "quick fix" to be handed to them. They continue to eat poorly because they don't really know any better.

You may be a trend setter without knowing it (or perhaps you do know it). What you describe is a lot like a new healthy eating trand I've read a few articles about lately called "mindful eating". It's a lot of "touchy, feely' crap that kind of makes me laugh sometimes but mostly it's thinking about food as you eat it. Where it came from, what it took to prepare it, etc.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Most people don't know how to eat healhy. When they are raised in a family that eats fried foods and they go out to eat all of the time, they don't even realize its bad for them. My husband never even thought about it being bad for him when he ate out and had burgers and fries, until I came along.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    This post made me think about a friend of mine who has struggled with weight issues for years. Just posted a blog about it. "why can't I loose weight'.
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    i did make my diary public now so no one thinks im a hypocrite, i may not eat the best but you wont hear me complain!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Judgmental much?
    We all are. We just have different thresholds about what's acceptable.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with Op.. because i have a real life friend like this. I also think that part of the problem lies in the fact that we get tricked into thinking that a certain fast food item is healthy, even tho in reality its not. Case in point..

I went out to eat a few weeks ago with some friends, and that real life friend I mentioned above announces to the whole table as were deciding what to eat that she could get a grilled chicken sandwich or a turkey club and they would both be "healthy". Heres the catch though, she got fries on the side, plus an order of loaded waffle fries, an alcoholic drink and a coke.

There are also advertisements for fast food restaurants that say oh order X,Y and Z item and its less then 500 calories, when in reality most fast food meals are never under nor near 500 calories.

I think people just need to be educated in what is actually healthy and what is perceived as healthy. Once they learn to distinguish a difference, I doubt fast food would be the norm.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    All I can say is my diary is public and feel free to take a look. You will find things like Cream Puffs, QDoba Burritos, Ice Cream Sandwiches and other items that folks would try to avoid on a "diet". However, what you'll also notice is I'm not eating those things every day and in some cases I even break them up across multiple meals. I'm a firm believer that it's not a good idea to give up a favorite food and that rather we should be trying to find ways to work our favorite foods (no matter how unhealthy) into our overall diet using moderation and appropriate portion sizes. So perhaps when we see someone who hasn't figured that out yet, helping them make that plan would be a good approach. Helping folks to help themselves :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    I kind of agree with Op.. because i have a real life friend like this. I also think that part of the problem lies in the fact that we get tricked into thinking that a certain fast food item is healthy, even tho in reality its not. Case in point..

I went out to eat a few weeks ago with some friends, and that real life friend I mentioned above announces to the whole table as were deciding what to eat that she could get a grilled chicken sandwich or a turkey club and they would both be "healthy". Heres the catch though, she got fries on the side, plus an order of loaded waffle fries, an alcoholic drink and a coke.

There are also advertisements for fast food restaurants that say oh order X,Y and Z item and its less then 500 calories, when in reality most fast food meals are never under nor near 500 calories.

I think people just need to be educated in what is actually healthy and what is perceived as healthy. Once they learn to distinguish a difference, I doubt fast food would be the norm.

LOL we must have the same friend!! One day my friend and I were going in our lunch break and I suggested a place we have out here called the Corner Bakery - there are some relatively healthy choices. I like their turkey on whole wheat with mustard lettuce tomato and an iced tea. She told me she was on a diet and couldn't go there. So I told her to pick the place. We wound up at a food court in which I chose a Taco Bell fresco bean burrito (about the healthiest choice I was going to get at the food court) and she chose.............6 deep fried chicken wings, a large caesar salad and 2 big garlic and butter breadsticks with a coke to wash them down!!!!!!!!!! WTH!!! So....the turkey on wheat was 'unhealthy' because she said she's avoiding bread....but her choices were oK??? news flash......breadsticks are bread. Poor food choices! And she gets very touchy if you try to suggest a healthier alternative. But yet, she is always asking for diet tips. I want to be a supportive friend but it's frustrating!!
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I hope no one finds this offensive but something is really bothering me. There are people i see whining and complaining how they cant lose weight and yada yada and then i take a look at their food diary---->>> and they eat mcdonalds and pizza and etc 24/7. Why join a weight loss plan, eat fast food and expect to lose weight??? And why be dumb enough to share your diary and still complain...

I too have looked at some of the food diaries of the people whining. I can't believe what I see. They are over on mostly everything. Duh!! I don't usually make negative comments. I don't want to be rude or hurt anyones feelings but I would like to put my 2 cents in on this one because I have seen it posted so many times. .

Some people just have no clue about nutrition and what is healthy. They just eat the calories they are allowed no matter what it is.
    But I also feel that unless they live a very sheltered life' eating healthy' is all around us in the news, talk shows, tv ads, etc.and they should be able to use common sense.
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    All I can say is my diary is public and feel free to take a look. You will find things like Cream Puffs, QDoba Burritos, Ice Cream Sandwiches and other items that folks would try to avoid on a "diet". However, what you'll also notice is I'm not eating those things every day and in some cases I even break them up across multiple meals. I'm a firm believer that it's not a good idea to give up a favorite food and that rather we should be trying to find ways to work our favorite foods (no matter how unhealthy) into our overall diet using moderation and appropriate portion sizes. So perhaps when we see someone who hasn't figured that out yet, helping them make that plan would be a good approach. Helping folks to help themselves :)

i totally agree and am relatively the same, i dont cut out all the foods i like, just watch my portions and how often i consume them. when i wrote this it was specifically geared towards someone who is not your size, shes my size which is morbidly obese and she consumes fast food 2-3 times a day, multiple sandwiches and then complains about not losing weight. Moderation is key!
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options

I too have looked at some of the food diaries of the people whining. I can't believe what I see. They are over on mostly everything. Duh!! I don't usually make negative comments. I don't want to be rude or hurt anyones feelings but I would like to put my 2 cents in on this one because I have seen it posted so many times. .

Some people just have no clue about nutrition and what is healthy. They just eat the calories they are allowed no matter what it is.
    But I also feel that unless they live a very sheltered life' eating healthy' is all around us in the news, talk shows, tv ads, etc.and they should be able to use common sense.

AMEN!!!!!!!! who doesn't know that eating french fries and cheeseburgers are bad for you!?!??! I mean really!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

LOL we must have the same friend!! One day my friend and I were going in our lunch break and I suggested a place we have out here called the Corner Bakery - there are some relatively healthy choices. I like their turkey on whole wheat with mustard lettuce tomato and an iced tea. She told me she was on a diet and couldn't go there. So I told her to pick the place. We wound up at a food court in which I chose a Taco Bell fresco bean burrito (about the healthiest choice I was going to get at the food court) and she chose.............6 deep fried chicken wings, a large caesar salad and 2 big garlic and butter breadsticks with a coke to wash them down!!!!!!!!!! WTH!!! So....the turkey on wheat was 'unhealthy' because she said she's avoiding bread....but her choices were oK??? news flash......breadsticks are bread. Poor food choices! And she gets very touchy if you try to suggest a healthier alternative. But yet, she is always asking for diet tips. I want to be a supportive friend but it's frustrating!!

Apparently we must! My friend is always talking about how this food and that food is healthier for you, yet she binge drinks on the weekends and is always stuffing her face.. so obviously it can't be that healthy. I want to support my friend too but i agree its frustrating.. esp because when they don't listen!

P.s I love Corner Bakery and live right around the "corner"(haha) from one. Their loaded baked potato soup and broccoli cheddar soup are to die for!
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Personally, I really find whinning to be cathartic.

Seriously, one thing that I know is that I will never loose weight on a diet, but only when I learn to eat smart in the real world. And, the real world had McDonald's and Pizza Hut in them. What I am learning is how to navigate those minefields without loosing the battle.

So, when you see someone whine cuz they aren't loosing weight, but they are eating at a fast food place, give them some help in making a better choice next time - what on the menu at McDonalds do you think is tasty but less harmful to the weight gain? Maybe suggest that next time they have a salad and one slice instead of two slices.

Just my thoughts.

Amen! I do try to stay out of fast food more than I used to, but I have to learn to deal with the real world and eating on the go is often a part of that.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options

same here, my diary is public and you will find ice cream, cake and a burger occasionally. Esp on Friday nite that's my cheat meal day. but the rest of the week I eat healthy.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    It is sad that so many people have never learned about nutrition or don't know how to cook for themselves. I like to think that I can help those people figure it out a little bit, not that I'm an expert. Many people think that if they are under their calories then everything is okay, not because they are stupid, they just don't know how to eat right.

Annoying, yes, but totally understandable :)
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Maybe if the education system in this country (USA) actually taught proper physical activity as well as nutrition at an early age then we wouldn't have to worry about this. Also, maybe if parents gave a crap about their kids and actually taught proper nutrition, the same thing would happen. We basically have two completely failed systems (education + parenting) and there is no end in sight.

In other words, be prepared for more people saying they can't lose weight even though they're making the "right" choices by eating Pizza Hut 3 times a day and not understanding how they're getting bigger. Give it 20 years and things might change.

While I will admit there are a lot of parents that need better parenting skills, and probably a lot more knowledge, I would say that 99% of parents actually do care about their kids. Their idea of what is good or proper may differ from yours or mine, but that doesn't mean they don't love their kids.

There is also the plan fact that there are a lot of parents out their just trying to survive - trying to do way too much with way too litte time and resources, whether that is money, knowledge, access to matierials, etc.. Quadruple that if they are single parents.

Sometimes it is about just feeding your kids, and figuring out how to spend enough time with them while juggling work and laundry, etc.