How to fit exercise in a busy day

Options
I’m 39, a divorced mom with my daughter with me most of the time right now. I also work a full time job. How does one effectively fit exercise in? Let me add that my MD suggested exercise 1 hour a day for 6 days a week.... thought of breaking an hour into small little workouts but is that effective?

Replies

• LLCin2019
    LLCin2019 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That makes sense, thanks!
  • XMetalMomX
    XMetalMomX Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 2 boys, full time job. This is only my second week, but I thought I'd share anyway. The first week I didn't add in any exercise. This week, my only goal is to get to 10,000 steps (counted by my cell phone) every day. Walking during breaks, lunch, to meetings, etc. So far so good! Next week, I'm going to try and add 15 minutes of yoga at night just before the kids go to bed so they can join in if they want to.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You plan the entire week a week ahead. If something comes up totally unexpected you get up earlier.

John
  • Whey115
    Whey115 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I understand, I prefer to work out in the afternoon but between my hectic work schedule and activities with my son, it wasn't convenient. I now workout at home in the morning before my son is up.

It means waking up a bit earlier but I am trying to make this a routine since I was skipping workouts in the evening. This way I can be consistent and make this a lifestyle change.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If daughter is old enough, take her with you to gym or park. Some gyms have free child care for 2 hrs. Perhaps a neighbor with similar situation would swap nights so you could do 3 double workouts per week
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Walking during your lunch hour is one way to get in some steps. When you take the kids to the park, run/jog and work in things like lunges and squats and calisthenics. I have 2 kids, work full time, but having my spouse around to watch the kids makes a difference. If she is old enough, you could go to the gym at the crack of done before she wakes up too.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It depends on your objectives - for example, if like me you were a diabetic trying to control blood sugar, three walks of ten minutes each right after eating is better for that purpose than one thirty minute walk. If you are trying to build endurance for a marathon, you would need to do some long runs. But regardless of objectives, some exercise is better than none.

If you can work your daughter's activities into your routine that might help - for example you could walk while waiting on her during an activity, or do something together. And even five or ten minutes can be long enough to fit in a routine - I start every morning with about ten minutes of bodyweight and stretching, and many fitness blender videos are less than ten minutes long. HIIT is also good for when you only have a little time. Maybe you have a couple of days a week when you can schedule yourself to do something for an hour or more, and break the rest up.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I edited because I sounded rude but don't mean to be.

Maybe try a half hour first.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    splitting workout up in 15 minutes intervals is about the same as 1 hour full on. Some is better than nothing if you can only do 15 minutes 1 day that is fine take a walking lunch break if you can walk and eat a sandwich or other portable food.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    There's 24 hours in a day and you're asking how to fit in 1 hour of exercise? Do. Not. Comprehend.

Maybe try a half hour first.
    Eight hours sleep, eight hours work (nine for people who get a lunch hour at work), plus eating, showering, commuting, shopping, preparing meals, and other necessary activities leaves about four free hours. Even those who do no work at all have to sleep. No one has twenty four free hours per day to pick from.

I know. I didn't say there are 24 free hours. But...you should said there's 4. I have about 3 free hours. I go to the gym. If you want to exercise you just have to use some of that time. If you want to create more time, you might have to make some sacrifices or change things up.

I think having the little one on your own makes it harder. I can't really imagine. My good friend works out with me a few times per week and leaves her child at the childcare in the gym. I don't really think 5 days per week is necessary. If so, some of it and all of it can be done at home.
  • mhdashler
    mhdashler Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I try to involve my kids in my exercise as much as I can so I can get the exercise in with the added benefit of spending more time with them. I started teaching my then 5-year old daughter how to play tennis last year. Granted, I don't burn as many calories playing tennis with her as I would with someone more competitive, but she enjoys it and I enjoy being with her. We also ride bikes together. I bought her a set of golf clubs last month and have gotten her out on the driving range with me a few times. Like others have suggested, I try to take advantage of my lunch break to walk and burn some calories there too.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    mhdashler wrote: »
    I try to involve my kids in my exercise as much as I can so I can get the exercise in with the added benefit of spending more time with them. I started teaching my then 5-year old daughter how to play tennis last year. Granted, I don't burn as many calories playing tennis with her as I would with someone more competitive, but she enjoys it and I enjoy being with her. We also ride bikes together. I bought her a set of golf clubs last month and have gotten her out on the driving range with me a few times. Like others have suggested, I try to take advantage of my lunch break to walk and burn some calories there too.

This is awesome....I hope I can share experiences like that with my own kids someday.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    mhdashler wrote: »

this is so cute your such a good parent
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have 2 kids. I am fortunate to work 3.5 miles from home and I leave work at 4:30 every day, so I go directly to the gym after work. I keep my workouts short and I’m out of there by 5:30.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I also try to do more active things with my kids on the weekends, like last weekend I took my toddler on a “hike” lol. We were out exploring for an hour or so.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    As others have said, try to find ways to fit in exercise with your child, or when she’s otherwise occupied - not sure how old she is, is she in any activities of her own that you can get some exercise in while she’s engaged in that? Don’t underestimate just basic movement for calorie burn - you don’t have to do all out sweaty cardio for it to be beneficial for your goals. Just getting up and moving while at work - taking walks at lunch, or on breaks, parking at the back of the lot, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, dancing around being silly with your daughter - all of these things burn calories and contribute to a higher NEAT.

Good luck!